Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our standby generator has a sound enclosure that makes filling the oil without spillage almost impossible. I tried every technique I knew last year and still made a real mess. Then, I read that PVC can be bent using a heat gun or blow dryer. With my new custom funnel and a bungee cord, changing oil is a breeze. I know folks sell specialty funnels, but I can't imagine anything that would be better or cheaper than this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
Looks good!! I use one of these when filling the transaxle on my X500 but I don't think it would bend at a sharp enough angle at the end to work for you.

I'm always puzzled when manufacturers design something like this. I mean, how did they think folks would maintain it? Especially something as routine as an oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yikes! That is a crazy difficult location for the fill on that thing-makes you wonder why the top lid doesn’t come off?!??!??

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good!! I use one of these when filling the transaxle on my X500 but I don't think it would bend at a sharp enough angle at the end to work for you.
Yep -- I tried one of those last year. I couldn't get it bent to vertical, and didn't have enough hands to stabilize it while pouring anyway...

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
Yep -- I tried one of those last year. I couldn't get it bent to vertical, and didn't have enough hands to stabilize it while pouring anyway...
I know what you mean. I use some mechanics wire to hold it in place while I am pouring.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm always puzzled when manufacturers design something like this. I mean, how did they think folks would maintain it? Especially something as routine as an oil change.
I've found myself several times thinking I had plenty of gas in the tank as I was heading home. Only to see the gas gauge lower than I expected as I reached the gate of my property. Next thing I find, is how in the heck am I going to get the large filler spout on my military gas cans in that tiny unleaded baffle. I have one of them snakey spout funnels!! Grandpas. About 50yrs old, with no stand at attention left in it. Trying to hold that floppy thing upright...left knee pushing on the fuel door to hold the funnel, while trying my best to balance on the right leg, as I stood there shaking, as it took all I could muster to hold the full 5gal can..trying to regulate the flow from the large filler neck to the small necked funnel....where I was eventually covered in gas. That funnel was limper than my :lolol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts