Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a blower for my 2012 X540. Has HDAP rear tires. Thinking though for MN winter snows chains would be helpful for traction. Have 2 suit cases for extra rear weight as well. Question is what will work for chains. I have nice sealcoated blacktop and wondering if the rubber chains are worth a darm or will metal chains be needed. Just dont want to ruin the asphalt. THanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm in a similar situation with a GX345. Just purchased a blower for it and just installed new HDAP (All-Trail) tires.

Based on my research, not first hand experience, HDAPs with a blower and enough weight works well enough if you don't have a steep driveway and you are not dealing with ice. From what I have read, 2 suitcase weights might be a little on the light side. I have wheel weights and 4 suitcase weights.

I've yet to use my setup but I am trying to avoid chains as I don't want to mark up my driveway. If you do need chains, a number of people swear by rubber chains which shouldn't destroy your driveway.

Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will chime in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I ran a similar setup in Mn for years. I had rear wheel weights and two suitcase weights installed. I experienced a lot of spinning and very slow progress (sometimes I needed to ram) with larger snowfalls. I then bought chains and was upset by the amount of damage it was causing despite my slow speeds and cautious acceleration. I ended up finding some lugs on craigslist mounted on JD wheels. The shaft diameter was larger so I made a bushing with a bastard key. That didn't solve the problem but it was better. I eventually went to 6 suitcase weights, rear tire weights, and the lug tires. That did the trick for me. It wasn't as good as chains but I could manage without any driveway damage nor did I have to back up and ram the snow. Progress at times was a little slower (especially in snowplow snot) but it would work its way through.

Rubber chains were available at the time. They were not getting good reviews on asphalt so I never did try them. The new design looks different and might be the ticket?

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I’d go with Terra grips (rubber chains) I have a X590, keep in mind weight is your friend for snow blowing. I use 4 suitcase weights and 2 wheel weights for additional 268 lbs weight. With that added ballast, I’ve tried snow blowing with and without the terra grips. I can definitely snow blow without the terra grips, but I slip and slide much more and often have to use the diff lock. To be honest I seldom have to use the diff lock with the terra grips. Additionally the rubber chains will not scratch up your driveway at all. Some say metal chains work better in heavy ice conditions. But I’ve never had any issues with my Terragrips

BTW that 47( or 44 inch) snow blower moves an unbelievable amount of snow- eventually you might want to consider a cab

·
Registered
359 Posts
I’d go with Terra grips (rubber chains) I have a X590, keep in mind weight is your friend for snow blowing. I use 4 suitcase weights and 2 wheel weights for additional 268 lbs weight. With that added ballast, I’ve tried snow blowing with and without the terra grips. I can definitely snow blow without the terra grips, but I slip and slide much more and often have to use the diff lock. To be honest I seldom have to use the diff lock with the terra grips. Additionally the rubber chains will not scratch up your driveway at all. Some say metal chains work better in heavy ice conditions. But I’ve never had any issues with my Terragrips

BTW that 47( or 44 inch) snow blower moves an unbelievable amount of snow- eventually you might want to consider a cab
I bought an X580 this spring and sold my Ariens Pro 28. I had no issues with the Ariens other than I'm 67 and my 250' 3 car drive way runs up a steep hill. Not to mention the Ariens Pro weighs in at almost 400lbs, a very big machine.

So when I bought the 580 I still had my GT18, which was maxed out with any option available. I had 400 lbs on the rear, lugs with chains, but even that wasn't enough when the snow got over 12-14" up here, and with no differential lock I would end up stuck at least twice every time it snowed. That's why the Ariens Pro came to be.

When I bought the 580 I bought the 48" blade, weights and Terra grips. Our first storm left 12" of heavy snow. more like slush, and it was followed by a light rain. I got on the 580, drove it out of the shed, dropped the blade and finished the driveway in 20 minutes. 20 minutes compared to what used to take over an hour or more with the best blower on the market (15hp).

The Terra Grips worked wonderfully. They didn't chew up the driveway, and with the diff locked nothing stopped the tractor, even the 2 foot bank left by the plows at the bottom of the driveway.

My only wish is that the JD would come out with a powered angle kit for the 500 series blades. That with the already nice hydraulics would make my world complete.

Don't hesitate to buy Terra Grips, they work great.

·
Registered
111 Posts
TerraGrip

Has anyone ran Terragrip traction bands on all four tires on a 4 wheel drive setup? I use an ATV to plow skating rinks on the lake but I wonder if I would have enough traction with TerraGrips installed. Chains are not an option because of the damage they cause. I know a bar chain would do the trick but it makes a mess of the skating rink.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
I ran a similar setup in Mn for years. I had rear wheel weights and two suitcase weights installed. I experienced a lot of spinning and very slow progress (sometimes I needed to ram) with larger snowfalls. I then bought chains and was upset by the amount of damage it was causing despite my slow speeds and cautious acceleration.
The key to not damaging pavement with chains is to not spin the tires. For 20+ years I ran chains on an old Ford 9N with a rear blade and for the past 5 years have ran a JD 2720 with fluid filled rear tires and chains on all four tires. I have it setup with a 54" blower on the front and a 5-foot blade on the rear. My driveway is gravel but I clean several neighbors driveways which are asphalt and haven't really experienced any noticeable damage.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
IThe Terra Grips worked wonderfully. They didn't chew up the driveway, and with the diff locked nothing stopped the tractor, even the 2 foot bank left by the plows at the bottom of the driveway.
My brother uses Terra Grips on a Ford 1210 tractor. They work very well although his driveway is perfectly flat. The only issue he has had is with some of the rubber cross straps breaking prematurely and needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts

I have a 345 no differential lock rear end 4 suitcase wheel weight with hdap tires.Just had the driveway paved and first time out in wet heavy snow had no problems.If needed the rubber chains I will get.I've heard good things about them on other forums especially if you have turf tires.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 345 no differential lock rear end 4 suitcase wheel weight with hdap tires.Just had the driveway paved and first time out in wet heavy snow had no problems.If needed the rubber chains I will get.I've heard good things about them on other forums especially if you have turf tires.
I use the terragrips over HDAP tires- much better traction with terra grips than not. Its Early TJR- with amount of snow you get, I'm sure you'll get some good tests in - especially with deep fluffy snow

The key to not damaging pavement with chains is to not spin the tires. For 20+ years I ran chains on an old Ford 9N with a rear blade and for the past 5 years have ran a JD 2720 with fluid filled rear tires and chains on all four tires. I have it setup with a 54" blower on the front and a 5-foot blade on the rear. My driveway is gravel but I clean several neighbors driveways which are asphalt and haven't really experienced any noticeable damage.
I agree 100% on not spinning the tires with chains- much easier to accomplish that with 3,000 and 4,000 lb tractor than with 1000 lb garden tractor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts