Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 2640 and i want to check sump pump flow to make sure its supplying enough oil to the main hyd pump up front. Could anyone suggest some simple ways to test pump flow? Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,052 Posts
Flow meters are pretty expensive, while pressure gauges are relatively cheap. I can't give specifics for your machine, but generally you have to hook them inline for the test, so it's not very easy either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are 3 lines running out of bottom right(if standing at rear of tractor) of clutch housing. One is smaller in diameter than the other two. As far as i know the two bigger lines are oil return from cooler, and high pressure "out" line from main pump. The smaller one has a union fitting in it near the engine. As far as i know this line supplies the main pump from sump pump. Would it be a good idea to disconnect this hose at the union fitting and run it into a 5 gal bucket to test flow? If so, how much oil should i expect? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
17,052 Posts
Sorry again but I can't help much with your specific machine, but here is some info: According to tractordata.com, this machine has a 9 GPM pump, so if you disconnect a line as you said you will have a lot of oil coming out very fast-while emptying your reservoir equally as fast. While this a an OK way to test a well or yard hydrant, it is hardly advisable with potentially hot high pressure hydraulic oil.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
According to tractordata.com, this machine has a 9 GPM pump, so if you disconnect a line as you said you will have a lot of oil coming out very fast-while emptying your reservoir equally as fast. While this a an OK way to test a well or yard hydrant, it is hardly advisable with potentially hot high pressure hydraulic oil.

Kenny
No offence intended but hyd pump output on a JD 2640 will be determined by which hyd pump this 2640 has. According to 2640 parts catalog it could have a 1.38 IN.3 OR 2.4 IN.3 pumps which are 9 & 15 GPM.

If I understand correctly JDfarmer was asking about checking sump(trans) pump which IIRC is about 5 GPM. I agree with you that the only accurate way to check GPM is with a flowmeter. Trans pump output can be shade tree mechanic checked by loosening/removing hyd filter cover with a bucket under opening,turn engine over for 15 seconds & bucket should contain around a gallon of oil. Allowing 160 psi vs 2250 psi oil to free flow in a bucket are 2 totally different experiences
Jim

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
There are 3 lines running out of bottom right(if standing at rear of tractor) of clutch housing. One is smaller in diameter than the other two. As far as i know the two bigger lines are oil return from cooler, and high pressure "out" line from main pump. The smaller one has a union fitting in it near the engine. As far as i know this line supplies the main pump from sump pump. Would it be a good idea to disconnect this hose at the union fitting and run it into a 5 gal bucket to test flow? If so, how much oil should i expect? Thanks again.
IIRC those 3 lines you're referring to are very difficult to disconnect short of splitting tractor. I will suggest utilizing loosening hyd filter cover as I previously stated or try getting GPM at the hose you referred.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
I would also go from the transmission filter as TxJim suggested. The trans pump sends oil to the filter, then the front pump.
If you're lucky and have a ported filter cover, you could plumb a hose to container and leave the filter cover on.

Remember the trans only holds about 10 gallons and will be empty very fast.

·
Administrator
17,052 Posts
No offense taken here...I stated twice I had limited knowledge of this model. I’ll bow out now...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The filter cover has hose running out of the bottom to the SCV control valve, so that means i have a ported filter cover, right?

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
The filter cover has hose running out of the bottom to the SCV control valve, so that means i have a ported filter cover, right?
Yes, you have ported cover (bottom right corner of drawing by key 9). That hose is the optional return for the SCV. If it did not have that hose, there would be a short hose from the opposite side of the SCV to the transmission case. There will be a plug (key 2 in the drawing) there and at the transmission case.

Drawing is of the optional SCV return to sump hose

Attachments

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If it did not have that hose, there would be a short hose from the opposite side of the SCV to the transmission case. There will be a plug (key 2 in the drawing) there and at the transmission case.

Zebrafive
I have a slight correction to your statement the normal scv return hose between scv & tractor goes to rockshaft housing not transmission case.:flag_of_truce:
Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If i did my math right, i should get 1.25 gal of fluid in bucket after 15 secs of run time. Correct? Could i disconnect ported filter hose at SCV to perform test?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If i did my math right, i should get 1.25 gal of fluid in bucket after 15 secs of run time. Correct? Could i disconnect ported filter hose at SCV to perform test?
Yes you can disconnect scv return hose at either end of hose to perform your pump test. 1-1/4 gallon in 15 seconds is correct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did the test tonight(didn't get a video though🙁). I disconnected the hose that runs out of ported filter cover and ran it into a bucket for 15 secs. I forgot to ask you guys at what rpm i should do this. I did it at idle which is around 800 rpm. I got 2.5 quarts of oil after doing the test twice. I've heard this question asked many times, but I'll ask it again. When i look in hyd fluid filler hole should i see any movement like a spray or something? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but I would think that the most valid charge pump test would be to determine if a given amount of positive pressure
was measured at the entrance of a predetermined flow of the main pump at a given temperature of a specific hydraulic viscosity fluid?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
When viewing in hyd filler hole behind seat with 3 pt in raised position,engine running at 190-200°F one should see little to no oil movement. It's been many yrs since I was employed at JD dealership but I think trans pump output should be checked at 1750-2000 engine rpm's. 2.5 qts in 15 seconds is about 1/2 of output needed.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
Zebrafive
I have a slight correction to your statement the normal scv return hose between scv & tractor goes to rockshaft housing not transmission case.:flag_of_truce:
Jim
Thanks for the correction. My 2030 came with the return to filter hose. So I did not install the plugs to covert.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts