Green Tractor Talk banner

Cheap Ballast on Box Blade

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jdmich 
#1 ·
I have been collecting weights off Craigslist when they came up for cheap or free. I finally got around to setting some up on my box blade. The box blade weighs in at 495 lbs and I added about 370 lbs. Brings it to 865 lbs. It's still under my homemade ballast that weighs 1200 lbs but I did some heavy grapple work with it the other day and it feels stable enough. On top of that I can do some grading work while I'm at it. The other ballast is just dead weight. IT grades a lot better with the extra weight too.

I welded a couple of tabs on the lateral supports to rest the bar on. I also welded tabs on the ends and welded the bar at all 4 locations to keep it steady.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
I like it.

#4 ·
Find a couple chunks of RR track the width of BB
Tack them on the upper back edge with the welder...add a 2" receiver while your at it and you'll have a nice tool to work with......Werked great for me.

#6 ·
Yepp..I've got a single like that.....Minus the fancy paint.
Receiver is just below the RR track.......great for trailer moving as the BB is the Brake if things get odd.

#8 ·
I was expecting to see some suitcase weights hanging off the BB. But this is a great idea. I would love to have some more weight on our box blade. Seems like it would be a dream come true to have something similar to hydraulic downforce!

#11 ·
You just reminded me I have a couple of 100 lb suitcase weights I could hang on it.

I have $40 in the barbells. I got the pair of suitcase weights for $50.

The set of plastic coated barbells were free. I only used the four 20 lb discs from those.

Reactions: JD4052M and rtgt
#9 ·
Duke
Don't you mean RR rail. A track has two rail. I say this cause my friend work 25 yrs on the RxR and I got corrected every time I said it wrong😂 just like he would say telephone poles and I would correct him and say utility poles and it still goes on with us.😉

Reactions: DaveDelux
#12 ·
What rummage sale did you get the docking cleat for the queen mary?

Reactions: DaveDelux
#13 ·
Leftovers from the previous owner of the property. They are a fairly common site in yards along the coast of new England. Very effective ballast weights

#14 ·
Good idea. Nice cheap ballast 👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.