Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about getting a set but have seen many post about how they can damage your bucket. But I still never seen a pic of a damage bucket caused by the forks. Not saying they don't just never seen a pic...I don't know if these smaller compact tractors have enough lifting power to do much damage.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Been thinking about getting a set but have seen many post about how they can damage your bucket. But I still never seen a pic of a damage bucket caused by the forks. Not saying they don't just never seen a pic...I don't know if these smaller compact tractors have enough lifting power to do much damage.
With such a small clamp on area, over time it will. I've bent our bucket so many times I've lost count.
Once the bucket is bent, even a little bit, the fork tines will not come close to being at the same level way out at the ends.

·
Administrator
18,546 Posts
What tractor do you have?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
This summer I plan to build a set of easy on/off "brush forks" to go on the material bucket of my tractor..
Five foot bucket, will be 7 tines.. Maybe 9 tines after I get it started.. Tines will only be about 18" long..
I'm hoping it will be much more useful than just a bucket, but not big enough to overwhelm the capacity of tractor and loader..

I have an older JD 855 with model 52 loader..
Good luck..

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I tried using a pair of the "clamp on bucket style" forks once. Never again. Was not impressed at all.

As stated - the weight was too far out, and I found that the clamp was difficult to get tight enough where the forks wouldn't shift on me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried using a pair of the "clamp on bucket style" forks once. Never again. Was not impressed at all.

As stated - the weight was too far out, and I found that the clamp was difficult to get tight enough where the forks wouldn't shift on me.
I read that too, also read sometimes when you drop what you're carrying and pull out the forks will pull off. Maybe for me using just a few times a year may be okay. Got a older JD 1020..I really wish that had a FEL
Thanks for all the information.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I read that too, also read sometimes when you drop what you're carrying and pull out the forks will pull off. Maybe for me using just a few times a year may be okay. Got a older JD 1020..I really wish that had a FEL
Thanks for all the information.
That's exactly what happened to me the one time I used them. They were my friend's fathers forks and I figured I'd give them a shot.

If you don't have an FEL - what are you going to attach the tines to?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I had good luck with clamp on forks and my 4410 but can't imagine they would be much good on a smaller tractor. They did leave dimples in the base of the bucket but nothing that I would consider damage.

I had the Paynes' Forks and they were very high quality

Tractor Bucket Forks And Skid Steer Bucket and Debris Forks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's exactly what happened to me the one time I used them. They were my friend's fathers forks and I figured I'd give them a shot.

If you don't have an FEL - what are you going to attach the tines to?
my kubota b2320 does have a FEL

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had clamp on forks on my B2910 and L3940. Never had any damage to the buckets. Only problem I had was they never wanted to stay straight. Also they can do some damage if you drop one on your foot

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I bought a set of budget clamp-on forks by Paynesforks from here:

Budget Clamp on Tractor Bucket Forks Pallet Kubota John Deere by Paynesforks | eBay

$145 plus free shipping, and they included the stabilizer bar to connect them together to keep them straight, what's not to like?

I just needed something light-duty for carrying brush with my 1025r and have been happy with them so far.

IMG_0177.jpg

This was the only option for me since my wonderful John Deere dealer sold me a tractor with an H120 loader but a D120 bucket. :nunu:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Disclaimer: I can only speak from my experience, I'm no expert!!:unknown:

Another big problem is outing forks on the bucket moves the load much further away from the pivot points, reducing weight capacity exponentially.
Absolutely!!

I tried using a pair of the "clamp on bucket style" forks once. Never again. Was not impressed at all. As stated - the weight was too far out, and I found that the clamp was difficult to get tight enough where the forks wouldn't shift on me.
I've used a set of these for since early 2013. Amazon.com: HD Clamp on Pallet Forks 4000lbs capacity Loader Bucket Skidsteer Tractor chain: Industrial & Scientific - No issues . . . Tighten them up good and they stayed. I couldn't beat the price and they absolutely did what I bought them for.

I read that too, also read sometimes when you drop what you're carrying and pull out the forks will pull off. Maybe for me using just a few times a year may be okay. Got a older JD 1020..I really wish that had a FEL Thanks for all the information.
Never had this problem as I tighten them properly.

I had clamp on forks on my B2910 and L3940. Never had any damage to the buckets. Only problem I had was they never wanted to stay straight. Also they can do some damage if you drop one on your foot
If I tighten them T I G H T mine stayed in place. . . . . Damage to your foot, oh yea!!:laugh:

Great for hauling brush.
Hauling brush.jpg

I still have them and do need to sell them. My requirements have changed and the Artillian now meet that need at 5x or so the price.

Just my 2 cents . . . . :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
523 Posts
that why i did not bought a kubota b2320 when i shop for a compact tractor -2010 still had pin on bucket but love the 3 speed hydro .You can buy light duty clamp on forks do not buy heavy duty ones

·
Registered
523 Posts
I bought a set of budget clamp-on forks by Paynesforks from here:

Budget Clamp on Tractor Bucket Forks Pallet Kubota John Deere by Paynesforks | eBay

$145 plus free shipping, and they included the stabilizer bar to connect them together to keep them straight, what's not to like?

I just needed something light-duty for carrying brush with my 1025r and have been happy with them so far.

View attachment 157026

This was the only option for me since my wonderful John Deere dealer sold me a tractor with an H120 loader but a D120 bucket. :nunu:
Have those i never clamp them on my bucket but they fit perfect on top of my loader forks rail I use them vertical / prevent loads falling on my hood very good when i move my temporary fence pannels 6ft x 16ft

·
Registered
523 Posts
I spent part of the day rock hunting. I bought the Titan forks and cruised the woods for flat rocks for a little natural walkway down to the green house. The extra money I spent over the clamp-ons was well worth it. Easy on, easy off. Stronger than my tractor. And a million uses. The clamp ons did not fit the plug'n'play concept of these tractors. My 2 cents.....

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
How did they manage that? I thought the H120 came standard with the JDQA. Sure your dealer didn't sell you a D120 loader with H120 stickers?
LOL, I hope my dealer doesn't see your comment, may give them a new idea! :laugh:

No, it's definitely an H120, and it should have come standard with the JDQA bucket. I posted about this once before and someone here pointed out that on the JD Build and Price, when you select the H120 loader it includes the JDQA bucket as standard, BUT there is an option to change it to the pin-on bucket for a credit of - ready for this? - $45!

So apparently my dealer couldn't pass up a windfall like that. :lolol:

Why would anyone want a quick-attach loader without a quick-attach bucket?

In the first place, I don't understand why JD even allows this. And in the second place, I really don't understand why anyone would do it for a $45 credit, when it will take hundreds of dollars to go the other way later.

Yeah, I already knew about this and it could be a good option for some people, and fuelhog2000 should be commended for the great write-up. But I'm not spending any more money on this tractor because of my dealer's screwing me over (this was not the only incident).

I have a bigger tractor (non-green) and have 2 sets of forks for it, and it's better for anything heavy duty anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts