Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The arborist that did our tree trimming yesterday uses canola oil or vegetable oil for chainsaw bar oil, says hes been using it for years, 15+.
Searching the internet indicated a lot a people use it, who knew.
I've always used straight 30w motor oil....now at approximately $5 per quart.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
Huh. I'd never given it much thought. I've had a one chainsaw or another for 30+ years now and always just use plain old bar & chain oil. I've never heard of anyone using anything else.

I wonder how long it takes for that stuff (veggie oils) to go rancid and if that would have any effect on a saw.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh. I'd never given it much thought. I've had a one chainsaw or another for 30+ years now and always just use plain old bar & chain oil. I've never heard of anyone using anything else.

I wonder how long it takes for that stuff (veggie oils) to go rancid and if that would have any effect on a saw.
I think we always have a fresh bottle in the kitchen. :lol:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Some years ago, I read that Bar Oil has a stick factor built in for it to cling to the bar and chain rather than being flung off. Cooking Oil? Interesting... Rancid comes to mind although it sounds odd.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bar oil for me its cheap and thick. I'd think 30 weight is a bit thin. I'll keep this in mind if I run low on bar oil some weekend.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just read online that some manufactures bar oil is based on vegetable oil.
IMO the sticky factor of oil at 13000 RPM is nothing more that a selling feature.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
I think we always have a fresh bottle in the kitchen. :lol:
Yeah, but do you drain any excess out of your saw before you put it away? I only use my chainsaw once every 2 or 3 months. I'd hate to fill it, use it to cut up one tree, put it away and then pull it out 3 months later only to find it full of nasty, rancid oil. I suppose if it's veggie oil you can just open the filler cap and pour it out onto the lawn or into the woods.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but do you drain any excess out of your saw before you put it away? I only use my chainsaw once every 2 or 3 months. I'd hate to fill it, use it to cut up one tree, put it away and then pull it out 3 months later only to find it full of nasty, rancid oil. I suppose if it's veggie oil you can just open the filler cap and pour it out onto the lawn or into the woods.
From what I read, going rancid is not an issue. At least with the canola oil.

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
When I used to moose hunt, several fellas would have a small arborist saw with veggie oil in it to cut up their kill. (Some prefer that method over an axe to split the hip.) We never had an issue with it, but we weren't cutting trees with those saws either. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
When I used to moose hunt, several fellas would have a small arborist saw with veggie oil in it to cut up their kill. (Some prefer that method over an axe to split the hip.) We never had an issue with it, but we weren't cutting trees with those saws either. :mocking:
I have also heard of this, a dedicated saw and only vegetable oil.

I use the cheapest bar oil I can find. Used to be 2/$5.00, now I am lucky to get 1 gallon for $5

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Any cost savings?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use whatever bar oil I find the quickest...usually at Wallyworld. Occationally if at dealer to buy other "stuff", I'll spring for the expensive bar oil out of convenience.

As others have said in a pinch substitutes such as kitchen or 30W would do.

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
For the price of bars & chains, I'll stick to the good stuff, from the dealer! I'm using Husqvqrna now, have used Stihl & their oil does have more stringiness to it. I just paid $95 for a 16" bar, sprocket & two chains, to me, the name brand oil is worth the price! I used to use the cheapest I could find, seemed like my chains & bars didn't last as long with it. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
131 Posts
In the past we would run used motor oil in the bar oiler. Also, the sharpened chains would sit in a bath of used motor oil until ready to install. Nowadays we use the store bought bar & chain oil. Cheapest we can find.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My father saves the oil from his truck for his chainsaw when its time to change it out. This gives him ~6 quarts for his saws. I haven't tried this in mine yet but I must say, he's been doing this for many many years and not had an issue with bars or the chains. I still have bar oil on my shelf for this purpose but maybe I'm just not adventurous enough to try other products. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I cut up a few chord each year and don't use all that much bar oil so looking for a cheaper solution isn't that great of a deal for me. I know the bar oil is sticky so it makes me think it sticks in the bar better.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Real bar oil seems best, but I got a bargain (25 cents a quart) on 50 quarts of various new motor oils at a church yard sale. I expect to wear out chains either way, bars seem to last a long time. Since it was only 25 cents a quart I use new motor oil and even transmission fluid may be included.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well we used the canola oil all day yesterday, $2.95 for 2 quarts from the dollar store. Had no issues . With what is left over we're going to make french fries. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
For the price of bars & chains, I'll stick to the good stuff, from the dealer! I'm using Husqvqrna now, have used Stihl & their oil does have more stringiness to it. I just paid $95 for a 16" bar, sprocket & two chains, to me, the name brand oil is worth the price! I used to use the cheapest I could find, seemed like my chains & bars didn't last as long with it. ~~ Lowell
I run the Stihl chain lube as well. As often as I use the saw - I still have the original gallon that I bought with the saw.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts