Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 2038R 2019 X758
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2038R owner with the radial turfs. Never had fkuid filled tires before. Dealer filled them and also over inflated the tires to 33psi when max reccomended is 23. I put the valve stem at the highest position but still had to shoot out around a gallon of blue liquid (assuming washer fluid) before getting air. Even then it always seemed to spray a heavy mist of liquid when bleeding the air with a screwdriver to get to 23psi. I just figured if the liquid level was below the stem it should blow all air. I guess i wanted to see if there was a way to make sure both tires had and equal amount of liquid fill? Hard to tell when they keep spraying and i dont want to keep losing fluid.

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
Leave them at the 12 o’clock position for ten minutes or so

Blow a small amount of air into them to clear the stem

Check pressure

If fluid continues to spray out your tires have too much in them.

I run about 75% in mine

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
uhhh......Use a gage designed for fluid or you will go through a few till you get the right one.

Calcium kills them quick
Sounds like you have a different product.
Beet juice isn't freindly too even the best of the proper gages....its sticky/goooey
Not sure about Rim gard or WW fluid.

Wrecked my best tire filler/gage with Calcium years ago....still works but leaks...a Milton iirc. 👹

·
Registered
2020 2038R 2019 X758
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uhhh......Use a gage designed for fluid or you will go through a few till you get the right one.

Calcium kills them quick
Sounds like you have a different product.
Beet juice isn't freindly too even the best of the proper gages....its sticky/goooey
Not sure about Rim gard or WW fluid.

Wrecked my best tire filler/gage with Calcium years ago....still works but leaks...a Milton iirc. 👹
Well it figured I used my brand new shiney digital guage! I think its ww fluid, dried quickly on the hands and was blue in color.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Leave them at the 12 o’clock position for ten minutes or so

Blow a small amount of air into them to clear the stem

Check pressure

If fluid continues to spray out your tires have too much in them.

I run about 75% in mine
My manual advises to cover the valve stem. Both my rear tires will squirt out fluid even with the valve stem at 12 o'clock.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Well it figured I used my brand new shiney digital guage! I think its ww fluid, dried quickly on the hands and was blue in color.
Yep, sounds like washer fluid. It may not harm your gauge. But when checking fluid filled tires it's best to use a fluid compatible gauge. They are very inexpensive... around $11 on Amazon and TSC.

Milton (S-928 Air/Water-Filled Tire Pencil Pressure Gauge)

·
Super Moderator
6,099 Posts
In addition to using the proper gauge, jack the tractor up to take the weight off the tires. If you don't then as the pressure goes down the weight of the machine will cause the tire to go flat and push the fluid inside the tire up and out the valve.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
In addition to using the proper gauge, jack the tractor up to take the weight off the tires. If you don't then as the pressure goes down the weight of the machine will cause the tire to go flat and push the fluid inside the tire up and out the valve.
Agree. Plus, with the wheel off the ground you can easily rotate the tire by hand to get the valve stem to the 12 o'clock position.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Our tractor came with calcium filled turfs... I would have chosen most any other product, but that is how it is..

I use a liquid compatible gauge from the local auto, farm store.. Was a bit less than $20..
I put a small green zip tie on the barrel to quickly identify it from other gauges...

When finished using, stand the gauge bottom down in a jar of water..
Except over winter....

·
Premium Member
2020 2038R w220R MSL
157 Posts
I had the same experience. The installer over-filled them with Rimguard and I had to figure out how to drain off enough to lower the tire pressure. I ended up using the hose from a tire pressure gauge so it could lock on the valve stem with the valve depressed. Jacked up the tractor, rotated the wheel to the 12 o'clock position and drained the fluid into a bucket. Care is required because the tire pressure is driving the fluid out. (Don't ask how I know this...) When the fluid gets low enough it allows the air out and you can lower the pressure.

I ruined a fancy digital gauge by checking the pressure just one time. The fluid was driven up into the gauge it clogged with beet juice. Never could clean it out. The gauge referenced above works well but I still rinse it with water after a Rimguard check.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have a gauge that will take liquid, but this one from HF is my favorite. The graduations are small; that's its main negative. Just blow it out after checking/adding air to a liquid filled tire. I don't bother where the stem is located.

·
Registered
2020 2038R 2019 X758
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 790584 I have a gauge that will take liquid, but this one from HF is my favorite. The graduations are small; that's its main negative. Just blow it out after checking/adding air to a liquid filled tire. I don't bother where the stem is located.
That is basically what I have, but digital, luckily the WW fluid seems alcohol based, dries quickly with no residue and blew it out. Thanks for all the great tips especially to jack up the tire. Must be a nightmare getting a leak lol. Side note, my deere digital dash shipped from green parts today. Excited to play around with that. Does it ever stop :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
JD 2038R(x2 rear SCV, 3rd function), 220R Ldr, IMatch, RC2048, Pallet Forks, AV20H Grapple
77 Posts
Yep, sounds like washer fluid. It may not harm your gauge. But when checking fluid filled tires it's best to use a fluid compatible gauge. They are very inexpensive... around $11 on Amazon and TSC.

Milton (S-928 Air/Water-Filled Tire Pencil Pressure Gauge)
just bought one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts