Green Tractor Talk banner

Cold Cellar Storage

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  J3 Driver 
#1 ·
Does anyone have something like this for storage of potatoes, carrots, apples and such. I’m thinking of digging/building somewhere to keep stuff. Now that I have a backhoe it should be easy peasy. For those that have one, what crops are you storing in them or what would be possible to store in that kind of environment?

Reactions: BigJim55
#2 ·
pretty much what u just said above. both my grand parents had them. on top of everything else in them, it made a great place to hang a deer for a couple of days, they wouldn't freeze so hard then, to cut them up.

how big are u looking to make it? 10 by 10 maybe:dunno::munch:

Reactions: rjpoog1989
#5 ·
I’m not sure about size. Maybe 8x8 or so. Been looking at some ideas online and the most intriguing so far is to bury a 1500 gallon water tank. Seems like a very cost effective way to get the job done. I found one on marketplace for $250 but it’ll be a drive to get it. Probably at least another $100 in gas...

From what I can gather you want 2 vents for air circulation. 1 at floor level and one at ceiling height. I think the floor one to be facing prevailing wind, but can’t remember.

#3 ·
Kinda.

We poured a full basement under our porch. We keep canned god and potatoes down there. I’m slowing getting it dry looked to help keep some moisture out as I have other stuff I want to store in it at well. It’s about 8X40 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
j3 driver--did ya install a window or i should say a vent of some sorts along the outside wall? my aunt done the same thing in her front porch-it works great--bad thing--she's getting way up there in age--and her knees are pretty bad now-so she hates to walk down her basement steps to get to it.

i wanted the same thing underneath my front porch too-but the company that was doing my foundation was giving me fits about the extra pour-so i gave up on it-but i wish i would of insisted about:nunu:

#11 ·
No we didn’t. I do run a dehumidifier innit to help keep the moisture down because I have a good many things stored in cardboard boxes. All the canned vegetables are in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DRobinson
#6 ·
I keep toying with the same sort of idea. I have a small hill in my side yard so I thought about digging into the hill, pouring a concrete slab, some cinder black walls and finding some way to pour a concrete slab roof. Then I'd use the soil I dug out to bury everything except the doorway. The basic concept would follow the old root cellars of yore. My only concern with the plan is keeping rodents out.

We grow a sizeable garden every year and it would be nice to keep fruits and veggies in a way they keep longer.

#8 ·
I’ve seen a lot of plans online for doing that. I’ve been wondering what the cost of such a thing would be. I could do the work myself, but materials would not be cheap.

We have a good sized garden, but I’m hoping to expand and do things easier.

I grew up with cold cellars. We kept mostly potatoes and apples in ours.

Our current house has kind of a fruit cellar of sorts. It’s concrete block but only 1/2 underground. It is the foundation of what was once a porch but is now our sitting room. It works fairly well but would work better if it was totally underground.

You don’t hear much about these things anymore. People don’t seem to store food anymore - depend on the store to keep it for them.....

Our regular basement is lined with shelves for canned goods - canned in the sense of our home canned stuff.
We can a good bit of stuff, and I store that in the basement. Some stuff, especially carrots, I prefer to be fresh. I’m wondering though if I could store cabbage heads or green peppers whole in the cellar.

#7 ·
I grew up with cold cellars. We kept mostly potatoes and apples in ours.

Our current house has kind of a fruit cellar of sorts. It’s concrete block but only 1/2 underground. It is the foundation of what was once a porch but is now our sitting room. It works fairly well but would work better if it was totally underground.

You don’t hear much about these things anymore. People don’t seem to store food anymore - depend on the store to keep it for them.....

Our regular basement is lined with shelves for canned goods - canned in the sense of our home canned stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.