Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hauling a fairly large stump up the road the other day with the FEL. Didn't have it quite centred and the road was banked a bit. Tractor started to tip, but I cut it the way it was going and lowered the stump, which brought the rear tire back down. Bit of a close call, and it sounds worse than what it was.

I'd be interested in hearing about close calls from others.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Whew, glad you caught it in time. Loader work is probably the most dangerous task on a tractor. I have yet to experience the "close call" and would prefer not to.

·
Administrator
17,253 Posts
Yup, good reaction to drop the loader! Sounds like you need more weight on the 3PH.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I think this counts as a close call...

Was trying to move a hay bale with the backhoe boom in tall grass and got into more slope than I though. The whole property was new to me.

Maybe if I had tried to use an iMatch to move a hay bale I would have been safe...:laugh:

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Pete
Holy smoke Pete, that looks like way more than a close call. Hope you or anyone did not get hurt. The really good news is it wasn't the green one. :laugh:

·
Banned
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the box jam full of granite rocks, chain, and a heavy pull tong. I'm pretty sure it was a combo of a high loader, high ballast box, mixed in with a touch of stupidity, and sloping curve....

Yup, good reaction to drop the loader! Sounds like you need more weight on the 3PH.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch, much damage, particularily to you?

Was trying to move a hay bale with the backhoe boom in tall grass and got into more slope than I though. The whole property was new to me.

Maybe if I had tried to use an iMatch to move a hay bale I would have been safe...:laugh:

Pete

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Didn't have my seat belt on, so I hiked up using the rops as it went over. As soon as it landed, I hopped down and killed the engine. Not a scratch on me, but I needed a change of undershorts.

I don't go where I don't know the lay of the land now. 2 days later, I had a wrecker wright the tractor and pull it up. Off to the shop it went, and all the fluids were changed then it was fired up. No real damage, the FOPS at the top has a little wrinkle in it.

The other close call that I suspect many have had is the going down a slope with a heavy load in the bucket and the back brakes don't work. Did that once, steered through it. Now I don't go down some slopes around the property without putting things in 4WD if there is _anything_ in the FEL. And that's with a backhoe on the back, I can't imagine no weight back there at all.

Whenever possible, I take luck over skill :mocking:. May we all survive our close calls.

Pete

·
Banned
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya, close calls tend to make one more cautious. Reminds me of my early motorcycling days. Had 3 close ones in one day, one almost getting hit by a train, the lights were out at the crossing. Had to go right over on the edge of the pavement and gun it to make it, train missed me by inches.

Glad to hear you faired okay on yours!

Didn't have my seat belt on, so I hiked up using the rops as it went over. As soon as it landed, I hopped down and killed the engine. Not a scratch on me, but I needed a change of undershorts.

I don't go where I don't know the lay of the land now. 2 days later, I had a wrecker wright the tractor and pull it up. Off to the shop it went, and all the fluids were changed then it was fired up. No real damage, the FOPS at the top has a little wrinkle in it.

The other close call that I suspect many have had is the going down a slope with a heavy load in the bucket and the back brakes don't work. Did that once, steered through it. Now I don't go down some slopes around the property without putting things in 4WD if there is _anything_ in the FEL. And that's with a backhoe on the back, I can't imagine no weight back there at all.

Whenever possible, I take luck over skill :mocking:. May we all survive our close calls.

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts