Green Tractor Talk banner

Clarksburg, MD Newbie looking for mentor

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  sterling40man 
#1 ·
It's not that I dislike the folks at Gladhill but I'd sure like to learn my way around my 2320.

For instance right now the mower deck does not retract high enough and MMM blades are scalping - I'm not a mechanic and trying to understand what others have done to correct this I just don't comprehend. I'm a see one, do one, teach one kinda person not a read about it, text based learner.

I've got 30 hours on the clock so the 50 hours is right around the corner. I've seen the threads about the 'updated' service too.

So if there is anyone in the neighborhood that would like to share a bit of hands on I could use a Mentor and Green friend

Barry

#2 ·
:wgtt:

We have a few members in your neck of the woods. I used to live in Gaithersburg myself years ago. :good2: If you were closer, I'd lend you a hand.

#6 ·
:hi::gtfam:

Welcome aboard from the top of Maine Barry!

I've got a 2320 with a 62D MMM. I bought it used through a private sale and not by a dealer. I mow at the lowest setting and it works great.............so I guess that means it was set up right by the dealer because the guy I bought it from never took the deck off. He didn't know how. I stopped by the nearest dealer and a sales guy came out...........told me and showed me everything I need to know. That was a huge help. I'm not sure what you mean by Gladhill. Are they a dealer? I think you should drive to your nearest dealer and talk to them about it. They should be able to show you how to set it so you don't scalp your lawn anymore.

#8 ·
Welcome ARB,
I am up in Westminster, I'd be glad to help how I can-but with three kids, two jobs, and one wife time is pretty thin. If you just need help setting up your deck, I am sure we can work something out.

#9 ·
Barry,

:gtfam:

Like you, I learn much better from actually doing than just reading. And, if I have the opportunity to show someone else, I learn it even better because I have an opportunity to better understand an additional point of view and the questions it brings.

HOWEVER

I did my own 50-hour service interval and adjusted the travel range on my 3PH all by my self using only threads on this forum (along with excellent descriptions and pictures). When I set down my box of goodies to do the 50-hour service, I was very apprehensive. But, a few hours later, all was done and I've put another 25 hours on the machine since with absolutely zero problems.

If you end up not finding someone that is able to help in person, put up a very specific thread, add some pictures to show exact question areas and such, and you will definitely get some very good insight into things to adjust. Go find my thread about 3PH geometry and you'll see a VERY lengthy discussion that finally led to a solution for me, and it was driven by a lot of photos, a lot of discussion, a trip to my dealer, me simply refusing to accept "that's just the way it is" :)laugh:), and a scan of a page from the service manual.

#10 ·
images of scalping

Kenny: are u the person selling hooks? Let me know when u might come this way. I sold my truck (and looking for a replacement box truck) other wise I'd bring it to you to play with

I hope these images get posted

scalping - up and back pass
Green Tree Leaf Grass Woody plant

Red Orange Material property Carmine Car

With wheels all the way down - It does not solve scalping
Vehicle Tractor Machine Automotive tire Auto part

lever all the way back
Green Technology Auto part Vehicle Car

Looks OK on gravel
Vehicle Grass Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Plant

The deck only travels up and down about 1.5 inches

If there are threads on the topic - please help to direct me to them

#15 ·
Kenny: are u the person selling hooks? Let me know when u might come this way. I sold my truck (and looking for a replacement box truck) other wise I'd bring it to you to play with
Yes ARB, I make/sell the hooks. I do not get over that way very often. Do you have the manual for the mower? It sure looks like that is NOT setup correctly at all...

There are a few threads on deck setup, I dont think for the 2320 but the basic premise is the same, get one of those gauge tools! Here is a great thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...6r-1023e-1-series-mower-setup-adjustment.html

The wheels are not supposed to carry the weight of the deck, they are "anti-scalping" wheels only. The deck should be suspended from the tractor.

Or, call Gladhill and raise heck if thats the way they delivered it.

#11 · (Edited)
Barry,

This may be a dumb question... From the looks of the photos, you have the gauge wheels set to remain in the locked position (the shafts don't float up and down) of the height you set them at. Is this true? If you were to go out and grab one of the wheels, would you be able to raise it relative to the deck or would it lift that corner of the deck?

Additionally, looking at the photo of your deck, it does not appear to be locked in to the rear part of the mechanical lift correctly. Do you have that engaged properly?

Which deck do you have? Is it the 62D OnRamp deck?

#12 ·
mechanical lift engaged- donno - what is that?

NO question is a dumb one :)

yes the wheels are locked in place
it's 54 drive over

I tried to see what moved when I turn the adjustment knob and I don't see anything moving - engine at idle speed

2320 was dropped off but the guy knew nothing about it.

Very steep learning curve on my very steep property

Can u be more clear on what you are seeing/not seeing ie: mechanical lift

should I try to dismount/remount the MMM?

I've only seen the video and not tried to drop/remount it yet. I have no concrete pad to drop it on. I have a bit of a gravel drive that has a flat spot that I might be able to drop it on.

#13 ·
I marked up your original photo to show where to look and have posted it here:

Vehicle Tractor Machine Automotive tire Auto part

Here's a pic of my deck (62D OnRamp) with that same area highlighted. Notice the difference?

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Vehicle

It's possible that the lift may engage differently or the deck may engage differently. But it certainly is something that stood out for me.

Removing and installing the deck is quite easy with a mechanical lift. Here's how I do it.

- Park the tractor on a level surface. I do this on the lawn, and NOT on hard surfaces, to protect the deck.
- With the 3PH/Deck fully raised, release the four locks that hold the gauge wheels in place.
- Drop the 3PH/Deck so that it rests completely on the ground.
- Pull the lock lever on the back edge of the deck on each side to disengage it from the mechanical lift arms. Once pulled out, give a small twist (counter-clockwise on the right side, clockwise on the left) and release the lever so it rests against the plate on the deck.
- Disengage the PTO shaft and lower it down so that it rests on the deck, pointing directly rearward.
- Disengage the bracket at the front of the machine and rest it straight down on the ground.

Back the machine up very slightly so that the mechanical lift arms clear the deck and then raise the 3PH. Back up over the deck, using 4WD so that the front tires don't slip against the deck and just "push" it.

Installing it is basically the full reverse of this procedure except that I don't use 4WD. I also ensure that I am pushed up fully against the deck and set the park brake before dismounting the machine to re-engage the lock arms at the rear of the deck.

Reactions: sterling40man
#17 ·
When the deck is raised, they should clearly be off of the ground in some manner. I have a very strong suspicion that your deck is a) not connected correctly and b) is not adjusted correctly for the height. What I'm theorizing based on your photo is that the deck is actually not attached to the tractor as tightly as it should be and can "swing" underneath too easily. As a result, there's too much potential for it to drop the edges and scalp - badly.

Yes ARB, I make/sell the hooks. I do not get over that way very often. Do you have the manual for the mower? It sure looks like that is NOT setup correctly at all...

There are a few threads on deck setup, I dont think for the 2320 but the basic premise is the same, get one of those gauge tools! Here is a great thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...6r-1023e-1-series-mower-setup-adjustment.html

The wheels are not supposed to carry the weight of the deck, they are "anti-scalping" wheels only. The deck should be suspended from the tractor.

Or, call Gladhill and raise heck if thats the way they delivered it.
Well, they're supposed to be anyway. :)

I would make a trip to the dealer and look at some other machines with decks underneath. If they are mounted like in my photo, and not in yours, show them the photo of yours and ask them why it is that way. I would necessarily accuse them of some sort of wrong-doing per se, but I would definitely ask why yours looks like that (and how it could have gotten that way in light of the fact you've never removed it since delivery) and how to get it fixed.

#18 ·
Deck is back up

Had a chance to drop and attach deck this afternoon. Seems to solve the major issue. Just seems pretty low to the ground even at the highest setting/ lever back to 10. I'll put a ruler on it soon to see what the numbers are.

Now to prepare for the 50 hour service..... Anybody been there done that that would like to save me a few days and significant hair loss???

#19 ·
Had a chance to drop and attach deck this afternoon. Seems to solve the major issue. Just seems pretty low to the ground even at the highest setting/ lever back to 10. I'll put a ruler on it soon to see what the numbers are.

Now to prepare for the 50 hour service..... Anybody been there done that that would like to save me a few days and significant hair loss???
Deck height should easily clear the wheels from the ground in the full-up position unless you have the wheels all the way down. At that height, it might be tough to get any real clearance. The mechanical lift is adjustable and leveled side-to-side with the different threaded rods underneath. Here is the manual that shows you all about it: OMLVU17638_G9

In a nutshell, you use the front bracket to get the deck fully lifted with the 3PH all the way up then use the two brackets that link the mechanical arms to the 3PH to level it side-to-side. You're going to shorten the threaded rods to the point where it's "tight" when the 3PH is all the way up to get the max deck height. Be mindful of the horizontal connecting rod that links the two mechanical lift arms together - you don't want that being bumped up against the underside of the machine hard enough to bend it.

Reactions: sterling40man
#20 ·
Check out the link below. On the left side of the screen scroll down to "service engine".......then click on "changing engine oil and filter". It'll show you how to change them.

Next.....scroll down to "service transmission" and then click "changing transmission oil and filter". It'll also show you how to do it.

Everthing you need to know about your tractor is in the manual.

OMLVU16740_E9

I'm in no way a mechanic and I did it all myself by reading the manual and getting pointers from this site (3 links below).

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-50-hour-maintainance-questions-comments.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-tractors-mcut/7512-2320-50-hour-service.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...t/4710-2320-50-hour-service-about-happen.html

Also............don't forget to read this thread.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...t/1255-2320-manual-update-very-important.html

Good luck and let us know how you make out. :good2:

#23 ·
Thanks for all the links - reading is not my most favorite past time - 'doing' is

#21 ·
How goes the process of getting the deck issues squared away? I had recently shortened up the max travel height on my 3PH and this had a pretty significant impact on the carrying height for my deck (dropped it about 2"). I started to re-adjust last night and ended up turning each of the rear link arms four full turns in and I only closed about half of the gap. Time to move on to the adjustments on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.