Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1025r
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has helped me tremendously solving two of my problems. I thank everyone again.
This will be my first year facing the snow in New Jersey with my 1025r.
I have a 54 inch front snowblower. Rear wheels filled and a 70lb weight on each tire. I am going to hook the box blade with a quickhitch on the rear. Turf tires
I have a small slope on my 100 yard driveway. Three questions
1) Do I need Chains?
2) If so what type? And brand?
3) best place to buy them

Thank you

·
Registered
89 Posts
My first winter in Chicago with it coming up, but everything I've seen suggests you're going to be good to go. I had chains on a little lawn tractor, it was amazing what that little guy could push, but it also tore up the asphalt and stamped concrete where it spun.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,013 Posts
I'd go with Terra Grips if you dont want to tear up the driveway.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
400 Posts
Jersey snow is heavy, wet, and turns to ice before it melts in my experience. I don't think chains would hurt to have around especially if you have a slight grade. I have a set I bought right from my dealer. I've never needed them, however.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
When snow , melts and turns to ICE,, Chains .. IMO It is better to have the chains than needing them and the snow keeps gets deeper and deeper. and you are trying to find a set of chains.

I made mine from full size truck tires. , had to weld the crosslinks to make them longer but after close to 20+ years of having the chains on for winter , have never had a crosslink to break.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,013 Posts
What are the advantages y ages and disadvantages of the Terra grips. Also what size do I get
The rubber won't gouge the surface but at the expense of a little grip. Chains are better for ice but some people dislike the marks they can leave on the surface.

The 1025R uses a 26x12-12 rear tire.

·
Premium Member
10,128 Posts
I made mine a set .......I did all 4 tires to help with steering for 250 bucks. The dealer wanted 600 just for the rear.
Very nice design.(y)

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
I have Versa Turfs and last year I used chains, my first winter season with the 1023e and JD plow.. I live in the northeast, and this part of the state is well know for deep snowfalls. Last year the smallest storm dumped 21". I plow 4 of my neighbors driveways, plus my own which is well over 300', wraps around the back of the house, and ends up at the machine shed. The back section turns to gravel.

40 years ago I shoveled the driveway by hand, then bought my GT18 and used it with a plow, them my Ariens 32" 15hp pro, then to my X580 with a plow, then my X738, and now my 1023e with a Frontier plow. Last year I used chains, but this year I'm not going to bother with them at all. Rear weight, Versaturfs and a plow will do the job just fine.

Snow Tire Property Window Vehicle
Snow Automotive tire Motor vehicle Slope Freezing
Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Car
Adaptation Grass Gas Tints and shades Tree

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,689 Posts
I'm in SE PA - Haven't used chains and have R4s. Run a JD 54" plow, quickattach mount. Traction isn't the best, but I've managed. This last year was the most snow we had. Prior to the start of the snow season, I participated in the GTT tire groover lending program and grooved my tires. That was a noticeable difference, I don't plan on getting chains. I will however replace my tires if they ever wear out or fail from punctures or delaminating at the first chance with Versa Terfs.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I'd go with Terra Grips if you dont want to tear up the driveway.

X2
that is what I use

rob

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
I think you will need 400-500 lbs ballast in the back to get the traction you want, especially going uphill. Please check the weight on your box blade. I don't think they weigh this much. As I've said in other posts, chains are more important for being able to stop the tractor when you must stop, like near embankments or ditches. I can usually get the tractor moving without chains. You'll see how important stopping is the first time you want to and can't. I ordered my chains the same day that happened to me.

Keane

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,674 Posts
I used chains on a 2wd tractor, never needed them for a 4wd tractor if you maintain the correct rear ballast and a Box Blade is NOT enough rear ballast...............I run between 550 and 850 rear pounds of ballast on my rear 3ph carry all, Plus my tractor has the Mauser cab, which weighs about 425 pounds on its own.

The Frontier 48" box blade weighs 385 pounds according to the Frontier Specifications page.

The R4's have the poorest winter traction where the Turf tires clean better than the R4's and Versa radials are a vastly superior tire. With the turf tires and the right amount of rear ballast, you shouldn't need the chains. At the worst, the Terra Grips would provide additional traction, but I don't feel you should need them if the tractor is properly set up.

If you have asphalt, pavers or any surface you don't want to risk damaging and you find you need additional traction, I would use the Terra Grips before chains.

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
Nearly 20 years ago we paved the private road in our development. That beautiful fresh asphalt was so much nicer than the gravel road.
After the first winter it was scarred up from the chains on the snow removal equipment. Terribly sad.
Chains certainly have their place. On a finished surface is NOT where they belong.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a steep driveway section. Using 47” blower, 4wd, r4’s, no problem. I have 6 32# suitcases on back, well plus me ;). worth a little momentum going up no problem going thru 8-12” snow. I’m getting a reasonably clean surface And not trying to push the snow. Even clearing gravel path to barn is ok. I’d say try it first w/o chains and you’ll probably be ok rather than rip up the surface and find you didn’t really need them. Better to change the tires

·
Super Moderator
6,926 Posts
I run R4s on a little bit bigger machine so things are a little different boat but I'd recommend you have something to put on.

I originally bought steel chains and they do turn these machines into little Billy goats that will climb through anything but as mentioned, they'll also eat a paved driveway. I picked up a set of the Terra Grips last fall and ran them last winter. They work well on everything except solid ice so they tend to take are of 95% of my issues. I still have the steel chains if need be.

So my recommendation would be to have one or the other on hand just incase you do need them. The Terra Grips are cheaper than steel chains and will cover most situations without damaging anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.