Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the hood open and side panels off on my 3039R to blow out what I could in front of the rad/oil cooler/condensor. My brother came over and said what are these? There are latches for the grille that the lower front of the side panels cover.

With the grille lifted you can clean between the radiator and oil cooler

Where the latch hooks on the grille

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that I know the grille can come off it is handy. One of my brothers has a 3046R and he said it is a pain to change the battery with the intercooler there. I checked the owners manual and there's nothing there about removing the grille.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
The 4 series grill also clips on same as yours. The instructions to remove and install are in the 4 series manual under how to remove and install battery.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
@JDLTG Of course Deere being a big company I should have looked in the battery section when I wanted to remove the grill to clean the radiator.
I’m sure their very experienced technical writers couldn’t imagine there might be another reason to remove the grill other than to change the battery. And they certainly wouldn’t want to include it in the section of how to open the hood or remove the side panels. That would make too much sense. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: alpha&omega

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked in my manual and it doesn't have a step to remove the grill on the replacing the battery page. I bought my tractor in late august of 2018 so maybe the changed the manual after that. I now have 800 hours on it (2months short of 3 years) and need to change the trans oil/filter, I need a drain pan that holds 7 gallons.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Check out post #12 at Cleaning radiator on 4066R. I have had no luck in finding stevepsd's post that I quoted showing how to remove the grille, but it is quite easy. Unplug the headlight harness, remove the side bolts and raise it straight up. It slides in a channel.

Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I changed the transmission oil and needed a large drain pan. It takes 6.8 gallons or about 27 quarts so I bought a 34qt hefty storage container and it worked great. The only thing to watch for is you have to move it slow & steady because the oil is close to the top.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 3039R came with clips that you turned to remove the engine side panels. One of the times it was in for the 3pt hitch bouncing the dealer replaced the side panels under warranty. The new panels were attached to the grill with bolts and it was hard to get the nut on the right side one.

I had these pins/clips from the 4110 I used to have and they are way better than bolts, I just need to carry a pair of needle nosed pliers to pull/replace the clips.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the hood open and side panels off on my 3039R to blow out what I could in front of the rad/oil cooler/condensor. My brother came over and said what are these? There are latches for the grille that the lower front of the side panels cover.

With the grille lifted you can clean between the radiator and oil cooler
View attachment 793297

Where the latch hooks on the grille
View attachment 793298

View attachment 793299
Tried this. I got mine to lift strait up but I couldn't get it to tilt forward like yours.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
For those of you who don’t already own one…check out this company. They have lots of cool gadgets, most of which can be ordered of Amazon (but nowadays they are higher priced for a lot of the items they sell compared to other companies - as if the guy needed more money).

anyways…here goes the link and a photo of one of their air tools.

The other photos are of the excitement I found when I checked out the condition of this “newly used” (drove hard then put away muddy and dusty). I know it’s hard to imagine, but the rear filter was plugged too…but for the life of me I can’t imagine why.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There were weeds in spots in my brothers oats so I mowed them with my 3039R and MX5. The oats were dry and lots of the weeds were dry & full of seeds. I was almost done and saw that the need in the temp gage was creeping up. This is what it looked like when I got back to the barn.

I wiped this gunk off with my hands then removed the side panels and grill like the picture at the top. I used my battery powered blower on the rad/oil clr/ac cond and got some dust. I was surprised that this much gunk wouldn't cause the tractor to over heat.

My tractor will be 3 years old in 4 days and I have 880 hours on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.