Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2006 chevy silverado 4/4 with 89,000 miles on it. a week and half ago, i had it to the local chevy garage to have the tranny oil replaced, along with the filter. Tuesday my youngest son asked if we could take it up north of us to pick up a welder he bought. so off we go-on the way back i thought it wasn't shifting right-from the sound of it.
got home to his place-to unload the welder-and i started looking on the ground, and i see drips of oil. so i asked the boy to look underneath it-as right away i'm thinking-nothing has leaked on it before this all these yrs.

turns out the oil cooler lines was broke-cracked-:dunno:i have no idea-cause we parked it-cause their was only a bit of oil on the dipstick then. i had it hauled back to the same chevy garage that had the pan down--why?-cause they was the last ones to touch it. is my believing:dunno:

so my question to all u fellas--do u think them lines that run alongside of the tranny pan could have been pushed to the side to let the pan down-been cracked -because of that-and then started leaking

or was they rusted or corroded badly enough that with just touching them-caused them to go over the edge then-crack-break?? i talked to the tech that day-i had the oil changed-so if he would of thought they was shot(so to speak) i wished he would of came out and said-hey them lines are bad-they need changed-i would of agreed-and said change em.

wife stopped in at the garage yesterday-after she took her mother back to the home(she lives at the old folks home)-both places in the same town. boy i really want to be up there when it goes on the lift-just to find out for sure. i looked on rock auto yesterday-and if i was even close both lines from there is a bit under $30-:dunno:i don't even know if i was on the right parts for sure.

i just hope nothing in my tranny was hurt by being that low on oil-jeepers-it seems it never ends -even if u take special care of a vehicle .

so give me some feed back--i'm waiting!:laugh::hide: and yes it should of been traded 3 yrs ago-instead i bought my x-475 at the time:munch:

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Thinking the age of the truck, the chemicals Pa and other states use on the winter roads and the metals GM and others are using on our vehicles.

Its possible the mechanic may have moved the line to cause the breakage .:dunno:

When I was working at Advance seen guys and gals come in for brake and hyd lines for vehicles from 2011 and older. For some reason seemed GM, Ford and Dodge were the ones having problem .

Wouldn't think any damage was done by running low on fluid. You wasn't drag racing or pulling stumps out .:lolol:

Later

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I had to replace the tranny cooler lines on my wife's Yukon last year. It was a 2003 and had about 180,000 miles at the time. I noticed tranny fluid on the drive where she parked and we took it to the local tranny shop expecting the worst and were relieved when it was only the lines. Good Luck.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Request they give you any and all bad parts that were replaced.
i always ask fo rmy old parts back-been for many moons--:bigthumb:

Thinking the age of the truck, the chemicals Pa and other states use on the winter roads and the metals GM and others are using on our vehicles.

Its possible the mechanic may have moved the line to cause the breakage .:dunno:

When I was working at Advance seen guys and gals come in for brake and hyd lines for vehicles from 2011 and older. For some reason seemed GM, Ford and Dodge were the ones having problem .

Wouldn't think any damage was done by running low on fluid. You wasn't drag racing or pulling stumps out .:lolol:

Later
ya-i'm afraid that is gonna be their answer too--road salt---:hide: couple summers ago-when the ABS pump went bad because of the chipmunk fiasco of chewing the wires off. anyways-it was at the very same garage-and in order to replace that ABS pump-they had to replace all the brake lines-cause when they tried to remove the first one-it just fell to pieces-but they touched em first:lol: insurance company agreed to pay for the ones that ran to pump--which was all the wheels-so pretty much all of them.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
They were probably corroded and very fragile from road salt. Slight movement could easily cause the leak. Like you, I wouldn't be upset at them needing to be replaced, but I would be mad they didn't tell me and do it when they had it on the lift.

You need to check your brake lines also. I have a 2003 silverado and had the brake lines rust away. I was lucky, i was sitting in the driveway pumping the brake pedal when it burst, the day before i was on the NJ turnpike doing 80 in heavy traffic. It coulda been real bad! I had another one burst when i was driving it and that gets your attention real quick. Luckily it was low speed when it went.

never mind on the brake lines....just saw your post that we were typing at the same time!

·
Registered
433 Posts
GMs from the early 2000s are rust magnets.

I have a 2004 Avalanche and have replaced all the brake lines cause of rust through. All fuel lines and fuel pump due to rust. All the lines for power steering cooler and the power steering cooler replaced due to rust.

Currently I need to crawl under it and check all the grounds for a bad connection most likely due to rust. Going down my road, when I hit some rumble strips the engine started cutting out then died. Wouldn't restart. Got out to eyeball it, got in and slammed door and it started. Ran fine until I hit another bump. Been parked until I get the time to work on it.

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
I agree with the others Jim, nothing out of the ordinary except if the line was bumped by your recent service. Also the corrosion of lines isn't just a GM thing. We had a 2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and the same lines as you corroded through and started leaking. I'm thinking the Explorer was about the same age as your truck with a few less miles when it happened. We also had a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country LXi AWD and the coolant lines to the rear A/C rotted out at only about 4 years old. We replaced them and never had another problem and kept that van until 2013. BTW, despite the negative reviews, that was one of the best vehicles we have owned. We don't put many miles on our vehicles either and I do try to keep them washed during the winter, so exposure to the salt is better than some, I hope. But salt is salt.:banghead::unknown: Good Luck with the repairs.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think it is a combination of rust and coincidence. It is possible that the mechanic nudged or moved them while working, but good lines wouldn't be hurt from that- they move and vibrate naturally. If they were weakened or compromised, it wouldn't take much to create a leak.
I doubt, seriously, that the mechanic did something wrong to cause the leak. Good lines are tougher than that.

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
I think it is a combination of rust and coincidence. It is possible that the mechanic nudged or moved them while working, but good lines wouldn't be hurt from that- they move and vibrate naturally. If they were weakened or compromised, it wouldn't take much to create a leak.
I doubt, seriously, that the mechanic did something wrong to cause the leak. Good lines are tougher than that.
I agree with this 100%.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I've had the brake lines rot at about 80-100k miles. No issues with tranny lines, though. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Easy fix, go buy a Ford :mocking: :good2:
The only issue with the ford is that instead of the lines rotting, the whole tranny would rot instead.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i have a 2006 chevy silverado 4/4 with 89,000 miles on it. a week and half ago, i had it to the local chevy garage to have the tranny oil replaced, along with the filter. Tuesday my youngest son asked if we could take it up north of us to pick up a welder he bought. so off we go-on the way back i thought it wasn't shifting right-from the sound of it.
got home to his place-to unload the welder-and i started looking on the ground, and i see drips of oil. so i asked the boy to look underneath it-as right away i'm thinking-nothing has leaked on it before this all these yrs.

turns out the oil cooler lines was broke-cracked-:dunno:i have no idea-cause we parked it-cause their was only a bit of oil on the dipstick then. i had it hauled back to the same chevy garage that had the pan down--why?-cause they was the last ones to touch it. is my believing:dunno:

so my question to all u fellas--do u think them lines that run alongside of the tranny pan could have been pushed to the side to let the pan down-been cracked -because of that-and then started leaking

or was they rusted or corroded badly enough that with just touching them-caused them to go over the edge then-crack-break?? i talked to the tech that day-i had the oil changed-so if he would of thought they was shot(so to speak) i wished he would of came out and said-hey them lines are bad-they need changed-i would of agreed-and said change em.

wife stopped in at the garage yesterday-after she took her mother back to the home(she lives at the old folks home)-both places in the same town. boy i really want to be up there when it goes on the lift-just to find out for sure. i looked on rock auto yesterday-and if i was even close both lines from there is a bit under $30-:dunno:i don't even know if i was on the right parts for sure.

i just hope nothing in my tranny was hurt by being that low on oil-jeepers-it seems it never ends -even if u take special care of a vehicle .

so give me some feed back--i'm waiting!:laugh::hide: and yes it should of been traded 3 yrs ago-instead i bought my x-475 at the time:munch:
2006 is not old!!!! I sold my 22 year old 1993 F150 2 1/2 years ago, but only because I needed to upgrade to an F250 to pull my gooseneck trailer. The F150 was still like new and I really hated to let it go. It sold for a premium price to a guy that lives only about a mile from me. He bought it on the spot without even driving it. I still have a 2003 Town Car(bought new) that is also like new (126,000 miles) that I do not ever intend to replace, but then I am at the age, that I may not be around long enough to need to.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Easy fix, go buy a Ford
:dunno:nah-i have had ford's most of my life-till the yr of 2000-then i ordered a new chevy silverado. then swapped for a 2005-salesman talked me into that one-because of what specs i wanted. had that one for only one yr. why-cause i wanted my red color back:laugh: sounds crazy but i just love my red paint. that 2005 was plum red-yuck:lol:

so i swapped for a new red one in 2006-one yr to the month.

i think in the back of my head-them steel lines was probably just waiting to go also. no call as of today. i haven't bugged themto get it in--i usually go nowhere--drs., appt. or to visit my aunt and uncle 5 miles away.

i ran a 1998 ford f-150 to work at the coal company all most the 8 yrs i worked there. it developed a short in it-no one could find-if u let it set for a month or so-and not start it. so when i got sick-and after a yr of keeping insurance and licenses on it-we said it should go. my chevy sat at the house in the garage-that's why i have such low miles on it.

so thanks for the feed back to just make my mind at ease a bit. thank u-big jim:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Check your hard brake lines too Big Jim.
Mine blew out while i was out of state. That was not a fun episode while driving and i got lucky.
A buddy of mine was pulling up to inspection station last week and his blew out while moving up in line.:laugh:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts

I've got a similar truck, but with a lot more miles. Maybe I should crawl under it and look at the transmission lines, lol.

My son's Ranger has blown brake lines twice in the past six months. When I took it to the shop for the first one, I asked them to replace any that are doubtful but they only did the one. This time, I think he's asked the shop to just replace them all. That's a 22 year old truck so I guess we can't complain too much.

The lease vehicle I drive for work calls for the brake fluid to be exchanged at 60,000 miles. Up until a few years ago, I never heard of exchanging brake fluid but apparently that's now a maintenance item.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts

Big Jim,
The only way to know for sure is to evaluate the removed parts. (I do this all the time in my business) Inspect the cracked area (use a 10X magnifying glass if you need to) and determine if the crack originates from a corrosion pit and if so you might think about sucking it up and paying for the lines. BUT if there is no corrosion pit at the crack origin, I would push back on the dealer and firmly request they cover it as there is no other reasonable explanation as to why the lines would have cracked without human (tech) assistance during its last maintenance at their facility.

Good Luck

Sincerely

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Check your hard brake lines too Big Jim.
Mine blew out while i was out of state. That was not a fun episode while driving and i got lucky.
A buddy of mine was pulling up to inspection station last week and his blew out while moving up in line.:laugh:
had them ALL REPLACED around 5yrs ago-when the ABS pump had to be replaced because of what wires that crazy chipmunk chewed off. they was rusted badly then-and when they went to change them out-they just fell to pieces-so them all got replaced by this same garage back then-but my car insurance paid for them-that time. bad thing was they laid the hose that works ur gas tank. this hose has a IDK-but when it went bad the first time i couldn't hardly pump any gas into the tank. i bit the bullet on that then-$300--the little garage replaced the part-to 2 weeks later light in dash came on again-took it back same code-so the other mechanic took a look underneath and there he found this hose laid over the frame rail-kinkked some.
i should of taken it back up to the chevy garage as i called them back up-when the light came on the first time-but i thought-do i really want to drive up over the mountain-just to let them check the code--i should have in a minute.:banghead: lesson learned the hard way.
that's kinda why i had it towed back to this shop-because of all this fiasco still stuck in the back of my mind over 5yrs ago.

Big Jim,
The only way to know for sure is to evaluate the removed parts. (I do this all the time in my business) Inspect the cracked area (use a 10X magnifying glass if you need to) and determine if the crack originates from a corrosion pit and if so you might think about sucking it up and paying for the lines. BUT if there is no corrosion pit at the crack origin, I would push back on the dealer and firmly request they cover it as there is no other reasonable explanation as to why the lines would have cracked without human (tech) assistance during its last maintenance at their facility.

Good Luck

Sincerely
Ever since i owned my truck and trailer-i have asked for my old parts back -if -it went into a shop. when i parked it-i had a whole shed full of my old parts. why i kept them-well i guess i just wanted to make sure they got replaced and i wasn't getting ripped off. but i pretty much stayed with it-back then-when it went in.

chevy garage called this am. yelp lines are broke. but tech didn't touch them--just what i expected any tech to say-so after a little bit chawing on the phone-my parts are getting reduced in price-how much-IDK for sure. $300 to replace the 3 lines--all i hope is they put oil in the tranny to just put it on the lift first.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts