Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what’s my best route to getting a pond back in order? It’s pretty grown up. On the front side of the pond it’s maybe 2’ deep or so an down the back side it’s about 3’ deep

Is there something I can spray in there to start with that won’t hurt the fish and all? My main thoughts was to throw on hip boots and get in there with a weed eater for the tall grass and find something I can drag across the pond with the tractor.

It’s got 2-3’ of thick mud at the bottom. I’d love to get it cleaned up, redo the bridge with gazebo and stock it back with fish. There are a few bass, perch, and catfish now.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
So what’s my best route to getting a pond back in order? It’s pretty grown up. On the front side of the pond it’s maybe 2’ deep or so an down the back side it’s about 3’ deep

Is there something I can spray in there to start with that won’t hurt the fish and all? My main thoughts was to throw on hip boots and get in there with a weed eater for the tall grass and find something I can drag across the pond with the tractor.

It’s got 2-3’ of thick mud at the bottom. I’d love to get it cleaned up, redo the bridge with gazebo and stock it back with fish. There are a few bass, perch, and catfish now.

You pretty much answered your own question with the weedeater , my grandparents pond was growed up like that and I took my weedeater to what I could get to . Then used my bush hog to get to the bigger stuff that I could get too. And I cut some of the bigger trees so they would fall in the pond so the fish would have places to lay eggs and keep the pond going.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts

so if there's that much mud in it, then there must only be inches of water then:unknown::unknown:might as well get to fishing the fish out someway-transfer em to somewhere else for the time being. and get on that machine of urs and start to cleaning it out. can u start in at the shallow end with ur bucket(loader) and go after it. but be prepared as its a messy job. and ya want dry weather for it too.

i hated cleaning big ponds out at the coal company-yuck. tracks was full everyday of slimy mud from throwing lime in. me as the dozer operator had to corral the mud to one corner where a larger hoe-loaded it out on a tri-axle-or rock truck-depending on where we was at. active job site-or at a job that had been reclaimed. i had that duty one whole summer--yuck-yuck--open station dozer-for the summer. probably around a D-4 size wise. lot of sitting waiting on the truck to come back-etc. if it rained couldn't work then that day. couldn't peel to much good dry dirt off the bottom of pond, etc.

go to u-tube and look up cleaning my pond with my jd 1025r-or 26r--lots and lots of videos of guys doing.:good2::good2::good2::good2:

have fun and good luck to ya:good2:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry forgot to upload the picture.

Nah. On one side of the bridge the water is 1-2’ deep and then you will sink another 1’-2’ or so in mud if not more. And the other side of the bridge is 2-3’ of water and then 1’ or so of mud. That was 2 years or so ago I had to get in there for my wife’s grandpa.
The pond is estimated 30’ wide and 60’ long. And my back hoe only reaches what 6’ lol.
As far as a bush hog. I don’t have one and half the pond is prolly 2’ high sides so I couldn’t get that with a bush hog I don’t think.
I remember G-paw Asked the guy with the parish cleaning the ditches if he would dig the pond out in spare time with the trackhoe. That’s gotta be 10-15 years ago. He was right In the middle of the pond digging it out. That’s why half the pond has the 2’ or so high sides. Anything I can dig out now may go around the front side to build up if that’s possible.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,709 Posts
Go to 0:30 on the video.

I'll bet you could make one of these using PVC.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't have access to the equipment without renting, but given the depth, here's my idea.

Using a Track-Hoe to reach as far out from the edge you can. Figure a way to attach a Box Scraper to the bucket. Or remove the bucket and adapt the Box Scraper. Extend the rippers to full depth (make sure they won't fall out) and extend the boom out over..and into the pond..down into the grass....and rip/pull it out towards and on-too the bank. Then use the FEL to transport to where ever.
As mentioned...the drier the ground the better. You don't want to bury the Hoe.

If you're crafty and have a larger tractor with a FEL, a drag box affair could be joined between that and the Track-Hoe using snatch-blocks and cables. Similar to a logging tower with a skidder as the tie-off or dead-man

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
If you want to go big

I don't have access to the equipment without renting, but given the depth, here's my idea.

Using a Track-Hoe to reach as far out from the edge you can. Figure a way to attach a Box Scraper to the bucket. Or remove the bucket and adapt the Box Scraper. Extend the rippers to full depth (make sure they won't fall out) and extend the boom out over..and into the pond..down into the grass....and rip/pull it out towards and on-too the bank. Then use the FEL to transport to where ever.
As mentioned...the drier the ground the better. You don't want to bury the Hoe.

If you're crafty and have a larger tractor with a FEL, a drag box affair could be joined between that and the Track-Hoe using snatch-blocks and cables. Similar to a logging tower with a skidder as the tie-off or dead-man
It's sorta pricey but if you rent a big track hoe it would reach more than half way across no problem. Some would reach all the way across or more. If it was mine and I could afford it, I'd go that route and dig out the muck as well. Price is an issue- not only the daily/weekly rental but delivery is pretty steep for those machines but they will move a lot of material in a relatively short period of time with a good operator.

One of these days, I've got a pond that I want to dig with one.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to 0:30 on the video.

I'll bet you could make one of these using PVC.

That’s pretty cool.
I love how he’s in the pond getting all wet so then he buys this sweet cotraption so he can put his flip flops on and cut everything from the comfort of .................... back in the water :lolol: if you are in the pond it would seem much easier to control the weed whacker by hand like normal.
Not once is he on a bank or wharf doing it. It seems handy though from the bank to reach out pretty good :bigthumb:

Ideas are running through my head. Now i just need time :banghead:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely can’t afford a track hoe any time soon. Gonna work more on cleaning it first and maybe the muck and go a bit deeper later.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Once cleaned out start using a dye in the water. Lots of folks keep their ponds blue not because it's pretty but to keep the growth under control. At my folks property they have a semi large pond, if they slip on keeping the water colored it's rather amazing to see how quickly things grow up. It's only taken dad twice of pulling everything by hand to learn his lesson on controlling the growth. I will help him do anything at just about any time he asks EXCEPT cleaning the pond out, he's on his own with that mess. I do know there are sprays that can be used but you will end up a bunch of dead matter in the pond that looks worse than it did to begin with. Unless the pond is stocked heavily with fish that I didn't want to lose, I would lean towards draining it, hoping it dries out quickly, then dig/clean it out with a tractor. In the end you will end up with a deeper pond that would help prevent the growth from overtaking it and a better fish habitat.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that’s cool. I like it.
Could prolly put like a plow type thing on the end also and pull some muck out.

Hmmmm. I wonder how much material would run me

·
Old Pa-pa
11,521 Posts
LGM, I see a lot of work in your future there, good luck with it. :good2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts