Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to locate, locally if possible, a LA JD. There are not many of them for sale in the south. I've found several in the northern states. But a Craigslist want ad gave me a connection for one only 75 miles away. A LA JD was the first tractor my dad ever owned and the first tractor I ever drove. Dad let a slick talker talk him out of it :nunu: in the late 60's and I remember crying as it rolled down the driveway. Dad has told me that he regretted selling it before it got out of the driveway. I have searched all over for Dad's original tractor but have not been able to find a link to it anywhere. Dad is 80 now and I'm trying to buy one while he still has health to enjoy it.

According to the owner, JD records show this tractor was produced the day after Pearl Harbor. Going to make a visit one day next week.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Good luck Wayne...I hope it works out for you.

---
- Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 44JohnDeereBR

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
VERY COOOOOL Wayne, We''re pullin' for ya. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
Wayne:

You will make your Dad's day. Yours too, when you see how happy it makes him. I'm sure your Dad remembers exactly where he was and what he was doing on the day the LA was built.

Are you going to check on the L&G tractor in the background?

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wayne:

You will make your Dad's day. Yours too, when you see how happy it makes him. I'm sure your Dad remembers exactly where he was and what he was doing on the day the LA was built.

Are you going to check on the L&G tractor in the background?
Yeah, I wish I could get it recorded somehow, he's going to be very surprised. And yes, he remembers Pearl Harbor very vividly.

As far as the L&G tractor, while I'm there I may make it a package deal offer.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little John

I went and looked at the LA today and bought the tractor. Will be moving it home on Friday. Dad was very excited about it when i called and told him I made the deal. Here's a few shots of it..

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
WOW, What a beauty! Looks like a very done resto on that machine from the pictures. You dun good UW:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

:good2::thumbup1gif::good2::thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
That is totally Awesome Wayne...........

As I've 'bored' people with before, I think that I've bought an "M" that was manufactured the same week I was born! There's just something about a 'connection' with these old machines that I can't explain, describe, or understand! But, Your's is totally "Parade-Ready" AWESOME!!!!!!!! I wish I could see the look on your Dad's face when that comes up the drive! Ya done good 'Kid'..........:laugh: Let us know of his reaction! Pictures would be great. We're all 'family' after all..........~Scotty

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
UW:

That is a beautiful tractor and a great peice of John Deere history. Please let us know what your Dad says when he sees it. I know it makes you feel very happy to be able to do that for him.

Don

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Hey- Uncle Wayne.......It's only August!........

.......Hope your not going to wait until "Pearl Harbor Day" (December 7th) to make the 'presentation'!!!!! Keep your DT Friends posted...........~Scotty

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LA John Deere at home now

I picked the tractor up last Friday and made it home all right. We had already planned a family gathering for Sunday so I was going to unveil the LA then. I had the tractor in the back yard ready. Rode the granddaughters on it and was waiting on dad to show up. Dad had called and was going to be a little later than planned so we went back in the house to escape the heat for awhile and wait on dad.

After a while I looked outside just by chance and dad was walking around the tractor! He had arrived and went straight to the back yard before coming in the house. When I got out there, he was smiling ear to ear. He said, "it's just like Little John." (Little John was what he had named his tractor years ago.)

He was so happy. I cranked it up and as it was running, dad walked me around the tractor and pointed out little things that I "needed to know" about the LA. I throttled it down very slow and as it set there singing the JD song, Dad was young again. He was as happy as I've seen him since mom passed away.

It was a great day for me. Dad reminisced all afternoon about his LA and my learning to drive it.

We're taking it to the local tractor club "Plow day" this Saturday. Hopefully I can get a few pictures of dad and Little John in action.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Wow, great story and picture! I almost had a :cray: while reading it :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The serial number on my LA according to John Deere, indicates it was put into production on December 8, 1941, the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed. There had to be some very nervous men working on my tractor 70 years ago during this week.
Can you imagine some of the thoughts that were running through their minds?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts