Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you "built" a coop from one of the kits? TSC has a couple on sale this week, but they do not get good reviews.

I need something that will house 3-4 chickens, that is movable (preferably by hand/on wheels), that can let me add a turnout area, if it doesn't already have one. During the days, I'd like to eventually let the chickens free roam, but in severe temp extremes, and at night, they'll need to be cooped to keep them safe.

I also prefer not to spend $500+ on a kit, for something that is going to roost and crap in it, especially if I find that predators get into it, no matter how much effort I put into making it safe. Will be an expensive pile of plywood and mesh fence, in that case.

So, any of you have experience with any of the kits? Pros/cons/easy mods? Links?

Been wanting to do this for several years, and might not get it done in time to put chicks in it this Spring, but could get it here, and be ready to assemble it next March and have ready for the April chick delivery.

Thanks, y'all!

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
The "kits" are usually pretty cheaply made. Junk wood stained to look pretty.

For 3 or 4 chickens you can make one out of an large crate (check with a moving company near you!) or an IBC tote. Or, if someone in your area is selling one, a cheap tool shed works fine too.

This is sort of a recurring discussion over at backyardchickens.com

Lots of people post pics so you can always get some ideas by browsing.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
sorry to tell you...

But,

Only sissies build stuff from kits:lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Have any of you "built" a coop from one of the kits? TSC has a couple on sale this week, but they do not get good reviews.

I need something that will house 3-4 chickens, that is movable (preferably by hand/on wheels), that can let me add a turnout area, if it doesn't already have one. During the days, I'd like to eventually let the chickens free roam, but in severe temp extremes, and at night, they'll need to be cooped to keep them safe.

I also prefer not to spend $500+ on a kit, for something that is going to roost and crap in it, especially if I find that predators get into it, no matter how much effort I put into making it safe. Will be an expensive pile of plywood and mesh fence, in that case.

So, any of you have experience with any of the kits? Pros/cons/easy mods? Links?

Been wanting to do this for several years, and might not get it done in time to put chicks in it this Spring, but could get it here, and be ready to assemble it next March and have ready for the April chick delivery.

Thanks, y'all!
FG, You're going to raise chickens with a couple of beagles around the house? I'm sure you have them well trained right?. When I was a kid our family beagle, PeeWee loved chickens (among other things). He got into the habit of bringing chickens home occasionally and my Italian Grandmother figured, well, they were pretty fresh so why not? She'd roast them. The funny thing was he'd appear out of nowhere, proud as heck carrying a five pound bird home with nothing but a broken neck. He'd leave it on the front step and then stand guard until someone did something with it. I can still picture it.

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SGS; I'm more worried about foxes, bobcats, snakes and raccoons than I am my Beagles. But I have owned a Beagle or two thru the years, that I'd have had to keep a close watch on, with chickens around. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
SGS; I'm more worried about foxes, bobcats, snakes and raccoons than I am my Beagles. But I have owned a Beagle or two thru the years, that I'd have had to keep a close watch on, with chickens around. :laugh:
I've lost more chickens to domestic animals than all other critters combined. Animal owners suck when it comes to confining their animals....

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I building a coop now. The plans are in my head, the frame is done. I challenged my self to build it from wood laying around the farm. It's 4x4, should have made it a little smaller so I could make better use of the plywood. I have too much waste at 4x4. I'm thinking I'm going to put it on 1.5 foot posts to keep it off the ground. My neighbor gave me his old run so I'm going to attach the coop to that.

I'm framing up the nesting box area about 2 feet up and make the lower 2 foot with removable wood panels for the summer. The front will have an opening to get into the run and a door on the other side to let them free range while we are out there.

When winter comes I'll seal the bottom with 1.5 foot strips of plywood and move the coop near the barn and make a small run to attach to it.

We were going to get 3 chicks. Somehow we have 6 and right now they are living in my %$^&&* HOUSE.

IMG_20150329_190632038[1].jpg

·
Registered
373 Posts
I tried to recycle...

I building a coop now. The plans are in my head, the frame is done. I challenged my self to build it from wood laying around the farm. It's 4x4, should have made it a little smaller so I could make better use of the plywood. I have too much waste at 4x4. I'm thinking I'm going to put it on 1.5 foot posts to keep it off the ground. My neighbor gave me his old run so I'm going to attach the coop to that.

I'm framing up the nesting box area about 2 feet up and make the lower 2 foot with removable wood panels for the summer. The front will have an opening to get into the run and a door on the other side to let them free range while we are out there.

When winter comes I'll seal the bottom with 1.5 foot strips of plywood and move the coop near the barn and make a small run to attach to it.

We were going to get 3 chicks. Somehow we have 6 and right now they are living in my %$^&&* HOUSE.

View attachment 43369
When my wife decided she wanted chickens, she asked if a chicken coop could be built with lumber we had here and there in the barn and garage. I said "Sure, why not?" The first few pieces of wood were so dried out that they just split when I tried to hammer a nail through, so I built this in the driveway using new materials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKWMqrXkDQ

Then I moved it to the back yard like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQgcY6wQgXo

The project allowed me to buy all kinds of tools (compound sliding miter saw, Paslode nail guns, etc) I otherwise would've never purchased. LOL

She's very happy with her coop. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
I started out by building a simple shed on posts. It's 8'x8' and I built 4 nesting boxes into the back of it.

Coop1.jpg

Then I built a run structure around the coop to keep out the coyotes, raccoons and hawks. That ended up being 16'x28'.

Coop2.jpg

When finished, they have a well protected place to live and play.

Coop3.jpg

For winter, I covered the entire thing with heat-shrink greenhouse wrap. It kept the wind and snow off of them and left them with a good sized area to run around.

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really nice job!!! :good2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
IBC Tote Chicken Coop

Anyone have an idea about how to use a large IBC Tote to create a coop? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
Anyone have an idea about how to use a large IBC Tote to create a coop? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Do you just have a single IBC tote or do you have more than one?

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts