Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys
If this is already posted somewhere,sorry,but I couldn't find anything.
Well,I guess three years is good when it comes to battery life for these things. It's Sept. '12 and the battery is labeled Feb. '09.
Went to finish cutting grass this afternoon,turned the key and click. Checked all the connections and they're good. Tried to jump it,no go.
The battery measures roughly 9" long,5-1/4" wide,and 9" high.This is about the largest battery you could fit. CCA is 500.
I looked at the BCI chart,and I don't see one that has all the required numbers.:unknown:

Anyone out there that's changed one have any info they can share?

Greg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
I just go to the the local auto parts store look up our tractor and buy the one is says to. Although we have not purchased one for our 2008 2320 yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Been there & done that. Mowed the lawn. Finished and blew the 2305 down. Click.....Good news is that JD prorated and replaced it for me $ 65 out the door.

Frank

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just go to the the local auto parts store look up our tractor and buy the one is says to. Although we have not purchased one for our 2008 2320 yet.
Problems I've been finding are the hold downs are either missing,in the wrong place,or the CCA is not high enough. I really don't want to get one with less than 500,and I don't want to fudge the mounting.
I think I'll bite the bullet and just get another JD TY26498. With core return it's 106.00. Not bad for OEM. I just hope I get more than 3 years. But then again,if my tractor sits sometimes for a week without being used,should I expect the battery to last any longer than 3 years.

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I usually get 5 years out of vehicle battery but my old Craftsman lawn tractor would only last 3 years. I hope to get 5 years out of the battery in the JD.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
Problems I've been finding are the hold downs are either missing,in the wrong place,or the CCA is not high enough. I really don't want to get one with less than 500,and I don't want to fudge the mounting.
I think I'll bite the bullet and just get another JD TY26498. With core return it's 106.00. Not bad for OEM. I just hope I get more than 3 years. But then again,if my tractor sits sometimes for a week without being used,should I expect the battery to last any longer than 3 years.

Greg
I would say yes. Our tractor sits sometimes for weeks on end. Been that way for 24 years. In 20 years of owning the 650, I changed the battery twice, I traded it three years after the second change out. Our tractors are never in a heated space either. I would not be surprised if the second battery lasts significantly longer, I would also bet the new battery is a better battery.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say yes. Our tractor sits sometimes for weeks on end. Been that way for 24 years. In 20 years of owning the 650, I changed the battery twice, I traded it three years after the second change out. Our tractors are never in a heated space either. I would not be surprised if the second battery lasts significantly longer, I would also bet the new battery is a better battery.
That's what I like,a positive thinker!:thumbup1gif:

Greg

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,710 Posts
I think I had 5 years on my old tractor and I picked up a replacement at Farm and Fleet that fit just like the original. You should not need 500 cca unless you leave it in unheated space in the winter. Otherwise I would say anything over 300 would work fine.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should not need 500 cca unless you leave it in unheated space in the winter. Otherwise I would say anything over 300 would work fine.
Thanks for the info Pcabe.
I was thinking about that,but even though I plug it in,it's in an unheated barn,and I'd rather have that extra CCA.

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.