Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Mine came with a plastic discharge plug. Ya plug it in and mow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Who's got easy, homemade solutions for closing off your deck discharge to help mulch leaves? I'm trying to find the best/easiest way to do this.
Timely question! Hmmmm...:munch:

·
Premium Member
14,104 Posts
Don't have a picture at this time, but I took a old metal sign cut it to length . Bent about 3" angle on the long side of sign ,cut the height needed , cut two notches where the bolts holding the side discharge . Loosen the bolts slide the chute under the discharge chute ,tighten the nuts, ready to do leaves.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
This is how I did mine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As mentioned in a previous thread, here is how I did mine with some sheet metal. I originally tried cardboard and duct tape to see if my wild idea would work out for me with leaf mulching and I admit that it worked pretty well too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,104 Posts
Ok here are some measurements and pictures. While taking the pictures I noticed the front right side of could be about 2-3" in length instead of the 3/4". Also what is nice you can loosen the two bolts turn the chute over and use to block opening or put in the upright position till needed and leave the discharge chute in place.

As someone else stated, it nothing else make a template with cardboard till happy. and then make the final item. My was made at least 6 yrs ago for the older style 54 deck but still works.
Also liked the one made from wood,, anything that helps keep the leaves and grass from being discharged is the main thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good options. My dad had a plate made for our mower when I was a kid. It left strips of leaves where they hit plate and fell. Any of you experience that with your blocks?

·
Registered
113 Posts
All good options. My dad had a plate made for our mower when I was a kid. It left strips of leaves where they hit plate and fell. Any of you experience that with your blocks?
I have the same issue. My block is just a piece of old metal shelving cut to fit and attached with a bungee cord on a 50" deck. I just mow in the direction of the discharge chute.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Being crude, frugal and lazy (not necessarily in that order) I made mine (X2) out of 2 pieces of 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth (screen) with a slice of heavy floormat sandwiched between. I whacked it into shape around the top and ends of the opening with a rubber mallet and use a doubled bungee to hold it on. The first one on the 48C lasted about 5 years mulching grass (and one Teddy bear) and seasonal leaf cleanup. The one for my 54D has only about 1 hour on it so far, but it works the same as a hi-dollar "kit".

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I do not remember it being a big problem last year. I do use gator blades.

Here are some before & after pictures from last year after I made the cover.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
There is a fix for that. It is called a chainsaw.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One (M8)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Many leaves.

I have a similar problem. Sometimes the leaves are so deep I'm pushing them with the tractor. Once I butcher them up with the chute plugged I take the chute off and go in circles to blow them into as much a pile as i can. I then rake them into my loader and put them in the mulch pile out back. works ok but would really like to have one of those vacuumthings:good2:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You will know when to make that decision.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One (M8)

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Guess you missed my sarcasm... Easy decision. Trees stay. Leaves go. That's why I started this thread
I agree. For all of the wonderful shade trees provide during the hot summer days and the beautiful display of changing colors in autumn, the fall leaf cleanup is a small price to pay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts