Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rookie- just got a 4310. It can be a bit hard to change the gear ranges, and sometimes it takes several attempts to get it to move even though it seems to be in gear. In reading through posts online and in the manual, it seems like I should check the transmission oil. However, I find info on how to change it, but my elementary question is- how do I check it?

·
Administrator
23,165 Posts
Welcome!

There are two ways, one is the sight glass on the rear of the transmission usually above the PTO shaft. The fluid should be about 1/2 way in the glass when the machine is level, the 3PH and FEL is fully lowered, and the engine has been turned of for at least 15 minutes.

As for the shifter, you need to make sure the shaft is lubricated where it enters the transmission case, the shaft is steel, and the case is aluminum-this are has been known to corrode and bind up the shaft, and it can break right there since there is a o-ring groove cut into the shaft. Flood this area with Fluid Film (best IMHO) or PB Blaster, WD40 is a waste. The brake shafts where they enter the rear hubs are also a known problem.

Here is a link to the online manual: OMLVU13193_H2

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fluid Site Glass - 2002 4310 ePowrReverser

Welcome!

There are two ways, one is the sight glass on the rear of the transmission usually above the PTO shaft. The fluid should be about 1/2 way in the glass when the machine is level, the 3PH and FEL is fully lowered, and the engine has been turned of for at least 15 minutes.

As for the shifter, you need to make sure the shaft is lubricated where it enters the transmission case, the shaft is steel, and the case is aluminum-this are has been known to corrode and bind up the shaft, and it can break right there since there is a o-ring groove cut into the shaft. Flood this area with Fluid Film (best IMHO) or PB Blaster, WD40 is a waste. The brake shafts where they enter the rear hubs are also a known problem.

Here is a link to the online manual: OMLVU13193_H2
Here's one for you...I just changed the filters and replaced the hydraulic fluid on my 2002 4310 ePowr Reverser. I have 6.8 gal of fluid in there and it is not registering on the site glass. this is not a case of me not being able to see because the fluid is clear. It is simply not showing up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Let it set still for a few hours or wait until in the morning and check it. It usually takes more than a few minutes for everything to run back to the sump. John Deere does sell a red dye to put in the oil for easier viewing. I don't have time right now, as I am at work but when I get home, I can post the part number for you.

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would let it sit overnight and check in the morning.

Also, not to be a smartazz, but make sure that the drain plug is installed.:dunno:

Reactions: jgayman and raco232

·
Registered
755 Posts
Here is the part number for the red oil dye for hydro oil: John Deere Oil MT3668. John Deere Oil MT3668

·
Administrator
23,165 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.