Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the situation - I have a set of winter wheels and tires for my pickup. I need to change the TPMS sensors to a newer version. The wheels are Ford factory stock aluminum wheels from around 2006.

I can buy OEM takeoff sensors with stems for around $60 a set - new from the dealer are around $200. To get a shop to change them out would be around $20-$25 each. I would like to do this myself.

I would have to break the bead only near the valve stems. Break the bead and hold it down while changing out the stems/sensors, then hopefully just air them back up and be good to go.

I was thinking of buying this to break the bead - Harbor Freight Manual Tire Changer for $32 (after 20% coupon).

https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

My idea would be to just break the bead next to the valve stem, have Mrs. C hold the bead down while I change them, then simply air them back up. A question that comes to mind is the balancing weights - I am hoping that I don’t have to remove any weights so I don’t have to get them rebalanced.

Think this will work? Is there something that I am not considering?

If I can do this myself as explained it will cost me roughly $100 including the tire tool vs around $300 for dealer sensors and installation.

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
I don't have more pictures, but I have used the forks on my tractor to bread a few beads-here is the one pic I have when I added a TPMS and metal stems to my motorcycle rims. Sometimes it takes a bit extra persuasion by jumping on them but it's always worked for me.

Do you have enough air compressor to reseat the beads?

IMG_6365.jpg

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have more pictures, but I have used the forks on my tractor to bread a few beads-here is the one pic I have when I added a TPMS and metal stems to my motorcycle rims. Sometimes it takes a bit extra persuasion by jumping on them but it's always worked for me.

Do you have enough air compressor to reseat the beads?
Now that you mention it, probably not. I only have a California Air Tools 5.5 gal 1hp - 3.1 cfm @ 40# - 2.2 cfm @ 90#

Never thought of that aspect - that’s why I am glad I asked!

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
Stan,
Is there a local service station that might fill/reseat them for you after you replace the sensors?

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Stan,
Is there a local service station that might fill/reseat them for you after you replace the sensors?
The guy who put the original sensors in for me - he had an evening business in his garage but since quit doing it. I’m sure he still has all his equipment - I can ask him to do it for me.

Thanks Kenny!

Edit to add - I think I will try your fork idea - I have plenty of time to get this done. If I can get them to break with the forks that would be great!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
do you have a woodsplitter?? :dunno:

The tire in the pic was rusted to the wheel, I broke the bead while the tube was still partially inflated,,,
the woodsplitter will break ANY bead,,,

·
Registered
715 Posts
Do you have a full size spare that you carry? Mandatory TPMS sensors are a regulatory nag to get you to keep your tires properly inflated. The only time IMO they are really necessary is when you have a car equipped with run flats and no spare. If the answer is yes, I would just postpone doing anything until my next set of tires because....

...unless the new sensor is identical in weight and weight distribution to the old, you'll still need to rebalance the wheels. The further way from the hub, the more effect a tiny weight has on balance. The weights on the 17" wheels of my 328Xi are only a couple of grams each.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Here’s the situation - I have a set of winter wheels and tires for my pickup. I need to change the TPMS sensors to a newer version. The wheels are Ford factory stock aluminum wheels from around 2006.

I can buy OEM takeoff sensors with stems for around $60 a set - new from the dealer are around $200. To get a shop to change them out would be around $20-$25 each. I would like to do this myself.

I would have to break the bead only near the valve stems. Break the bead and hold it down while changing out the stems/sensors, then hopefully just air them back up and be good to go.

I was thinking of buying this to break the bead - Harbor Freight Manual Tire Changer for $32 (after 20% coupon).

https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

My idea would be to just break the bead next to the valve stem, have Mrs. C hold the bead down while I change them, then simply air them back up. A question that comes to mind is the balancing weights - I am hoping that I don’t have to remove any weights so I don’t have to get them rebalanced.

Think this will work? Is there something that I am not considering?

If I can do this myself as explained it will cost me roughly $100 including the tire tool vs around $300 for dealer sensors and installation.
Stan,

Here are a couple of suggestions:

https://beadbuster.com/product-category/beadbreakers/

https://beadbuster.com/product/beadbuster-xb-450/

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Check out BeadBuster. They have a slick little tool for breaking the bead on pretty much any type of tire. I've seen videos of them used on farm tractor tires with ease. That tool would probably work pretty slick for you to break the bead just near the valve stem so you could get access. I watch a YT channel called Guy in WY and they have a 10% off discount going right now. That's the code: "GUYINWY".

https://beadbuster.com/

Rob

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out BeadBuster. They have a slick little tool for breaking the bead on pretty much any type of tire. I've seen videos of them used on farm tractor tires with ease. That tool would probably work pretty slick for you to break the bead just near the valve stem so you could get access. I watch a YT channel called Guy in WY and they have a 10% off discount going right now. That's the code: "GUYINWY".

https://beadbuster.com/

Rob
I looked at these as I remember them being a supporting vendor here - no more I guess....

The cost of that tool is $100 - same as it would cost me to have it done. I don’t foresee ever needing to do this again. When I buy new tires the mounting and balancing is usually included with the price of the tires.

Do you have a full size spare that you carry? Mandatory TPMS sensors are a regulatory nag to get you to keep your tires properly inflated. The only time IMO they are really necessary is when you have a car equipped with run flats and no spare. If the answer is yes, I would just postpone doing anything until my next set of tires because....

...unless the new sensor is identical in weight and weight distribution to the old, you'll still need to rebalance the wheels. The further way from the hub, the more effect a tiny weight has on balance. The weights on the 17" wheels of my 328Xi are only a couple of grams each.

Al
Good point about the balance and weight of the sensors. The new sensors are quite different in size and shape. Never thought of needing rebalancing because of this but I am sure it would be just. I can’t stand any wobbles or rattles....

I do have a full size spare but don’t know if I can handle the nagging light and bell for 5-6 months for the next 3-4 winters.

——————

I think I may call my guy at the dealership. I bought the tires there and also bought the truck there. He’s always been more than fair with me (service writer) - maybe he will help me out and just charge me for the sensors.

Truth be known I’ve been having them swap my summer/winter wheels/tires out for me anyway since I can’t handle the big tires myself anymore.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I ordered replacements for my car as I'm going to be installing new tires. The best price I found for OEM units was at:

https://www.tpmsdirect.com/Default.asp

At this point, I can't recommend them, as I placed the order on 07/02/18 and they still haven't shipped! Good thing this wasn't urgent.

I wouldn't bother with a used unit, as you don't know how much life is left in the battery. My bride had an '08 Pacifica and when we replaced the first set of tires, we didn't replace the TPMS sensors. We did before that set wore out! Now, my car is a '07 Magnum SRT8 and it still has the original TPMS sensors with no issues. Go figure.

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered replacements for my car as I'm going to be installing new tires. The best price I found for OEM units was at:

https://www.tpmsdirect.com/Default.asp

At this point, I can't recommend them, as I placed the order on 07/02/18 and they still haven't shipped! Good thing this wasn't urgent.

I wouldn't bother with a used unit, as you don't know how much life is left in the battery. My bride had an '08 Pacifica and when we replaced the first set of tires, we didn't replace the TPMS sensors. We did before that set wore out! Now, my car is a '07 Magnum SRT8 and it still has the original TPMS sensors with no issues. Go figure.
Thanks for that. I took a look at your link - they don’t show anything for Ford F-150 2015-2018. Strange as there must be almost a million or so out there....

The last time I bought sensors 10 years ago I got a new OEM take-off set from a reputable outfit on eBay - worked out very well. So those sensors are 10 years old now anyway. I read that the life (battery?) is usually good for 7-8 years and that is it anyway.

——————

I’ve decided to try Kenny’s idea with the forks sometime soon - a trial of sorts to see if I can break one of the beads. If so I will order a set of sensors and change them out myself. I will try to reset the beads myself then - if I can’t I’ll take them to my guy (ex coworker) to get that done. Then I will see how the balance feels - if need be I’ll get them balanced.

One small step at a time - my norm for doing things.

I appreciate all the input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts