Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran up to my local Deere dealership yesterday and while there bought myself a brand new Stihl MS251 CBE "Farm Boss" chainsaw.

It was raining yesterday so I didn't get a chance to play with it until this morning. The dealer had filled it with gas and bar oil so all I had to do with pull the rope and go. I have a stack of tree length oak logs waiting to be cut up so I figured I'd give her a whirl.

She fired right up and I started cutting. Got through 18 cuts and the chain locked up. The engine runs but it acts like the chain brake is on. I checked that two or three times and it isn't. I can loosen the chain tension but even if I shut her down and loosen the chain, it won't move. It's like the clutch is locked up.

Has anyone run into this? Is there something simple that I'm overlooking?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ran up to my local Deere dealership yesterday and while there bought myself a brand new Stihl MS251 CBE "Farm Boss" chainsaw.

It was raining yesterday so I didn't get a chance to play with it until this morning. The dealer had filled it with gas and bar oil so all I had to do with pull the rope and go. I have a stack of tree length oak logs waiting to be cut up so I figured I'd give her a whirl.

She fired right up and I started cutting. Got through 18 cuts and the chain locked up. The engine runs but it acts like the chain brake is on. I checked that two or three times and it isn't. I can loosen the chain tension but even if I shut her down and loosen the chain, it won't move. It's like the clutch is locked up.

Has anyone run into this? Is there something simple that I'm overlooking?
If you take the the bar and chain off, does the sprocket spin? If so, possibly you got some sawdust in the bar tip sprocket. With the bar and chain on the saw, jam the chain into a log and spin the chain backwards to clear it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I second checking the sprocket at the bar tip.
Does the chain brake feel normal when you actuate it?
Maybe disconnected chain brake linkage?
Is it one of those with the inertial activating mechanisms?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
If you take the the bar and chain off, does the sprocket spin? If so, possibly you got some sawdust in the bar tip sprocket. With the bar and chain on the saw, jam the chain into a log and spin the chain backwards to clear it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This. I just had the same thing happen on my MS 362 R C-M the other day cutting down an Ash Tree. It locked up and I thought it was the brake. After messing with the brake nothing worked. I took it in the shop and pulled the chain to discover the sprocket on the tip of the bar was plugged up with saw dust. I used a screwdriver to get the sprocket moving. Put it back together and it ran fine after that.

·
Super Moderator
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be danged if you didn't hit the nail directly on the head! Went out and played with it and it was the bar sprocket that was holding things up. I've played with chainsaws for 30+ years and never had that happen before.

But... this is why I love this place. Simple question, simple answer. BINGO! :yahoo:

Thank you! I owe ya a beer! :good2:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I'll be danged if you didn't hit the nail directly on the head! Went out and played with it and it was the bar sprocket that was holding things up. I've played with chainsaws for 30+ years and never had that happen before.

But... this is why I love this place. Simple question, simple answer. BINGO! :yahoo:

And it only took 4 minutes to get your answer. And a few of us learned something new Incase it happens

·
Registered
3,837 Posts

Thanks for reporting back Jim, as I knew you would. As mentioned, we all learn from these posts and nothing is more irksome than a problem being solved that we never hear back on. I'm banking this tidbit of info for future reference.

BTW - If sld961 doesn't want that beer, I'd be happy to stand in for him. :cheers:

·
Registered
20,805 Posts
While we are talking about chain bar sprockets.....this is something that I never even realized after running saws most of my life. Picked up one of these sprocket grease guns for something like $10 when I bought my last saw.

86410E4B-B055-4E50-9D67-AF34EF34A639.jpeg

You Need This Tool For Chainsaw Bar Maintenance! Tool Review Of Oregon Grease Guns - YouTube

Not saying that this is what JimR’s issue was especially with a new saw but just another little maintenance item for those of us who are OCD about stuff like this.

I’ve been cutting a lot of soft pine this last year which gums up everything quickly. So each time I take my chain off to clean the bar groove I give the sprocket a couple shots.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Sawdust in sprocket

I've had that happen fairly often, not daily but certainly it's not unusual.

The last time I checked, Stihl bars don't have the lube spot on the nose sprocket anymore. My dealer doesn't even carry the lube anymore but I use it on my Husky saw. It makes sense to grease that sprocket to me but Stihl seems to think differently.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
While we are talking about chain bar sprockets.....this is something that I never even realized after running saws most of my life. Picked up one of these sprocket grease guns for something like $10 when I bought my last saw.

You Need This Tool For Chainsaw Bar Maintenance! Tool Review Of Oregon Grease Guns - YouTube

Not saying that this is what JimR’s issue was especially with a new saw but just another little maintenance item for those of us who are OCD about stuff like this.

I’ve been cutting a lot of soft pine this last year which gums up everything quickly. So each time I take my chain off to clean the bar groove I give the sprocket a couple shots.
I have TWO! I could not find mine, so last time I was in Menards I bought another, under $7! Then, of course, the missing one showed up. I think it was jealous :mocking: it was being replaced. So I filled it with grease and have TWO :good2:

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts