Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about at my wits end. About 3 years ago I picked up an 82 John Deere 2040 with a 145 Loader and a 1650 backhoe. I'm an old heavy equipment operator and I wanted something to work the new property I moved onto. I use the tractor quite regularly as the property was and still is in complete disarray. Since day 1 I have been repairing the sins of the past. The previous owners used it hard and maintained it rarely. A reoccurring issue has been the hydraulics, the hydraulics were weak to begin with, but as soon as the oil warms up, the power goes down to almost nothing.
After fixing leaks, multiple fluid and filter changes, various new hoses, opening up the remote hydraulics with a manifold and quick connects, new oil cooler, new external pump, filter bypass valve and on and on... It's not getting better, but worse. I'm not used to working with closed center hydraulics, and before I split the tractor and refurbish the transmission pump I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions.
When I replaced the hydraulic pump I was excited that I had more power and the hydraulics responded well... until it warmed up, then a drastic reduction in power. With a better pump now I'm noticing a significant chattering in the cylinders, it doesn't matter which one, until the oil warms up and all the power goes out. When it's warmed up and running at a raised rpm the hydraulics pulse... please take a look at the 2 video links to see the Loader and the 3 point pulsing warmed up at 1500 rpm.

1982 John Deere 2040 hydraulic lift issues

1982 John Deere 2040 Remote Hydraulic issues

Any advise would be very much appreciated. I'm quite confused that there seems to be plenty of power until it warms up... and the pulsing/chattering is very worrisome.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
4430, 4040, 2350, 2355, 2950, 425 and IH 1586, NH TD95D
350 Posts
Do you have the service manuals? You will need them to run tests to try and pinpoint issues. If it were mine from what you have described and done to the tractor. I would remove the loader and backhoe, get it inside and plan on splitting AFTER you have run tests. And from what I have learned on the utility tractors it will a tedious project to repair internal leaks IF that is the problem.

One thing you didn't mention is pulling the transmission case filter. If you haven't done that you will need to. Part number 15. I also recommend using Hyguard if you are not already. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/58195/referrer/navigation/pgId/213299

Tx Jim will give additional and better instructions.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I would like to see a close up photo of how these breakaways in photo from your video.are attached to tractor hyd system. I think your tractors hyd's move the slowest I've ever witnessed.
Have you checked/cleaned hyd oil sump screen(item 30)? I also suggest to disconnect & cap pressure line to power steering then operate tractor hyd's to determine if hyd function better.

With hyd oil at operating temp,3 pt raised, engine operating at idle look inside open hyd filler hole for moving oil. Moving oil indicates failed rockshaft control valve seals.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am about at my wits end. About 3 years ago I picked up an 82 John Deere 2040 with a 145 Loader and a 1650 backhoe. I'm an old heavy equipment operator and I wanted something to work the new property I moved onto. I use the tractor quite regularly as the property was and still is in complete disarray. Since day 1 I have been repairing the sins of the past. The previous owners used it hard and maintained it rarely. A reoccurring issue has been the hydraulics, the hydraulics were weak to begin with, but as soon as the oil warms up, the power goes down to almost nothing.
After fixing leaks, multiple fluid and filter changes, various new hoses, opening up the remote hydraulics with a manifold and quick connects, new oil cooler, new external pump, filter bypass valve and on and on... It's not getting better, but worse. I'm not used to working with closed center hydraulics, and before I split the tractor and refurbish the transmission pump I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions.
When I replaced the hydraulic pump I was excited that I had more power and the hydraulics responded well... until it warmed up, then a drastic reduction in power. With a better pump now I'm noticing a significant chattering in the cylinders, it doesn't matter which one, until the oil warms up and all the power goes out. When it's warmed up and running at a raised rpm the hydraulics pulse... please take a look at the 2 video links to see the Loader and the 3 point pulsing warmed up at 1500 rpm.

1982 John Deere 2040 hydraulic lift issues

1982 John Deere 2040 Remote Hydraulic issues

Any advise would be very much appreciated. I'm quite confused that there seems to be plenty of power until it warms up... and the pulsing/chattering is very worrisome.

Thank you all.
Remove your filler cap for the hydraulic system. Using a flashlight with the engine running. Check for a leak from the rockshaft. Check for hissing noise or you may see a small stream of oil dripping down. If you see what may be a fine or smoky mist you may have a leak in your rockshaft cylinder. What you are describing is this type of issue. This hydraulic system has 2 pumps. A small charge open center charge pump supplying lube oil for transmission, Pressure oil for PTO clutch and brake,and supply oil to larger main pump which is closed center. Also a quick check is when Hydraulic oil is warm. Engage or disengage Pto while checking hydraulic functions of main pump. Those tractors have had issues with failures of the o'rings for rockshaft control valves causing this issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
KF650
Welcome to GTT
Some models of JD 2040's with 3 cyl engines manufactured for sales in N. America didn't have the option of hyd pto or hyd hi-lo
Rockshaft could still be issue. It may have a high pressure to sump leak. In that case it could cause this issue. Due to the way this hydraulic system operates. The gpm of the transmission pump is less than the gpm of the main pump. Low serial number 2040's prior to serial number 266749 had a open center hydraulic system. Depending on how this tractor was ordered would determine options for the Pto or Hi/Lo. A 1982 model would be the last of the 40 series. That would have been replaced by the 2150 in 1983.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your input, winter hit, and without an indoor space to work on the tractor my troubleshooting slowed down. I replaced the power steering bypass valve and things really opened up. I'm sure there are also problems with the rockershaft, the control has always been poor.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Congratulations on your repair & thank you for the update. May I ask what valve are you referring to as the ""power steering by-pass valve"" as I'm not familiar with that terminology. Is the pressure control what you're referring to?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations on your repair & thank you for the update. May I ask what valve are you referring to as the ""power steering by-pass valve"" as I'm not familiar with that terminology. Is the pressure control what you're referring to?
I'd have to dig out the book to get the actual name of the valve, but it's the last valve before the the oil is allowed to go to the remote. I attached a screenshot.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts