Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It now seems every year about this time I raise Charlie horses. I raised one last night in my calf and thought I would have a cow or simply die. :lol:
Babycakes and I worked out side (all day) yesterday for the first time this Spring, had a GREAT day. Anyone have any prevention ideas?
I know how you NUTS think so not working out side is not an option here.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
That is very likely a combination of not enough water intake, and low Potassium. Easiest way to prevent it is to stay well hydrated with plenty of water, and eat a banana before bed.

There are also Quinine pills available, over the counter, that can help alleviate it, if the "natural way" doesn't work well enough for you.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, Babycakes just said she HAS been working out side all day for the last month. Some days she just likes to aggravate me.:hide:

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
That is very likely a combination of not enough water intake, and low Potassium. Easiest way to prevent it is to stay well hydrated with plenty of water, and eat a banana before bed.

There are also Quinine pills available, over the counter, that can help alleviate it, if the "natural way" doesn't work well enough for you.
Sound medical advice from fg. And, don't try to tell us that you work so hard, you don't have time to drink water.:laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound medical advice from fg. And, don't try to tell us that you work so hard, you don't have time to drink water.:laugh:
Well I ain't now!:lol:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
From a life long dirt bike enduro/ hare scrambles rider....bananas are good....but the fastest /bestest way is drink pickle juice .
I know pickle juice contains salts, but is there any potassium in it? It's really good for toughening up your hands. Fighter Vinnie Pazienza said he used to soak his face in it training for fights. Said it helped prevent cuts. I like a Gatorade every couple of days to get my minerals, there's really not enough of 'em in "daily dosage" multivitamin tabs.

Come summer, leg/muscle cramps are also a warning for approaching dehydration heatstroke. Seen plenty of cases of that biking/hiking in the desert outback. Folks might carry lots of water, but neglect nutrition and also flush out their electrolytes every night at the local night spots.

·
8,558 Posts
From a life long dirt bike enduro/ hare scrambles rider....bananas are good....but the fastest /bestest way is drink pickle juice .
That can stop the leg cramps, when they occur. I drink an ounce of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar before bed each night, for many health benefits, but have those that say they "just can't do it". Maybe all of those years of drinking cheap booze, with no mixer, has its advantage!! :unknown: I can handle almost anything like that. :drinks:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That can stop the leg cramps, when they occur. I drink an ounce of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar before bed each night, for many health benefits, but have those that say they "just can't do it". Maybe all of those years of drinking cheap booze, with no mixer, has its advantage!! :unknown: I can handle almost anything like that. :drinks:
I did stop drinking apple cider vinegar and water last fall. Maybe that's why rgd's pickle juice works. I sort of like the taste of apple cider vinegar and water but read someplace it played heck with tooth enamel. I also drank a lot of grapefruit juice last summer which is high in potassium. I guess what it boils down to is once I prevent the cramps, I stop doing the prevention. Typical me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hey RDG I was an enduro guy too!

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Marathon runners will drink alka-seltzer after a run. A friend of mine runs the marine marathon every year and swears by it.

·
8,558 Posts
Marathon runners will drink alka-seltzer after a run. A friend of mine runs the marine marathon every year and swears by it.
I think that is to prevent the lactic acid buildup from the heavy use of the muscles.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I always have a huge bottle of organic apple cider in the fridge, I take it at least 4 times a week and use it when I go low and low with the grass fed beef bones in the crock overnight to pull out the nutrients from them. Apple cider vinegar is great for so many things!

·
8,558 Posts
I always have a huge bottle of organic apple cider in the fridge, I take it at least 4 times a week and use it when I go low and low with the grass fed beef bones in the crock overnight to pull out the nutrients from them. Apple cider vinegar is great for so many things!
I buy it 2-3 gallons at a time!! I only keep a pint container in the fridge to get my nightly "hit" out of. I just refill it from the gallon jugs. I use the Organic, unfiltered ACV. It has more health benefits than there is space to talk about in a post!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I buy it 2-3 gallons at a time!! I only keep a pint container in the fridge to get my nightly "hit" out of. I just refill it from the gallon jugs. I use the Organic, unfiltered ACV. It has more health benefits than there is space to talk about in a post!
As in Bragg's, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother? We normally have a bottle of this in the house also.

·
8,558 Posts
As in Bragg's, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother? We normally have a bottle of this in the house also.
Yes, Bragg's is the brand that I use.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well I'm sold on the acv. I'm gonna go get a gallon of it today. Thanks farmgirl!

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
So, does this stuff taste like cider or vinegar?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, does this stuff taste like cider or vinegar?
Yes, apple cider vinegar. I think it's a little smoother.
I use regular apple cider vinegar mixed in water in my water bottle when on the treadle mill, just looks better.:lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts