Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a older 2140 john deere 4wd/cab .......i have a issue where on occasions the clutch does not totally disengage making shifting hard ....usually all is good when it is rarely used but as a work day goes along or i push and hold it for a while it gets weaker

It is a hydraulic ....master cylinder/slave cylinder setup ....

no fluid loss ...and zero exterior leaks on the system

i suspect either the slave or the master cylinder has a internal leak .....any hints of how to diagnose which is the problem ....or diagnose if it is a pilot bearing or other issue ???

Registered
I'm not that familiar with the 2140, but I would have thought that the clutch was similar to the 30 series which is mechanical. How many hours are on your tractor? Has the clutch ever been replaced? Have you adjusted the free play? Someone with more experience than I on the 40 series.

Registered
My guess either the slave &/or master cylinder is bypassing internally when utilized frequently. Have you tried bleeding the clutch operating system? FYI if new components are required the newly installed cylinders are very difficult to BLEED the air from them. I've read where bench bleeding of cylinders before installation is advised

Registered
My guess either the slave &/or master cylinder is bypassing internally when utilized frequently. Have you tried bleeding the clutch operating system? FYI if new components are required the newly installed cylinders are very difficult to BLEED the air from them. I've read where bench bleeding of cylinders before installation is advised
I knew that you would be along soon. I was sure it would have a mechanical clutch, but now I know. Thanks, Jim

Registered
As Jim stated, the slave &/master cylinder may be bypassing. I would try bleeding the system first, before replacing parts.

I've found some success bleeding the clutch slave and master cylinder using a Bleed-Back(Reverse) method.

Read the article on thispagefor instructions.

The article may state differently, but make sure you use the proper brake fluid that JD calls for.

Flushing the system.

Bleed-Back/Reverse bleeding.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
internal bypass is/was my thought also ......hate to replace both components....trying to figure a way to determine which is bypassing or both....will try a bleed ...if you guys have anymore thoughts dont hesitate to toss them out...

due to age will probably just replace components as needed vs rebuild.....any clue as to why it would be hard to bleed in place vs on bench?....(elevation?)

Registered
I haven't personally attempted to bleed clutch components on JD Mannheim built utility tractors equipped with cabs but everything I've ever read stated bleeding air out of newly replaced components was difficult.

Registered
If your problem is bypassing fluid, it has to be the master cylinder if there is no loss of fluid. When the slave cylinders leak, they leak externally. Does the pedal feel differently? If there is air in the system, it shouldn't make any difference how long you run it. There is always a possibility you have a mechancal problem with the clutch or pressure plate. They can sometimes warp when warm with heavy use and then straighten as they cool.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
If your problem is bypassing fluid, it has to be the master cylinder if there is no loss of fluid. When the slave cylinders leak, they leak externally. Does the pedal feel differently? If there is air in the system, it shouldn't make any difference how long you run it. There is always a possibility you have a mechancal problem with the clutch or pressure plate. They can sometimes warp when warm with heavy use and then straighten as they cool.
i dont notice any difference in pedal feel over ussage time .......thank you for the imput...you are correct i had not considered that only the master cylinder could be leaking internally/bypassing (thank you for pointing that out)

Registered
jd110
So if I'm understanding correctly what you state the slave cylinder has no internal seal to fail therefore the cylinder rod serves as the cylinder piston similar to combine platform lift cylinder.

Registered
There is a piston, but there is no seal on the rod other than a dust boot. Once the oil gets past piston seal, it can not get back to the master cylinder reservoir. A small amount can get trapped in the boot, but will soon leak externally.

Attachments

Registered
jd110
Thanks for reply. I looked for the parts schematic in PC you posted but I guess I overlooked it. Yes it appears to be constructed very similar to combine platform lift cylinder.
Thanks,Jim

Premium Member
I was also thinking master cylinder leaking internally. There MAY be dirt in the master cylinder (seals) causing a seal to leak, that bleeding MIGHT flush out.
I do not know if the master cylinder is rebuildable, or parts are available, but with cars/trucks (brake master cylinder) I never tried to rebuild, too important a part for me to take any chances.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts