Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what went tonight during snow cleanup. I have a feeling one side of the wire slid out of its holder. Will find out more tomorrow as it is dark and cold. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
Not sure what went tonight during snow cleanup. I have a feeling one side of the wire slid out of its holder. Will find out more tomorrow as it is dark and cold. Any ideas?

At this point it is tough to offer any ideas or suggestions without additional info or photos. I assume you are talking about the 47" snow blower listed in your signature?

·
Administrator
18,306 Posts
The correct spelling is "chute" in case you want to search, I'll correct the title for you.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
The manual shows how to properly wrap the cable. Deere really loves their cable :gizmo:
Get a new piece at a hardware store.

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
The manual shows how to properly wrap the cable. Deere really loves their cable :gizmo:
Get a new piece at a hardware store.
I agree. $31 for a 7-foot piece of 1/8-inch cable seems pricey.

Note that the JD OEM cable is 7x19 strands which is super flexible. A lot of cable sold at hardware store is 7x7 strands. You can get a 100-foot roll of 1/8-inch 7x19 316 stainless cable on Amazon for $27.50.

CRS 1/8 Scientific

Reactions: Roger47 and tj1

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts

It's a good idea to check the tightness of the attachment that keeps the cable tight.. I noticed mine had slipped and the chute didn't rotate equally so I had to adjust the cable.. Save yourself the headache of rerouting the cable and tighten it up every now and then. That's a good reminder to all who have these blowers by the way. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I agree. $31 for a 7-foot piece of 1/8-inch cable seems pricey.

Note that the JD OEM cable is 7x19 strands which is super flexible. A lot of cable sold at hardware store is 7x7 strands. You can get a 100-foot roll of 1/8-inch 7x19 316 stainless cable on Amazon for $27.50.
This is a handy and noteworthy post.. The 7x7 will last about as long as our summers here in the northeast!
In fact I just ordered it from Amazon, this kid is not going to be caught during a snow storm without it. This was the only thing I don't have duplicates of for the blower that could shut me down, and I never thought about the cable breaking!

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The correct spelling is "chute" in case you want to search, I'll correct the title for you.
Hey it was late :hide: but thanks.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey it was late :hide: but thanks.

Still a bit to cold to mess with it, but definately a direction to look. Hoping it is just disconnected and not broken.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the wire is broken. Interesting twist. Mouse had built a nest in there and appeared to be frozen solid. Most likely what broke the wire. Although it seemed to be badly rusted, so that contributed too. Had to pour hot water on it to that it out. Cleaned it up and will purchase a new wire. Sorry no pics.
Bill

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
Well the wire is broken. Interesting twist. Mouse had built a nest in there and appeared to be frozen solid. Most likely what broke the wire. Although it seemed to be badly rusted, so that contributed too. Had to pour hot water on it to that it out. Cleaned it up and will purchase a new wire. Sorry no pics.
Bill
At the end of each season before I store the blower for the summer I remove the plastic cover and clean out any dirt and debris that collects in there. Having a gravel driveway means that I sometimes find little stones that somehow made their way inside the cover. I also take the opportunity to check everything over and give the sheaves a shot of Fluid Film.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At the end of each season before I store the blower for the summer I remove the plastic cover and clean out any dirt and debris that collects in there. Having a gravel driveway means that I sometimes find little stones that somehow made their way inside the cover. I also take the opportunity to check everything over and give the sheaves a shot of Fluid Film.
Ordered the wire.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Bill

Good luck Bill, dang mice!

·
Premium Member
9,157 Posts
Ordered the wire.

Just follow the routing diagram on the blower and all will be well again. It pulls against itself somewhat to make the rotation work, so the routing is very specific. I have watched some struggle with this cable install, the key is to simply follow the diagram and don't over think it.

I keep a spare cable on hand for just in case as the utility of the blower sure changes when you can't direct the snow being thrown........

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just follow the routing diagram on the blower and all will be well again. It pulls against itself somewhat to make the rotation work, so the routing is very specific. I have watched some struggle with this cable install, the key is to simply follow the diagram and don't over think it.

I keep a spare cable on hand for just in case as the utility of the blower sure changes when you can't direct the snow being thrown........
Yep. I did the first setup on the blower after being removed from the shipping box, direct from INDIA. So yep struggled once. This time should be a piece of cake. Ordered 100 feet as suggested above and should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I will have enough for 2 lifetimes, for less than the single galvanized cable JD sells as a replacement. Oh, did I mention it is 316 Stainless to boot? :bigthumbup:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well all fixed. Needed 2 wire clamps too. Probably could have use an extra 8 inches of wire and left it one piece. Really easy and I still have enough for at least 11 more changes. It is nice and smooth now. The both wires go around the same pully in the center, so I may take it apart again and coat the wires and pully where they ride with a good grease. Put metal protector on them, but laying here, I think I should do that too, since the wires rub together, which was where it broke. Only thing you must be careful of is one or the other falling off the center pully when installing. That would be good to check even on new units. Easy to see.
We are supposed to have snow tomorrow to try it out on. Good deal though so far!

Reactions: tj1 and Kennyd

·
Registered
184 Posts
mouse nest

Bill

That happened to me a couple years ago. Amazing how corrosive mouse pee is!

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
Well all fixed. Needed 2 wire clamps too. Probably could have use an extra 8 inches of wire and left it one piece. Really easy and I still have enough for at least 11 more changes. It is nice and smooth now. The both wires go around the same pully in the center, so I may take it apart again and coat the wires and pully where they ride with a good grease. Put metal protector on them, but laying here, I think I should do that too, since the wires rub together, which was where it broke. Only thing you must be careful of is one or the other falling off the center pully when installing. That would be good to check even on new units. Easy to see.
We are supposed to have snow tomorrow to try it out on. Good deal though so far!
:ttiwwp:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts