Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Premium Member
I was surprised by how much of the styling is inspired by the 6th gen Camaro, front end and rear end in particular. I like the cockpit layout, I like that they've finally put a dual clutch transmission vs. a slushbox. I'll at least go look and have a sit in one, maybe test drive if they're offering those.

Registered
Looks like they're getting good re-use from the Camaro platform. I was surprised to hear the base model would come in under 60K.

Registered
Guess they're finally going to do it. I've heard rumors of a rear-engine or mid-engine Corvette for about as long as I can remember but they never materialized till now. I remember back in the 70's when they were going to use a rotary Wankel engine and IIR it was going to be a rear engine. They actually built some prototypes but then they killed the rotary engine so that was that.

I always liked Corvettes and owned several in my younger days but in later years they've squeezed me out of them. They look good and are great performers but they're just too hard to get in and out of for me anymore, same with the Camaro. At this stage of my life I'm much more interested in comfort than performance so I prefer a Silverado pickup with all the bells and whistles. :good2:

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I was surprised by how much of the styling is inspired by the 6th gen Camaro, front end and rear end in particular. I like the cockpit layout, I like that they've finally put a dual clutch transmission vs. a slushbox. I'll at least go look and have a sit in one, maybe test drive if they're offering those.
Yeah I like dual clutch as well but they can be touchy. More so in a performance setting. I drove a Nissan GTR a while back and they all have dual clutch. They feel a bit strange. For instance backing up a hill at slow speed. Heh I drove a GTR slow. :mocking: I guess backing up the driveway was the only thing I did slow in that. The 2.9 sec 0-60 is something to behold. I saw somewhere this new Stingray with the Z51 package would do 0-60 in 3.0. So in the same neighborhood as the GTR. The GTR is AWD though and does an amazing job of putting the power down to the ground. Though it still will spin all four tires as it shifts. The GTR also has back seats but then there is the sticker price at right around $100K.

I was also glad to see they kept it a V8. It will be interesting to see how many people are upset about no manual transmission and the shift to mid engine. There are lots of reasons to do it but I am sure some will object. Maybe the new Z06 will be manual. That said I saw an article the other day about the number of cars in the US that are available in a manual transmission. The list gets shorter every year.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/every-manual-transmission-car-you-can-buy/

Premium Member
Yeah I like dual clutch as well but they can be touchy. More so in a performance setting. I drove a Nissan GTR a while back and they all have dual clutch. They feel a bit strange. For instance backing up a hill at slow speed. Heh I drove a GTR slow. :mocking: I guess backing up the driveway was the only thing I did slow in that. The 2.9 sec 0-60 is something to behold. I saw somewhere this new Stingray with the Z51 package would do 0-60 in 3.0. So in the same neighborhood as the GTR. The GTR is AWD though and does an amazing job of putting the power down to the ground. Though it still will spin all four tires as it shifts. The GTR also has back seats but then there is the sticker price at right around $100K.

I was also glad to see they kept it a V8. It will be interesting to see how many people are upset about no manual transmission and the shift to mid engine. There are lots of reasons to do it but I am sure some will object. Maybe the new Z06 will be manual. That said I saw an article the other day about the number of cars in the US that are available in a manual transmission. The list gets shorter every year.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/every-manual-transmission-car-you-can-buy/
I drive a 6sp manual as a daily driver, about 10 miles of it is stop and go, I'd very much welcome a DCT. I came really close to buying a GTR 2 years ago and just couldn't talk my self into letting go of that much cash for a car, I'm a cheap bastard at heart.

And back seats are over rated, I have them, but wouldn't want to try and fit a full sized adult back there...

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I drive a 6sp manual as a daily driver, about 10 miles of it is stop and go, I'd very much welcome a DCT. I came really close to buying a GTR 2 years ago and just couldn't talk my self into letting go of that much cash for a car, I'm a cheap bastard at heart.

And back seats are over rated, I have them, but wouldn't want to try and fit a full sized adult back there...
Yeah, I am joking about the back seats. Well there are seatbelts and some cushions but they are back there.

Registered
Corvette purists are going to dislike the mid engine, but how could you dislike the looks. This design is a game changer. I owned 3 C6 Corvettes and I welcome the change. Had I not just purchased a Shelby GT350, I would seriously consider one. Can't wait to see one in person. :thumbup1gif:

Registered

I too drive a 6 speed manual.
Never driven a DCT.
Backseats are useless to me, tho I still like the room.
I pulled the rear seats and all the brackets/hardware on my car, '06 BMW 5 series wagon, makes the car much more rooming for the important stuff.
Fishing gear, tools, stuff like that.

I have no use for a new vet, I've matured long ago. In some ways I think its great to see, but in others its gotten sad.
Like I said, I'm an older guy so my tastes have changed and while I used to absolutely love cars now they are just a tool to get me around everyday.

I'm so old I remember when the new models came out every year, and they were different every year, My Dad would take us around to all the car dealers. it was a big deal, free snacks and swag, balloons for the kids. I would load up on all the brouchers and take them home and study them.

Registered

Premium Member
Would someone explain DCT, how it works, pros/cons. Pretend I am an 8th grader :laugh: Thanks :hi:

Registered
Pretty neat rig but i'll never buy one simply because its way to fancy for me. I have no real need for a car of any kind- a pickup is where it is for me.

I did a brake line on a friends mustang. I was surprised how low to the ground it was. Quite an experience going from stepping up into a pickup to stepping downwards into the mustang. :laugh:

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Would someone explain DCT, how it works, pros/cons. Pretend I am an 8th grader :laugh: Thanks :hi:
So, I will speak in general terms. Of course like most things, many companies differ things a little as they feel there may be some advantages here and there.

In general... DTC (Dual Clutch Transmission) is one that is more like a manual transmission than an automatic. It uses a clutch (2 of them) like a traditional manual (just one) and doesn't have a torque converter. Which is why I say it is more like a manual than an automatic.

The clutches normally will be arranged so there is one clutch for odd gear numbers and one for even gear numbers. Sometimes reverse is tied to the even side as well but they differ in how they do that.

The way the transmission typically works is when you are stopped, the odd side is in 1st gear and at the same time the even side is in 2nd. So you have two gears selected at once. As you pull off the odd side releases the clutch and you start to move. As you rev up the computer or manually you tell it to shift. The transmission can shift extremely fast because all it has to do is switch which clutch is active since it had already selected both 1st and 2nd. Then as speeds rise the computer tries to make a decision if you might want to go back to 1st gear or if you are traveling too fast for 1st and it automatically jumps the odd side to 3rd. Once you hit that 2-3 shift point much like the 1-2 it just switches what clutch is active. Same goes in reverse as you slow down.

Pros:

The transmission will shift way faster than a human ever could. Results, faster 0-60 times. You get the ease of driving an automatic with better fuel economy. This is a result of a clutch fully locking up a transmission. A traditional automatic uses a torque converter to allow you to come to a stop without stalling the engine. A transmission with a torque converter doesn't fully lock up and there is loss in efficiency. A simple way of looking at how a torque converter works is imagine two fans pointing at each other. One is plugged into an outlet and the other isn't plugged in. If you turn on the powered fan (engine side) it blows air (transmission fluid in this case) across the other fan (transmission side) and causes it to spin and drive the vehicle. It works but not 100% efficient. These are two reasons DSG is popular in what is two polar opposite cars, economy cars (efficiency) and performance cars (shifts faster than a manual and better 0-60 times).

Cons:

Sometimes the computer can get confused thinking you may want to go up a gear and you trick it and downshift. I would say lower power cars that are geared for fuel economy have a harder time with this than performance cars because an economy car has more overlap in speeds you can drive in a given gear. For instance I had a Jetta TDI. Mine was a 6 speed manual but they had a DSG I test drove. With the torque in the diesel I could shift 1st to 3rd to 6th and back down. So you could confuse the computer where it thinks you are going to next upshift but then downshift manually because you want to engine brake before a stop sign. This doesn't hurt anything but it can result in a big lag while the transmission corrects for an oops, I had the wrong gear selected. Performance cars are normally programmed to do a better job at this and the spacing in your gear ratios are different so you have less problems with this. It doesn't hurt anything just slows things down.

Another drawback is that because of size and weight limitations they make the clutches as small as possible for the HP output. It is very costly and difficult to upgrade the clutch to one that can hold more HP. This is why people that are "tuners" normally would still prefer a manual.

DSG transmissions are very expensive to make in comparison to a traditional manual. There are also a lot more fussy.

If you have ever driven a manual, you will notice how they feel a bit odd. For instance in the example I gave of trying to back up a hill. Much like you would have to do in a manual the transmission has to kind of ride the clutch a bit. This can give a bit more of a jerky feel and strange reving patterns.

Again, this is more general terms in how they work, and some of the pros and cons. As mentioned there are a few variations in manufacturing where some pros and cons shift a bit because they were trying to address them.

Registered
My brother in law stopped by today to show me his GT3 and how a supercar is supposed to be

Sent from my phone that鈥檚 smarter than me

Premium Member

Registered
I got to drive a Lambo Hurican and a Ferrari 458 Italia last year as a fathers day present at something I never knew existed. This was the coolest thing ever! Do it. You'll understand why they are moving the power to the rear
Drive Exotic Supercars on a Real Racetrack | Xtreme Xperience
Sadly, that program took the life of a close friend and a truly great guy just four years ago.......In Orlando in a Lambo. My friend was the head driving instructor for that program and a very talented race car driver. A combination of tragic circumstances resulted in the young kid (guy) losing control and since these exotics don't have real race car safety features, when the kid slid the car passenger side into the end of a guardrail, that was the end of my friend and neighbor.......In fact, his now 6 year old daughter was just here last week visiting.

I have owned a number of sports cars and even exotics. As I have aged, they have largely lost appeal to me. I have had a sports car of one type or another for at least 30 years, but now really don't want to bother with them. Guess I had my mid life crisis early in life........:laugh:

I have mixed feelings about Corvette making these changes. All I know is that mid engine cars tend to be a real bear to work on and provide basic maintenance. Hopefully, the Corvette engineers have made provisions which don't require half the rear of the car be removed before you can perform engine work.

Disney World Speedway crash kills passenger, injures driver | News | nola.com

Premium Member
I have mixed feelings about Corvette making these changes. All I know is that mid engine cars tend to be a real bear to work on and provide basic maintenance. Hopefully, the Corvette engineers have made provisions which don't require half the rear of the car be removed before you can perform engine work.
The dealers are probably looking forward to those $2500 oil changes. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts