Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a 24x30 building for my pickup and tractor. I would want a concrete floor and a 18x8 garage style door with electric opener. Not insulated. The land is not level so I will probably have to haul in dirt. What would be the cheapest options for storage buildings this size?

·
Registered
814 Posts
cheapest option would be what ever construction you would/could do yourself........

...after that its best to get several local contractors in that specialize in different style and get quotes....IE..pole barn type...metal building type....wood stick framed...etc

local building codes are a factor also

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I used the pole barn approach. One benefit is that I could buy the concrete later (in my case, about 6 months later) so that I could delay that cash outlay a bit longer.

I used Pole Barn Kits | DIY Pole Barns They can provide the materials only, or they can also provide a crew to build it. I chose the latter.

The materials for my pole barn shell were $6-7000 not counting the special siding I used (remember, I lived in a snooty city at the time...they didn't look kindly on steel siding/roofing).

Here is the video of the construction. I don't think they will do asphalt roofing anymore. (Likely because they didn't charge me enough for roofing my building).

Anyway, this was a very cost effective approach.

If you have further interest, you can see several steps of the construction in this playlist:

TTWT Pole Barn Construction

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I used the pole barn approach. One benefit is that I could buy the concrete later (in my case, about 6 months later) so that I could delay that cash outlay a bit longer.

I used Pole Barn Kits | DIY Pole Barns They can provide the materials only, or they can also provide a crew to build it. I chose the latter.

The materials for my pole barn shell were $6-7000 not counting the special siding I used (remember, I lived in a snooty city at the time...they didn't look kindly on steel siding/roofing).

Here is the video of the construction. I don't think they will do asphalt roofing anymore. (Likely because they didn't charge me enough for roofing my building).

Anyway, this was a very cost effective approach.

If you have further interest, you can see several steps of the construction in this playlist:

TTWT Pole Barn Construction

I was very surprised Carmel allowed you to build a second building on your property. I was shocked they allowed a pole barn.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I been looking up carport garages

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that I can do some of the work myself if I stick build or do a steel building. But it will take me forever since I work over 70 hours a week. I would have to hire out the dirt and concrete anyway. Plus how long the time frame that I would have if I pull a building permit if I did the work myself? I might take me 2 years to get it done if I did most of the work myself.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I know that I can do some of the work myself if I stick build or do a steel building. But it will take me forever since I work over 70 hours a week. I would have to hire out the dirt and concrete anyway. Plus how long the time frame that I would have if I pull a building permit if I did the work myself? I might take me 2 years to get it done if I did most of the work myself.
You and I are in the same boat. I been trying to stick build a shed for 2 years. I even have a guy that works with me that can help. Only problem is we work 7 days a week.
That’s why I been looking at the carport garages. Pretty cheap. I believe for $3000 I could have a 12x21 or so with a roll up door and a walk in door all installed. I would be doing limestone or something for the floor. That would be for my tractor, mower, etc. then I’d plan on getting or building a huge work shop on concrete later.

·
Registered
581 Posts
A couple years ago I put up a 22x36x12 steel carport from unitedcarports.com. The building itself was right around $8k, plus another $7k for the concrete. The township made me put in a 3' wide, 2' deep stone trench around the building for runoff.

side.jpg

back1.jpg

both_parked.jpg

Once the floor was down 3 guys arrived in a pickup pulling a flatbed trailer with the materials. About 8 hours later I had a carport.

One thing I liked about this was I wanted a building with enough internal height I could load and unload the camper under roof. With a pole barn I would have had to go with 14' side walls. Not a concern for you but just though I'd share.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Something like this. It seems to be along the cheapest route. I just found that link to shoe you what I’m talking about. I have a guy down the road that sells something similar. I haven’t talked to him yet. My buddy stopped in one day for me.

Metal Garages Eagle Carports

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
One thing about car ports is snow load - don’t really know if Nebraska gets a lot of snow or not.

You will not see carports of any kind around here - they are just not designed to carry any snow load.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Probably the first thing you should do is check your local building codes so you know if there are: size restrictions, set back dimensions from property lines, building permit requirements, inspection requirements, etc., etc., etc.

It is always better to know these things prior to starting the build. Do not assume the contractor knows all these things.

Concerning cheapest, a pre-manufactured pole building is going to be the most economical building.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would want a garage door so I can keep stuff locked inside. I live close enough to a big city. People like to rob houses during the day out in the country around here when no one is home.

·
Registered
581 Posts
One thing about car ports is snow load - don’t really know if Nebraska gets a lot of snow or not.

You will not see carports of any kind around here - they are just not designed to carry any snow load.
That's not exactly true. Mine is engineered for a 35lb snow load which involved adding 3 trusses over the "standard" configuration. For a higher snow load they just increase the truss count and decrease the spacing.

It also helps to run the roof panels vertical instead of horizontal. Snow just slides off as soon as the temperature rises a bit.

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
That's not exactly true. Mine is engineered for a 35lb snow load which involved adding 3 trusses over the "standard" configuration. For a higher snow load they just increase the truss count and decrease the spacing.

It also helps to run the roof panels vertical instead of horizontal. Snow just slides off as soon as the temperature rises a bit.
Just as you said - yours is engineered for a snow load.

When someone says carport this is the image I have in my mind -

CB07D740-0F7B-4E11-8632-FD9B2D96DC0B.jpeg

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just as you said - yours is engineered for a snow load.

When someone says carport this is the image I have in my mind -

View attachment 684480
That style too can be engineered for the snow load in your area. But it is something you have to be aware of when ordering the kit.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I build a machine shed type building about every 2 years......i usually just keep my eye on craigslist etc for used building products and accumulate them for a year or two and then build.....i live in a no building code county (on purpose) and i am a retired contractor and engineer with all kinds of equipment so i pretty much do everything myself .....even have a creek on site i can harvest gravel from...i use pole barn construction with steel purlins and 26ga commercial metal ....last one was 3000 sqft and cost less than $1500 ...i had to buy the treated posts and some screws......l.have a 30 x 60 going this year built pad and put in gravel base...going to get poles this week...(these buildings are in the middle of hundreds of acres so no theft issues and no pretty issues) but they protect equipment...i enjoy the process ....,(my gal does progress pictures) this is intresting one of the roof of the 3000fter in progress a couple of years ago

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
So I went through this a couple of years ago. There are three basic types (at least what I researched); garage built (stick built as they say), pole barn style, and then clear span metal building. For the metal buildings there are a variety of styles and costs. Remember cheaper is not always better. Probably the most cost effective is the pole barn style as others have mentioned. You will have to decide on the debate about putting wood into the ground and how long that really lasts in order to decide if that is the way you want to go. I went with a Mueller Building because that is what I did in Texas. For metal buildings, they were the best price for what I wanted. If you are going to order a building make sure you get what you need and not a bunch of extras.

As others have mentioned, researching the building permits is a must. When I built my shop in Texas, there wasn't any permit required which was great. Here in NC you need a permit. It was fairly simple for me as I just took down the plans with the engineer stamp and they took my money and gave me a permit. Other places from what I have read can be pretty particular.

Build as big as you can afford as the space will get used. Good luck with your build. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As others have mentioned, researching the building permits is a must. When I built my shop in Texas, there wasn't any permit required which was great. Here in NC you need a permit. It was fairly simple for me as I just took down the plans with the engineer stamp and they took my money and gave me a permit. Other places from what I have read can be pretty particular.
And be aware that may come down to the county level. I live in NC, too, but the county where my barn is doesn't require permits for agricultural buildings. Unless you have an electrical hookup. So many variables...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts