Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh
Started feeling a little slight bumpy rumble in the front about a month ago.
Thought it was the frozen highway as it came and went.
Then was thinking it needed tires rotated.
Then googled YouTube and saw everyone changing LF wheel bearings, which is where mine felt the vibes.
Sure enough, jacked it up this morning and wheel is rocking.
Hub but appears to be 35mm.
Naturally the size I don't have.
Called my neighbor. He just called back with he has something.
All bolts surprisingly have come loose thanks to Kroil.

Will update results. My local parts guy opens at 9. Hopefully has the assembly in stock.

image.jpg

·
Administrator
20,847 Posts
I hate working in the gravel and dirt.... I hope it goes well for you. :good2:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
View attachment 123769

The brake shield looks bad. Is that from road salt?
Yep. It's shot but still intact. Local parts guy said he would have to order shield so the old one went back on. He had the bearing assembly in stock thankfully.
All bolts came out ok.
Beat on bearing assembly a little, then wound up using two small chisels to work it out.
Never seized everything and bolted it back up.
Torqued hub nut back to 156 lbs and that was a wrap.
See how long these Chinese set ups last I guess. Pretty much all they sell now.
Pretty easy job. Be nice to have a lift instead of working in the driveway.
1025 and Land Cruiser hog the garage.:laugh:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Great post blue. My LF is starting to go also I think. Thanks for the pics

Sent from the mountains

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Years ago I had to do the ones on my wife's S10 Blazer. Local auto parts store has loaner tool program. I had the wife hold the brakes on to loosen and tighten the axle nut. I should have done both sides, 6 months later I had to do the other side.

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Years ago I had to do the ones on my wife's S10 Blazer. Local auto parts store has loaner tool program. I had the wife hold the brakes on to loosen and tighten the axle nut. I should have done both sides, 6 months later I had to do the other side.
My thoughts exactly.
I figured I would just do them both.
So I ordered another one from Amazon. Same price as the local auto parts shop. This one is a Timken, Made in USA.:usa
So I guess we will have a USA vs China showdown in the front wheel bearing endurance marathon.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My thoughts exactly.
So I ordered another one from Amazon. Same price as the local auto parts shop. This one is a Timken, Made in USA.:usa
So I guess we will have a USA vs China showdown in the front wheel bearing endurance marathon.

View attachment 126257
Timkin will win the race, no doubt in my mind.
Been using Timkin exclusively on all my repairs for over 45 years, never had to go back and replace them. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
482 Posts
My thoughts exactly.

View attachment 126257

I put in a Chinese local part store brand bearing with a 1 year warranty. 13 months later I put in a Timken. Never again. Always Timken.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I got two years out of one side and 2.5 out of the other on Chinese crap. Both failed at exactly the same time and almost caused me a major accident.

New ones are something from the other end of the spectrum and have been going a year now without issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts