Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a world of blazing fast Wifi I'm still of the opinion that if a piece electronic's equipment needs to be plugged into power to stay on it should also have a hard wired network connection also. I also work from home and use my internet connection for voice and video conferencing and need a solid connection for that.

So with it being to hot today to do much of anything outside today I decided to stay in the basement and run some cable.

Last week I ordered a 1000ft box of Cat5e from Amazon and 50 bridle rings/hooks. I started by drilling pilot holes in the floor joists then screwing in the bridle hooks then it wasn't much more to pull the cable through them.

After getting 6 runs to my office, 2 for the TV in the basement and one for a wireless AP I started dressing the cable back to my make shift telco room/electrical closet. Ended up pulling about 520ft in total.

After cleaning cable runs I punched down the some keystone jacks in my office and attached the other end to my 48pt patch bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I would have went with Cat 6, rather than Cat 5.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have went with Cat 6, rather than Cat 5.

Dave

Dave, Normally I would agree but the wife and I don't plan on staying in the house for more than 5-7 years.

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
Mike, great job :bigthumb: you need to come to the house and hang my cat5 , mine is laying on the grid work of the suspended ceiling. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you like the USG Pro? I've got a USG and like it. I'm thinking about getting a Pro, so I can turn on IPS.
It has been a solid unit. I only wish the SFP ports could be used on the LAN side, I believe they are working on it. I'm a big Ubiquiti fan-boy. Have 5 AP, and just ordered a 6th tonight. I have the 8 port switch that has SFP and POE. Also have the old Cloud-key and a couple of their video cameras. On the edgemax side I have 2 routers lites and a 24 port 250w POE switch. They make awesome stuff for the price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts