Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had a logger come in and cut down about 400 trees in and adjacent to open fields. The next step is to have someone come in and stump the entire area but I expect to be left with a tremendous amount of tree debris. I'm looking for advice on the best implement for raking up the debris. I have a 4052 tractor with a loader bucket and a grapple bucket but I'm thinking a heavy duty landscape rake is my best option. Does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I'd use the grapple. Rake it with it and then grab it up and put it where you want.

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
My guess is that your best bet is going to be to use a landscape rake to pull things together and then a grapple/rock bucket to pick the piles up. Being that you're in VT, unless you happen to be extremely lucky, you're going to have a ton of rock come up when they pull those stumps.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
515 Posts
Have you considered hiring a Dozer man to come in and rake it all up. Burn the piles and use your tractor to tend the fire. I wouldn't want to risk damage to my equipment for something that would probably take him a day to do.

Brett

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I agree.
Hire a dozer with root rake to stump and pile your debris so you can burn it.
He'll be able to grade it somewhat level as well.

That is if you are clearing for farm,pasture or home.

·
Registered
226 Posts
400 trees is a lot! How many acres is that?

x3 on the bulldozer - but get a grapple anyways! :thumbup1gif:

Matt

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cleaning up debris

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am going to bring in someone with a skitter and a dozer to help me clean up the most difficult areas. Also looking to get a landscape rake. Tha along with the grapple bucket should do the trick.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Dozer with a root rake will make quick work of things, if soil compaction and tree health isn't a concern.

Stumps means Roots. Rotting Roots draw all manner of sub soil nastys, and raise hell with plows, cultivators, and Rotovators.

If you can do it, the root rake and Dozer is the way to go, and is usually cheaper than hiring a skid steer by the hour.

You're in Vermont I see. Roots AND rocks getting pushed out saves cussing.:lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaning up debris

Thanks for that advice. I am discussing with someone using a dozer on the areas where the trees were cut down. My biggest issue is how to clean up tons of wood and limb debris that has been drug through about twelve acres of existing pasture. The trees were cut and then skidded to a central processing point near the road where they were stripped of limbs, cut to size, and loaded on trucks. I had hoped that the loggers would stay to the edge of the pasture but no, they dropped debris all over the place. These are pastures I cut with a flail mower so they have to be free of any substantial debris.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts