Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 Laptop with a tiny little 100gb hard drive. I'm out of space (imagine that....) and would like to replace with a larger hard drive. Anybody have the ability to clone my HD onto a larger one, or recommend a service that can do this for me?

Would upgrade to a newer machine, just not in the budget right now...

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 Laptop with a tiny little 100gb hard drive. I'm out of space (imagine that....) and would like to replace with a larger hard drive. Anybody have the ability to clone my HD onto a larger one, or recommend a service that can do this for me?

It's a software thing. You can download software and do it yourself. There are dozens of programs to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,237 Posts

I always used norton ghost, but there are many options out there. I think allot of drives come with a utility to do it. You just put the new drive in the computer along with the old one (setting it up correctly of course), clone it over, then make your new drive the master,and make your old drive the slave.
I'm speaking in IDE terms, not sure what you have.
Edit: I didn't catch that you are speaking of a laptop...You can use a USB adapter to clone over to your new drive. Best Buy sells them for about 30 bucks I think. Maybe it's better to take it somewhere....Best buy can do that to I think.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
Spring for a USB drive and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I kind of agree with Gizmo. Unless your programs are taking up all of the space, I would spend my dime on a nice USB hard drive. This is not as convienent, but it adds another layer of safety and backup to everything.

You can keep your photos and other items you do not access on a daily basis on it and also use it to back other items up. It takes seconds to plug in and use and if your computer were to crap out, you would not lose everything. Also this can be used going forward when you do upgrade.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
I kind of agree with Gizmo. Unless your programs are taking up all of the space, I would spend my dime on a nice USB hard drive. This is not as convienent, but it adds another layer of safety and backup to everything.

You can keep your photos and other items you do not access on a daily basis on it and also use it to back other items up. It takes seconds to plug in and use and if your computer were to crap out, you would not lose everything. Also this can be used going forward when you do upgrade.
Buy one big enough and he can image his 100GB. Life is good!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I second Tech Guy's recommendation of Clonezilla. I've used it several times, and it's a great tool. If I were closer, I'd take care of it for you.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I like the external drive option.
Also, there is a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter kit you can buy. I think mine was around $20. It has a bunch of different connectors, and you go buy a bare SATA drive or use an old IDE drive and use this kit to connect it to a USB port as an external drive. That way you can go buy some $50 2TB drive and just plug it in for extra storage or a backup. When you're done, put the drive back in the antistatic bag and put it away until you need it again.

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to do the external drive thing and then get a new larger HDD for the laptop.

I'll let you guys know what happens. :thumbup1gif: Thanks for all the advice. :hi:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a Seagate 3TB GoFlex Home NAS drive for $143 at BestBuy. After it does its initial back-up, I'm going to tackle cloning the original laptop HDD and replace it. Can somebody post a link to the kit I'll need so I can upload the data to a new HDD? I haven't bought a new laptop HDD yet. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cloning

In order to clone the unit, you need to have a larger 2.5" hd and an external usb case to put the new drive in temp for cloning. Run the manufacturers clone software (seagate or western digital, software is licensed by Acronis to various manufacturers) which is downloaded for free. Clone the existing drive with new unit and then swap drives. This is a fairly simple process.

I could it do it fairly easy and quick if you were close since I own a computer business and have the resources.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cloning

By the way I would purchase seagate or western digital hd, stay away from all others. You are welcome to send me email.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a seagate 1.5 TB.. I decided not to get the one that required 120v power source. Power surge or what nots can make it fail. I also didn't like the idea of leaving the unit out on my desktop all the time. I plug mine up about every six months and back things up then pace the unit in a secured location. I recommend not to leave it next to your computer, that's the first things thieves grab!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
Tubbz71, Welcome to GTT. I've seen the Avatar someplace else. Maybe another forum I've been on?

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts
I plug mine up about every six months and back things up then pace the unit in a secured location.
Every 6 months? I couldn't imagine how much data I'd loose only backing up every six months.

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a seagate 1.5 TB.. I decided not to get the one that required 120v power source. Power surge or what nots can make it fail. I also didn't like the idea of leaving the unit out on my desktop all the time. I plug mine up about every six months and back things up then pace the unit in a secured location. I recommend not to leave it next to your computer, that's the first things thieves grab!
Nice thing about the NAS drive, it's nowhere near my computer. It's hooked into my network via an Ethernet cable directly to my wireless router. Any one of the computers on my network with the software and security settings can access it from anywhere. As long as I have a internet connection, I can get to anything on it.:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
Nice thing about the NAS drive, it's nowhere near my computer. It's hooked into my network via an Ethernet cable directly to my wireless router. Any one of the computers on my network with the software and security settings can access it from anywhere. As long as I have a internet connection, I can get to anything on it.:thumbup1gif:
Hence, NAS!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess it's a cool idea, but It's not anything I need at this time! Cool setup though!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts