Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2006 1500 Silverado I had last was in the series that had rust problems with the receiver hitches, so I replaced that one with a class V hitch.

When I traded it for a 2013 1500 Silverado, with "tow package" in April, I never though about there being a problem. Last week a friend of mine with an 07 Silverado told me he had recently sold his goose neck camper (that he pulls with a Ford Super Duty) for a bumper hitch model. In the process, he found out his Siverado only had a 5,000 lb receiver hitch, so I came home & checked mine. Sure enough, even though the pickup is rated as 9,500 lb. towing capacity, only a 5,000 lb hitch! Before that day was over, I had a new class IV Curt hitch ordered from Summit Racing @ $147/free shipping. It came yesterday by way of UPS, I said something to the driver about it & he told me he had the same problem with a Ford "Super Duty"!

Started at 7:30 this morning, dropped the spare, took the factory hitch off (took longer than mounting the new one). HPIM1767.JPG Haven't weighed the factory hitch, but there's no comparison between the two! Working by myself & including a couple breaks, it took me 1-1/2 hours with hand tools to install. HPIM1768.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
Huh. Never really though about it until you posted this. Went out and checked my 2012 Tundra and managed to find a label (that is just about ready to fall of too!) that lists it as a Class IV/V rated for 10,500 lbs. Another week or two and the label would have been gone and I'd have had no way of ever knowing.

Thanks for the post! Always better safe than sorry when it comes to towing. :good2:

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
The F250 Super Duty with standard 9800 lb GVW has a 12,500lb hitch and GCVW of 19,000lbs. Don't know if there is any change with the over 10,000 GVW package.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Must be a Chevy problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I said something to the driver about it & he told me he had the same problem with a Ford "Super Duty"!"

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
My hitch says 10500# weight distribution and 1050# tongue weight or 5000# trailer weight and 500# tongue weight.

So I am good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to work with a fleet of tow vehicles - pickups, suburbans, and the occasional van. Never assume, always check the hitch label and read the owner's manual. I had a number of hair-raising surprises before I started doing this.

Chevrolet in particular can be a bit cagey about towing limits. I had to call the dealership with the VINs to find out exactly what the limits were on a couple of the vehicles.

Tongue weight can be another big "gotcha". If you don't measure it you don't know what it is, and won't know you have a problem until you find yourself upside down in a ditch.

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
Gross weight on my bumper hitch is something like 18,000 lbs. :laugh: Way more than I would ever want on a bumper pull trailer for sure.

Gross on the gooseneck ball is 30k, I think...
That'll work for sure.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
15 Posts
Factory receiver hitches are rarely rated for the actual tow capacity of the vehicle. On another note, I had a truck once that I happened to be crawling under and found of the bolts holding the hitch frame to the truck frame was loose and about to fall off! Make sure you use Loctite or something when putting your new hitch on.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
greenspt110, thanks for the up date, and every time I hook my trailer I get half mad at how bad mine is rusted. that's not a bad price at all for a new hitch, thanks big im-- I will be checking into them for sure--as youn's know I have a 2006 chevy 1500, I already had to change all of my brake lines 2 summers ago, rusted complety up.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
My hitch says 10500# weight distribution and 1050# tongue weight or 5000# trailer weight and 500# tongue weight.

So I am good.

This is what my sticker looks like so I'm good too. And that's on a 2010 model F-150. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
747 Posts
So without a W/D hitch you are limiting to 5000#?

Thats not much.

Reactions: grnspot110

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had the same problem on my old 2001 Dodge 3500 diesel. I hooked a big load up to it and actually saw the hitch flex. When I checked the hitch it was the factory hitch and rated at almost half what the truck was rated for. It got replaced with a SuperHitch.

When I checked my sisters 2001 Dodge 1500 it had the exact same hitch! I was pretty ticked off.

Reactions: Levi

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Gee, now I better check the 2011 Silverado. I've already towed over 4K with it once.

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Gee, now I better check the 2011 Silverado. I've already towed over 4K with it once.
OK, checked the 2011 Silverado 1500. Marked Class V Max 5,000lbs weight carrying, 10,500lbs weight distributing.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts
OK, checked the 2011 Silverado 1500. Marked Class V Max 5,000lbs weight carrying, 10,500lbs weight distributing.
I'd like to know what Kennyd's new truck has. :munch:

Reactions: Levi

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
I'd like to know what Kennyd's new truck has. :munch:
Here you go, this is a Class-5 2.5" receiver, this is the only label I could find on it:
IMG_3329.JPG

1 - 20 of 40 Posts