Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Wish I could help you but I just always use a file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: jdmich

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Different direction

Not to run you off track but I've used a Granberg sharpener for years. You don't have to take the chain off the saw and it does a very nice job. It will also run off a battery so you can use it away from the shop.

The downside is that it only runs on 12v but I use a converter at home.

I can come close to factory sharpness with it. Probably not as good as a new chain, but very close.

Treefarmer

Reactions: PaDave

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I have the Timber Tuff and use it with CBN sharpening discs. Takes no time at all to get your chain back sharp and usable. It's a bit of overkill unless you're sharpening chains a bunch of chains on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Well, not to derail your plan or anything, and this isnt exactly what you asked for, but I was going to go the electric route a while back, but then found the Stihl 2 in 1 Easy File/Pferd CS-X Chain Sharp file.
I cant imagine anything faster after using it.
Takes me about 2-3 minutes to go over a 20" chain, and I can do it in the field, which is very handy, and way cheaper than just about any corded sharpener.

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts
Well, not to derail your plan or anything, and this isnt exactly what you asked for, but I was going to go the electric route a while back, but then found the Stihl 2 in 1 Easy File/Pferd CS-X Chain Sharp file.
I cant imagine anything faster after using it.
Takes me about 2-3 minutes to go over a 20" chain, and I can do it in the field, which is very handy, and way cheaper than just about any corded sharpener.
I used a Dremel tool until it burn up this year. I got the Pfred 2 in 1 system for Christmas, but have not tried it yet :dunno: so I can't say how well it works.

Years ago I took a couple of chains to chainsaw shop and paid to have them sharpened. They ground over 1/2 the cutter off. I complained and was told me they have to grind until all cutters are the same. At that rate I would only get two sharpenings out of chain. I never went back. IIRC they charged about 1/4-1/3 the price of new high quality chain.

Reactions: PaDave and glc

·
Registered
934 Posts
I need to buy a chainsaw sharpener which is easy to use and should be more consistent. I read a post Which is the best Electric Chainsaw Sharpener? (2018 Reviews) where i found two types of chainsaw sharpener oregon 511 and timber tuff cs bwm. Please suggest the best one out of these.
Lots of us have the 2-in-1 handheld sharpeners and are very happy. If you're not fully committed to electric, check out some of the comments here:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tools-equipment/178076-stihl-saw-sharpener-chain-brake.html

Reactions: jdmich

·
Registered
169 Posts
My full time job is cutting metal (own a machine shop), my part time job is cutting timber, and my hobby is hunting (cutting meat).. Everyday, I’m cutting something. This doesn’t necessarily make me an expert but I do know how to sharpen most things.

This is what I consider to be the best thing available for homeowners and firewood cutters looking to sharpen a chainsaw chain. I use one for maintaining my chains on my smaller saws.
(My falling saws have square ground chains, so this won’t work for them). The 2 in 1 addresses one thing that a lot of people miss which is the depth gage. If you can’t get a sharp chain with this thing you might not be a good candidate for running a saw.

!!!Best 2 in 1 Chainsaw Chain Sharpener File!!! How to use/review - YouTube

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
My full time job is cutting metal (own a machine shop), my part time job is cutting timber, and my hobby is hunting (cutting meat).. Everyday, I’m cutting something. This doesn’t necessarily make me an expert but I do know how to sharpen most things.

This is what I consider to be the best thing available for homeowners and firewood cutters looking to sharpen a chainsaw chain. I use one for maintaining my chains on my smaller saws.
(My falling saws have square ground chains, so this won’t work for them). The 2 in 1 addresses one thing that a lot of people miss which is the depth gage. If you can’t get a sharp chain with this thing you might not be a good candidate for running a saw.

!!!Best 2 in 1 Chainsaw Chain Sharpener File!!! How to use/review - YouTube
Fairly certain they make/brand the sharpener for Stihl too!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dremel tool attachment here. It takes an hour or so to get it set up correctly at first, but once you have dialed in it does a really nice job.

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fairly certain they make/brand the sharpener for Stihl too!
Yes, that is correct. The Stihl one is identical other than color and costs about $10 more.

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have had really good luck with my Harbor Freight electric chainsaw sharpener. I also have a Tiberline manual sharpener that works very well.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Just got a Stihl 2/1 filer to try. I won't say who from where, but "someone" told me it would save me time by sharpening "2 teeth at a time"!:laugh:

I don't usually hit the depth rakers every time with my Stihl single file holders. Just lightly touching up it is not necessary. Whack a few teeth and I will have to do the whole chain around. (Double filers might just be a way to sell more chain...?:mocking:)

For those of you getting a chain pro sharpened: If you have hand filed a chain to the point of the teeth being different lengths, it will take some off the whole chain to get the teeth to the shortest link which a machine will do. Buy a new chain and use a Granberg, etc. accurate hand filihng guide or get good with a free hand file guide keeping the angles right and the pro sharpening won't have to lose so much tooth.

Filing a chain right is very quick and satisfying done right. Finding out you have filed one wrong a bunch of times is frustrating both cutting and filing. It ain't "rocket science", but it is "redneck science" which anyone can learn. There's enough footage on Euuutube to teach anybody anything (and I mean ANYTHING!):laugh:

Don't push files past their useful life! They DO WEAR OUT. Every few teeth turn the file in the holder 1/8 of a turn or so, make it a habit and files will last way longer. But when a file is done, it's DONE and trying to get decent results on a chain is futile. The price of files won't break the bank, have plenty of spares to keep sharpening easier, faster and more accurate.

I have yet to figger out how to rotate the files in a 2/1 holder every few strokes like my old holder. I'm just getting too old to understand that "pitchur sheet" that comes with the holder. Maybe this thing sells files too.:laugh:

Nothing like seeing those nice uniform chips flying out of the sprocket well after YOU sharpened your own chain!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have worked in the Tool making biz for 30 some years.
I have tried several different types of sharpeners.
Started with a file and a gage and ended up with a electric sharpener.

I find that one big fault is consitancy from one side of the saw to the other.

I ened up with Stihl electric one that I found used.

like this

View attachment USG_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'd like that chain holder system minus the motor for hand filing. Been thinking about using an old guide bar and some dohickies to hold the chain in place...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts