Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for all your expert advice. I've been using regular 2-4D for the las couple years at the new house but I can't get control/rid of the clover and chick weed. I've been doing a lot of research on differant chemicals and come to find out 2-4D just isn't powerful enough to kill of either of these 2. I'm looking at either Trimec 899 or crossbow. From what I've read crossbow seems to be the best total war on tough weeds. Either way what are your thoughts? Spraying about 3 acres.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Looking for all your expert advice. I've been using regular 2-4D for the las couple years at the new house but I can't get control/rid of the clover and chick weed. I've been doing a lot of research on differant chemicals and come to find out 2-4D just isn't powerful enough to kill of either of these 2. I'm looking at either Trimec 899 or crossbow. From what I've read crossbow seems to be the best total war on tough weeds. Either way what are your thoughts? Spraying about 3 acres.
I've used Trimec for quite a few years. It is better on clover than straight 2,4-D. Trimec is a mixture of 2,4-D, Banvel, and MCP. Clover is best controlled in the fall.
If you put on 4 pints to the acre of 2,4-D in the fall, it should do a pretty good job on clover, but trimec is better. 2,4-D ester is quite a bit "hotter" than the amine, but watch out for drift damage!
All in all, though I use more straight 2,4-D than anything.

For the chickweed...maybe just get some chickens, they like it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would like to bring this post back to life. Has any body used crossbow and or Trimec? And which one do you feel is a better product for clover, lots of chick weed, and wild onions. Wild onion not so much just about anything will kill those. With one gallon mixed in my 45 gallon tank with a surfactant should be just right for the amount of grass I plan on spraying. Your thoughts on these 2 types good or bad would be very helpful as I plan to spray next Tuesday. Thank you much in advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts