Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this last week when I made this, but just never had time, and sorry, no pic.:hide: This is a recipe my grandfather brought back from the Carolinas in the early 70's and it has been a family favorite ever since. It makes a TON, so invite lots of people over or be ready to eat it as leftovers for a while. It does freeze relatively well too.

1 Whole Roasting Chicken
Water
1 Tbsp. of Salt
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tbsp. of Minced Onion
1 Tsp. of Poultry Seasoning or Italian Seasoning or Sage
3 Packages of Polish Sausage
1 lb of Wild Rice (See below)
1 lb of Yellow Rice (See below)

In a large stockpot, place chicken and fill with enough water to cover the chicken. Add the salt, bay leaves, minced onion and seasonings. Boil until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from the pot and de-bone. Shred the chicken meat and add back into the broth in the stock pot. Cut polish sausage into 1/2" slices and then half those and add to the pot. Bring back to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Then add the rice to the pot. (I buy the Long Grain Wild Rice in the box and buy 3 small boxes, I also add the seasoning packet into the pot, I also buy 3 small bags of the Carolina yellow rice and use that). Stir the mixture a couple times and reduce to a simmer stirring only occasionally. Simmer until the rice has absorbed the liquid. Keep an eye on it so the rice doesn't burn on the bottom of the pot.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
You've been inducted into the GTT cookbook once again CP. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts