Green Tractor Talk banner

Check out this old Disc Plow

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Brownie919 
#1 ·
It's a FURD! Just like a MUDSTAIN!

And a LIGHTNING!

Anyway I was cutting on some wood that I needed out the yard today. Loaded it up in the bucket and took it to my parents house and dumped it on their wood pile. I had their scrapeblade on my tractor for a few months now and decided that while I was there I'd take it off ass I wasn't needing it anymore. Low and behold while doing so I see nested around a bunch of junk in the woods by where they keep their plows and accessories there was this old disc plow. This was my grandpa's and last I knew I had this thing burried deep in the ground uses his old Furd 2000 where it sat for years. I doubt this has been used in 25+ years.

So at that point what do you think I did? Yeap, I said, "I want to plow some chit, dog on blasted! I got tractor. I got plow. I got land. Let's pop this tractor tilling cherry and turn some dirt."

Check out how green the woods are right now.

You may be asking, "JROC why in the fool did you take off the FEL?" Well because I'm plowing and don't need it. Would you rather drive a Chevy Caprice or a Corvette? Driving this thing without the FEL compared to driving it with the FEL is a night and day difference. In fact one of the reasons I chose the Deere over the equivalent Kumoda and Massey Harris.... errr Ferguson is because of how nimble and agile the 5E was compared to the M60 and 2600H tractors. (That and because Murica!)You throw the Deeres long and heavy FEL on it and that sporty, nimbleness goes right out the window. Driving this thing without the FEL is like driving a tall go-cart and driving it with the FEL is like driving a school bus.

My fun was short lived. One of the discs was so eaten up with rust that it starting breaking pieces off and I don't want a bunch of big pieces of sharp metal on/in the dirt to flatten a tire or something. Here are some pics for fun though. Really my grandpa used to pull this thing with an 8N and a Ford 2000 diesel. This tractor here could of handled at least another disc on it if not two more discs.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've wanted to get a working one of those for fire lanes in the woods. I would think a disc plow would handle roots etc. much better than a moldboard plow but cut deeper than a regular disk. I see them on CL every once in a while but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

Treefarmer

#5 ·
Funny you say that. I was thinking the exact same thing about this being ideal for cutting fire lanes and fire breaks.

One thing I'll say is I think why the one disc started breaking up is while being old with a bunch or wear and corrosion where I was plowing there's a bunch of half-rotted pine stumps as it was logged probably 8-10 years ago and I likely hit a small one I didn't see for the disc to chip the way it did.

I see they make new disc plows, but just like with the WuFlu they seem to come from... China.

#7 ·
That is awesome. Thank you for giving it some new life.

#8 ·
I spent a good amount of time on Ford 2000 and 4000 tractors while working my sisters farm back in the 60's. I liked them a lot. They were powerful and never broke, so who could ask for more. Fix the plow and show it when you're done. Have fun.

#10 ·
Now you are really making me want one for woods work!

l've never used one but just the design made me think it would work well in the woods.

Treefarmer

#11 ·
Posting pics FTW! Check out this new 8370R that was at my dealer yesterday. Pretty nice machine.

Where do y'all buy replacement disks for these things from? There's about a 1-1/16 hole in the center of the blade with a 5 hole pattern going around it in what looks to be an 8" hole circle diameter as going from the center of the center hole to the center of one of the outer holes is roughly 4".

Looks to be a 20+" disc.

Are these things whats uses to hold the disc cleaners that some of these plows use?

Also how do you adjust this thing to get it to plow properly? I've read that these are finicky on how the well you have the furrow wheel setup. This thing really wants to pull left and I don't want to to tear my stabilizer bars up trying to pull it. Even with the blades set at the same height.

This little PITA wouldn't hardly let me take pictures. Look at her smiling. She thinks it's funny.

#14 ·
Yeah I've been looking at all our local suppliers I know of and am not quite finding a match. Even Agri Supply (who I usually use for these types of things) doesn't look to have a matching disc. The most promising looking sights are the Ag sites based in China and India. They seem to still be big on using disc plows, but even on their sites I'm not seeing an exact match with the same diameter holes and bolt patterns.

#15 ·
I was talking with someone at Ag Supply, and he got one of his guys on the phone who was apparently an experienced guy in these matter. When I started explaining what I needed the guy who exactly what it was but said they're not going to have anything like it.

The only place he said that he knows of that might have what I need is Yesterday's Tractor.

#16 ·
Here's a link to the parts book on that beast. Looks like it had 26" discs, part number 103144 which is NLA. I tried all the tillage suppliers I deal with but so far no luck. Not sure how the dealers do things there but here we have concave discs with a pilot hole. If you are handy with a plasma cutter buy a couple and get cutting.10-246 parts manual

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.