Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my weight distribution hitch thread I talked about a scale I made out of a bottle jack, I will give a quick explanation of what I did and pictures tomorrow maybe. I took a 2 ton Big Red bottle jack took the lift cylinder apart and drained it. Then drilled a hole in the side of the base where it looks like a plug could go and tapped it for 1/8npt then went to the hydraulic shop and picked up a 1/8 m to 1/4 f straight fitting then put a 1/4m x 1/4f 90 and screwed a gauge into it. To figure out the gauge size you need to know how much you want to weigh and what the id of the cylinder is and do the math. For some reason when I drilled it I can not raise the jack under load but as long as there is no load you can raise it to the height you want then when you put a load on it the jack handle will raise up then it will give you a psi to convert to weight based on the diameter of the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like ingenuity, but I did it the easy way.... Bought this 2000 lb trailer tongue scale from Amazon for $142.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You can use a bathroom scale, a couple of short pieces of 2x4, a couple of short pieces of pipe, and another 4' length of 2x4 to make a very accurate scale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts