Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving home from work a few days ago and came upon an accident scene a few miles from home. Lots of emergency vehicles, I had to turn around and take a different route home. Turns out a trailer came loose from a pick-up and ended up causing a fatal accident. I know the guys on here are the safest anywhere, but if you see someone else towing something unsafe please say something to them.

http://thecitizennews.com/archive/main/archive-990416/news/index.html

Runaway trailer costs F’ville woman her life

News
Lights and Sirens
Fayette County

Share this
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - 3:14pm
Submitted by Cal Beverly

Tiphanie Fletcher, 25, of Fayetteville was traveling southbound last Friday on Ga. Highway 92 near Pond Trace when a trailer being towed by a Chevy Silverado traveling northbound came unhooked and crossed over into the southbound lane striking her Ford Explorer on the front left side, according to Fayette County Sheriff Barry Babb.

Her vehicle then left the roadway and down an embankment coming to rest after striking a tree. Ms. Fletcher was transported in serious condition initially to Fayette Piedmont on Sept. 26 and then to Atlanta Medical Center, where she later died as a result of her injuries, Babb said.

“Drugs and alcohol are not suspected of playing a role in the collision. Traffic investigators are still trying to determine all the factors that contributed to the incident,” Babb said.

Login or register to post comments

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
I was driving home from work a few days ago and came upon an accident scene a few miles from home. Lots of emergency vehicles, I had to turn around and take a different route home. Turns out a trailer came loose from a pick-up and ended up causing a fatal accident. I know the guys on here are the safest anywhere, but if you see someone else towing something unsafe please say something to them.

The Fayette Citizen

Runaway trailer costs F’ville woman her life

News
Lights and Sirens
Fayette County

Share this
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - 3:14pm
Submitted by Cal Beverly

Tiphanie Fletcher, 25, of Fayetteville was traveling southbound last Friday on Ga. Highway 92 near Pond Trace when a trailer being towed by a Chevy Silverado traveling northbound came unhooked and crossed over into the southbound lane striking her Ford Explorer on the front left side, according to Fayette County Sheriff Barry Babb.

Her vehicle then left the roadway and down an embankment coming to rest after striking a tree. Ms. Fletcher was transported in serious condition initially to Fayette Piedmont on Sept. 26 and then to Atlanta Medical Center, where she later died as a result of her injuries, Babb said.

“Drugs and alcohol are not suspected of playing a role in the collision. Traffic investigators are still trying to determine all the factors that contributed to the incident,” Babb said.

Login or register to post comments
Always hate to hear the news of loss of life. Don't know this for a fact but sounds like it was because of human error. I know things break , but everytime I connect trailer to vehicle I always try to lift the tongue to make sure it is latched,check the lights,, also where was his safety chains ? After driving a few miles and then at least every 45-60 mins I stop and check the trailer and load , you never know when something will move on the trailer
Shame the family lost a family member , prayers for them .

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I once had a single axle trailer came loose from the pickup in front of me, driver was a half mile down the road before she knew she lost it! It crossed the road, up the bank & flipped, fortunately, no one was meeting us at the time! ~~ Lowell

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
People tend to laugh at me because I'm a little paranoid with this stuff. I check, double check, triple check and then check again. All it takes is one of these to ruin your whole day.

My regards to Ms. Fletcher's family.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
What really irked me was when one of my in-laws hooked up a trailer to their 15 year old Jeep which the trailer hitch was never used before. The dude just trusted that the rusty old hitch was gonna pull the 2000 pound trailer without a second thought. Lo and behold about 2 miles down the road the rusty old hitch flat out fell off, and away goes the nifty new trailer. Lucky nobody was hurt, and the trailer even escaped major damage, but can you say "jacka$$" loud enough for idiots like this to learn some common sense? :bash:

·
Registered
892 Posts
It is a sad world we live in. Here is an example of somebody's infinite wisdom... :

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412643079.752511.jpg

Personally, I believe in overkill. My gooseneck hitch is rated to 36K on my pickup truck. And the hitch on my Jeep has broken 30K recovery straps before.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
My '06 Chevy 1500 had one of the factory round tube hitches that was rusty when I bought it, had a new class 5 hitch before I put on any heavy loads! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I drive by and see the investigators paint markings on the pavement and the tire tracks through the ditch and into the tree it breaks my heart. A lot of misery for many people caused by someone's bad decisions.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
So sad . Life would be great if it wern't for the human factor ! Be safe and our prayers for the family .

·
Registered
892 Posts
No kidding. Stuff you can get back. Lives you can't.

Proper tow points, less than 6 year old tires that are properly inflated, safety chains, and properly secured cargo goes a long way with regards to safety. It may not be your life you're saving as shown above.

Be safe,
Jim

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
When I was young and dumb...I borrowed my companies 12' trailer to move one weekend. It was a home made job with mobile home axles. It didnt have safety chains on it. I went to hook it up and voiced my concern to my boss. He said, it'll be ok,the sheetmetal dept uses it every day. Well, it did do ok with a load on it.But taking the unloaded trailer back to the shop, I didnt make it more than a 1/4 mile before I saw the trailer passing me. Luckily I was only going about 40 mph and on an oil dirt road. It was heading towards a small home though...so I was in panic mode and bumped the trailer as it went by trying to head it off. It ended up hitting the driveway culvert, flipping 360 degrees and came to rest against a juniper tree. There wasnt anyone home and their kids were in school...they had a kids swing in the front yard. If I hadnt bumped the trailer, it probably would have taken that out. Needless to say....I am super cautious with trailers ever since then.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
The closest I have ever come to a mishap with a trailer was when my FIL's 5'x8' covered utility trailer wagged the back end of my S10. Thank god it was on a frame mounted class III and not just a bumper hitch. Now I am way over causes, I will even hook up at least one safety chain to move a trailer around my property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
If only you could see the rolling deathtraps I see EVERY DAY down here in Mexico on the road. It's absolutely terrifying.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
71 Posts
My scariest moment when first learning to tow a trailer came by way of insufficient tongue weight. All was great for 100+ miles until I began traveling down a small grade. The trailer began pushing the truck and started to violently swap from side to side. I manually grabbed a handful of trailer brake using my brake controller to get the situation back under control but not before I was taking all the space in my lane and part of the lane next to me. A rookie mistake for sure, but such an easy one to miscalculate.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My scariest moment when first learning to tow a trailer came by way of insufficient tongue weight. All was great for 100+ miles until I began traveling down a small grade. The trailer began pushing the truck and started to violently swap from side to side. I manually grabbed a handful of trailer brake using my brake controller to get the situation back under control but not before I was taking all the space in my lane and part of the lane next to me. A rookie mistake for sure, but such an easy one to miscalculate.
Same why I learned that lesson. Except I had no trailer brakes and it was getting worse as I tried to slow down. Lucky it started to ease and came back in line as I quickly pulled over and moved the rocks I had loaded in behind the trailer axle.
Have never made that mistake again, and pretty much always think of it when I am loading the trailer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Charges filed in runaway trailer death | The Citizen

Charges filed in runaway trailer death

News
Crime
Fayette County

Share this
Thursday, October 9, 2014 - 10:15am
Submitted by Ben Nelms

A Fayetteville man has been charged with second degree homicide in the death of a Fayetteville woman who died as a result of Sept. 26 collision when her vehicle was struck by a trailer that became unhooked from his approaching vehicle.

Kelsey L. Cartwright, 49, was charged with second degree homicide by vehicle, failure to secure load, unsafe vehicle or equipment, expired or no license plate or decal and defective or no tail light, according to jail records.

Tiphanie Fletcher, 25, of Fayetteville, was traveling southbound on Ga. Highway 92 on Sept. 26 near Pond Trace south of Fayetteville when a trailer being towed by a Chevy Silverado traveling northbound came broke loose and crossed over into the southbound lane. The trailer struck Fletcher’s Ford Explorer on the front left side, said Fayette County Sheriff Barry Babb.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Well that's something you don't see very often. These are usually chalked up to a "freak accident". It looks like they found everything they could to charge him with and I hate to see people sent to prison but... a completely innocent woman died. Someone should be held responsible for that.

Thank you for posting a follow-up Maddog.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts