Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a piece of land on the side of the propery that is probably 300'x10'-20'. Last fall I had it mostly mowed down and looking pretty good, but this spring the weeds/vines did what they do best and grew right back (atleast this time a little thinner). Any suggestions on how to keep them from coming back.

Was thinking after they are cut down I can try tilling them out?

Any better ideas.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I had a boatload of weeds. Sprayed 2-4-D twice now and just keeping it mowed down each weekend. Seems to be doing the trick. Also spread out very lightly some tall fescue seed. When I say very lightly, I used only around 10 lbs/acre.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
You need to keep it mowed. How often it needs to be mowed is up to you. If you till it, vegetation will eventually come back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my local co-op recommended Crossbow, $125 for 2 1/2 gallons but will do 10 acres.

I haven't tried it but am looking around for a sprayer and reviews on it myself

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
You need to keep it mowed. How often it needs to be mowed is up to you. If you till it, vegetation will eventually come back.
:thumbup1gif:Mowing is always a good weed control, more grass means less weeds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumbup1gif:Mowing is always a good weed control, more grass means less weeds.
Just to clarify, the area has no grass, they were flower beds that were not maintained for a couple of years prior to us buying the house. We plan on using the area for more raised garden beds and fruit trees.

Thanks for the help and ideas

·
Registered
892 Posts
Then my answer changes to roundup or something like it. Wait a week and follow up with a tiller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts