Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What category is the hitch on a 5045E? All of the implements that I have been using for 25+ years with my JD420 have attachment pins that are a bit too small for the 5045E. I would say the pins are ~ ¾ of an inch and the holes on the 3 point hitch are about 1 inch. What is the best method for dealing with this issue. I have considered getting the l - match quick connect but that seems dependent upon category as well. I found this in a manual and it looks like a feasible solution but I will need to know what category I am trying to convert too.
OMSJ301048
Any thoughts?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
Page 9, "allows hookup to CAT I OR CAT II" not sure what that really means but would guess CAT II.
John Deere

·
Premium Member
10,207 Posts
Your tractor uses a Cat II three point hitch, and it sounds like your implements are Cat I.

You can get bushings to fit your current implements, they just slide over the hitch pins and you attach the three point hitch as normal. You could go with an iMatch, but if you buy a Cat II iMatch it will require you modify your cat I implements as the pins for cat II are a few inches further apart than cat I. You could buy a cat I iMatch, and use bushings between the three point arms and the quick hitch, then use the appropriate bushings to make your implements for the quick hitch.

You can also buy cat II lower hitch pins that will replace your cat I implement pins, and drill the top link hole bigger to fit a cat II top link pin.

I'll just caution you, be gentle using cat I implements on a bigger tractor. I've done some damage to cat I implements with a cat II tractor when I encountered some buried rocks. The bigger tractor will have the weight and power to damage the implement instead of being stopped like a smaller tractor would. :)

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
752 Posts
Lots of options, but what you have is a cat 2 tractor, you really should be using cat 2 implements. If you wanted to stay with your current cat 1 implements, probably should have bought a cat 1 tractor. As 56FordGuy said, you have to be careful using cat 1 implements behind a cat 2 tractor. They typically just are not built to take the stresses that a cat 2 tractor can put on them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You should have "Onesy-twosie" balls on the lift arms already, if not, talk to the parts guy at the dealer.

The ball is set up for Cat 1 on one side, and Cat 2 on the other. Just rotate the ball 90 degrees.
I know they are still available, or should be, as our 5425 has them, and every 5 series around here has them.

They come in handy for using the lighter impliments that aren't ground engaging, like spray rigs, generators and that sort of thing.

For ground engaging stuff that rips ground or turns it, stick with Cat 2 and change the pins over if needed.
Snapping pins can lead to bent iron and expensive repairs.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
You should have "Onesy-twosie" balls on the lift arms already, if not, talk to the parts guy at the dealer.

The ball is set up for Cat 1 on one side, and Cat 2 on the other. Just rotate the ball 90 degrees.
I know they are still available, or should be, as our 5425 has them, and every 5 series around here has them.

They come in handy for using the lighter impliments that aren't ground engaging, like spray rigs, generators and that sort of thing.

For ground engaging stuff that rips ground or turns it, stick with Cat 2 and change the pins over if needed.
Snapping pins can lead to bent iron and expensive repairs.
Something like these? Who knew!

Brass Fashion accessory Metal Big hole bead Jewellery

Reactions: Dingeryote

·
Premium Member
10,091 Posts
Your tractor uses a Cat II three point hitch, and it sounds like your implements are Cat I.

You can get bushings to fit your current implements, they just slide over the hitch pins and you attach the three point hitch as normal. You could go with an iMatch, but if you buy a Cat II iMatch it will require you modify your cat I implements as the pins for cat II are a few inches further apart than cat I. You could buy a cat I iMatch, and use bushings between the three point arms and the quick hitch, then use the appropriate bushings to make your implements for the quick hitch.

You can also buy cat II lower hitch pins that will replace your cat I implement pins, and drill the top link hole bigger to fit a cat II top link pin.

I'll just caution you, be gentle using cat I implements on a bigger tractor. I've done some damage to cat I implements with a cat II tractor when I encountered some buried rocks. The bigger tractor will have the weight and power to damage the implement instead of being stopped like a smaller tractor would. :)
The only thing I disagree with is drilling the top link hole of your implements. That would make them hard to sell in the future. Rather than drilling them, use a CAT I pin with a CAT I to CAT II top link bushing.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The only thing I disagree with is drilling the top link hole of your implements. That would make them hard to sell in the future. Rather than drilling them, use a CAT I pin with a CAT I to CAT II top link bushing.
:good2:

I just leave the top pins in the impliments. One for each, and a top link 2-1 bushing left on.

It never fails that if I don't, I have to spend 20 min. hunting down a bushing.
Keeping spares in the tractor box, just means I gotta keep buying the things as they escape.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My plan is to buy the 2 - 1 bushings and then put on a quick attach that we have that is not in use kind of like the I match. Then I will not need to deal with the bushings each time I change out implements. The extra weight on the back would be good as a ballast for the loader.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So was it decided that the 5045 does or doesn't have the ball that can be either cat 1 or cat 2? I am interested as I just ordered a new one. Thanks

·
Registered
770 Posts
So was it decided that the 5045 does or doesn't have the ball that can be either cat 1 or cat 2? I am interested as I just ordered a new one. Thanks
Congrats on the new 5045!!

Call your dealer Monday morning, and tell the shiney shoes dude that sold you the tractor, that you expect to find the 1-2 Ball on the lift arms when it's delivered.

It will take the shop 10 Min., and should be tossed in along with the hat, Thermos, and multiple Key fobs.
They really should ask...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on the new 5045!!

Call your dealer Monday morning, and tell the shiney shoes dude that sold you the tractor, that you expect to find the 1-2 Ball on the lift arms when it's delivered.

It will take the shop 10 Min., and should be tossed in along with the hat, Thermos, and multiple Key fobs.
They really should ask...
Well, I am not sure he would know whether or not it is a changeable one or not. I am sure it can be changed but just wondered if they actually already come that way or not. I know all of them I have seen around have the work light on them but in looking at a thread somewhere on here, it looks like they may have changed that along the way so that the work light doesn't come on them. He never mentioned the hat, theromos or key fobs either!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 2009 model 5045E does not have the cat 1-2 ball as original equipment. I did what I said I would do as far as making the spacers to get the quick attach for the 3 point hitch to fit but it seems like making the connectors on the quick attach to meet up with my implements is going to take a lot of effort as well so I might just take it off and throw it in with the scrap metal. I am starting to think I bought the wrong tractor. Nothing that I already own fits it and no local dealers carry attachments to fit the 553 global loader. I have the most common brand of tractor ever sold but nothing fits it. Just my luck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The more I read

My 2009 model 5045E does not have the cat 1-2 ball as original equipment. I did what I said I would do as far as making the spacers to get the quick attach for the 3 point hitch to fit but it seems like making the connectors on the quick attach to meet up with my implements is going to take a lot of effort as well so I might just take it off and throw it in with the scrap metal. I am starting to think I bought the wrong tractor. Nothing that I already own fits it and no local dealers carry attachments to fit the 553 global loader. I have the most common brand of tractor ever sold but nothing fits it. Just my luck.
The more I read from you and others makes me wonder if I bought the right one as well. Maybe I should have gone with an orange one. Guess time will tell. Dealer called me today to tell me my new one was in but the loader wasn't yet. Said the loader was coming from Mexico and he really didn't know when it might get here for sure.

I wonder if a Pat's Easy Hitch would work easier for you and your equipment. I haven't made up my mind yet whether to go with the Easy Hitch type or Pat's yet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What category is the hitch on a 5045E? All of the implements that I have been using for 25+ years with my JD420 have attachment pins that are a bit too small for the 5045E. I would say the pins are ~ ¾ of an inch and the holes on the 3 point hitch are about 1 inch. What is the best method for dealing with this issue. I have considered getting the l - match quick connect but that seems dependent upon category as well. I found this in a manual and it looks like a feasible solution but I will need to know what category I am trying to convert too.
OMSJ301048
Any thoughts?
I suppose the best method to deal with this if you only have category 1 stuff is to change the balls if they are changeable. One of mine the balls are removable once a split pin or cotter pin is undone and a pin is pulled. You could get the cat 1 draft link balls 7/8 inch bore or perhaps the kind with two holes. The top link could be bushed, a different threaded portion with 3/4 inch bore ball there might be possible. Even a cat 1 top link can be used with pieces of bushing on either side in the tractor.

I would say something like a 5045 is pretty close to category 1 as stuff that comes cat 2 most likely can weigh twice as much.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMSJ301048_19/?tM= Here is the page on the link in post 1 as to what are you intending to convert to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.