Green Tractor Talk banner

Cheap Ballast on Box Blade

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jdmich 
I have been collecting weights off Craigslist when they came up for cheap or free. I finally got around to setting some up on my box blade. The box blade weighs in at 495 lbs and I added about 370 lbs. Brings it to 865 lbs. It's still under my homemade ballast that weighs 1200 lbs but I did some heavy grapple work with it the other day and it feels stable enough. On top of that I can do some grading work while I'm at it. The other ballast is just dead weight. IT grades a lot better with the extra weight too.

I welded a couple of tabs on the lateral supports to rest the bar on. I also welded tabs on the ends and welded the bar at all 4 locations to keep it steady.

View attachment 823023

View attachment 823024
I like it.

Looks like you're on the right track. If you take it off, does that mean you got derailed? Where did you get your training? Nice engineering ....... I'll stop now ...... I had a loco-motive to do it.

Reactions: DaveDelux
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.