Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok wise ones....I changed the oil today and want to change the fuel filters too. The inline filter is no prob. But the locking collar on the other filter, what are you all using to loosen it? I am thinking I need to buy a bigger set of channel locks? As always, thank you!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks psrumors, that's what I figured. I don't have a coil over wrench either, so I get to go tool shopping!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I haven't changed my fuel filters on my 1026R either, but I try not to use channel locks. pliers or pipe wrenches unless it is a last resort. I just hate putting scratches on metal surfaces that I care about. And sometimes I worry about crushing a lock nut or something thin.

I have had good success with rubber strap wrenches. I bought mine from Sears, but you can get them at many other places. Though I haven't tried it, they should work. They work really well on the plastic oil filter cap on my Jetta TDI.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Corndog Hater
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you on the marring of the surfaces and thought about it as soon as I grabbed the channel locks. The scratches on the surface don't bother me as much as the "teeth marks". But the channels only left some minor scratches. I also quickly saw the writing on the wall and knew they weren't big enough for the task, so I stopped. I also don't have any strap wrenches, but have eyed them up many time,so maybe it's time to add them to my tools too. It's nice to have different options when working on these smaller engines, as sometimes the angle or space is tight or awkward. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
On the 2305 I used channel locks, just put rag around filter to control marring, ring should not be that tight, but needs some help to loosen

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Check to see if you have an oil filter strap type wrench that will fit...I lucked out and had one. I did have to put some rubber sheeting I use for (refrigeration line penetrations through roof metal) in it. An adjustable strap wrench is the best though. I need to get one as I could use one periodically.... changing out big water filter cartridges some use on ice machines.

·
Corndog Hater
11,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, as always! I bought a bigger set of channel locks and a set of strap wrenches, ya know...just in case! I ended up using the channel locks with a rag wrapped around the collar. They just seemed more "stable". So now we have fresh oil and filter, 2 fresh fuel filters, and fresh inner/outer air filters, and greased all fittings. Good to go for a few more hours!

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Every new "job" requires at least one new tool, kudos to you for getting more! :good2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts