Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had two choices, knowing what you know now as owners of 1025r series, would you choose the 1025r TLB or the 2032r with bucket only? My plan is to pick up my 1025r TLB this week but I guess I'm having cold feet. I only own 3 acres but plan on plowing driveways and spreading salt in the winter. I don't use it as a mower but do plan on cleaning up some trees and brush to clean up the property. What do you think?

Thank you for your input. Big purchases make me think too much.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I can’t tell you what size to go with. I have the 2038r now on 2.25 acres because the 1025r was too short to comfortably get over the side of my dump trailer.

My 2 cents are that I would never get the backhoe. I don’t think you’ll ever break even or come close to on that investment and even if you did use it a lot it is just not an efficient way to dig. For pipes or cables and ditch witch is far superior and for normal digging a mini ex will shine.

I do think you’ll be happy either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
My 1 series TLB has proven exceptionally useful and yes, I have to mow with it, although with my rear yard 4 wheel drive is required frequently.
I really wanted a 2 series for the wheel diameters and slightly better lift height but everything for it was higher priced and I could barely afford what I got.
Backhoe is a treat! I'm guessing you are forgoing that on the 2 series to keep the price down?
My suggestion is get the 2 series with a backhoe if you can, but if you have digging projects you may not mind the smaller tractor.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I have learned a LOT being a member here in my short time. The retirement property the Mrs and I are planning on will be between 2-4 acres at most.

Thus, I had started out with wanting the 1025R and knew that the Mauser cab was a definite-must-have option for us. It seemed like a perfect fit but after figuring in getting wheel spacers and larger wheels to give it a little more balance, we felt the 2025R would be a better fit due to the size and the price not being all that much different.

A 2032 though, in my opinion (which is what you asked for) is WAY too much overkill for what we proposed to do with ours. The extra $6K for the larger tractor is the cost of the Mauser cab..... and Id rather it take a little longer, but staying alot warmer in the winter any day!!! :laugh:

Dont get me wrong, Ive gone and checked out both machines and I admit, its gorgeous but..... its just way too much tractor for what Id ever use it for.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 1 series TLB has proven exceptionally useful and yes, I have to mow with it, although with my rear yard 4 wheel drive is required frequently.
I really wanted a 2 series for the wheel diameters and slightly better lift height but everything for it was higher priced and I could barely afford what I got.
Backhoe is a treat! I'm guessing you are forgoing that on the 2 series to keep the price down?
My suggestion is get the 2 series with a backhoe if you can, but if you have digging projects you may not mind the smaller tractor.
Thanks, If I bought the 2 series the backhoe would put it too far out of budget considering some other implements that I would need to purchase.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have learned a LOT being a member here in my short time. The retirement property the Mrs and I are planning on will be between 2-4 acres at most.

Thus, I had started out with wanting the 1025R and knew that the Mauser cab was a definite-must-have option for us. It seemed like a perfect fit but after figuring in getting wheel spacers and larger wheels to give it a little more balance, we felt the 2025R would be a better fit due to the size and the price not being all that much different.

A 2032 though, in my opinion (which is what you asked for) is WAY too much overkill for what we proposed to do with ours. The extra $6K for the larger tractor is the cost of the Mauser cab..... and Id rather it take a little longer, but staying alot warmer in the winter any day!!! :laugh:

Dont get me wrong, Ive gone and checked out both machines and I admit, its gorgeous but..... its just way too much tractor for what Id ever use it for.
Very good points. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,241 Posts
Having cold feet is understandable. If you're already committed to the 1025, via signed documents, don't worry. You're gonna love it. I have 4 acres and snow plow drives and our 1/4 mile gravel road, as well as box blade the potholes in the road with my 1025 (among other things). Sometimes I think I'd like a larger tractor, but for my size yard it's just about right. Besides, the money the larger tractor would cost I can get implements instead for the 1025. Now I can do a lot with/to my yard...anytime I want.

As far as the backhoe, I love it. Today the Mrs & I planted our flowers for the season and I had to go to the part of our yard that has great black dirt and scoop up some and use in the planting. 5 backhoe buckets dumped into the garden cart in about 5 minutes and off she went (pulled by the other tractor). Another 2 projects I did last year with the backhoe.....300 feet of drain tile for the downspouts on the house and barn. Best thing.....I could do it at my leisure and not once did I hurt my back :thumbup1gif:

Another great thing about a TLB....resale. They lose very little of their value.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having cold feet is understandable. If you're already committed to the 1025, via signed documents, don't worry. You're gonna love it. I have 4 acres and snow plow drives and our 1/4 mile gravel road, as well as box blade the potholes in the road with my 1025 (among other things). Sometimes I think I'd like a larger tractor, but for my size yard it's just about right. Besides, the money the larger tractor would cost I can get implements instead for the 1025. Now I can do a lot with/to my yard...anytime I want.

As far as the backhoe, I love it. Today the Mrs & I planted our flowers for the season and I had to go to the part of our yard that has great black dirt and scoop up some and use in the planting. 5 backhoe buckets dumped into the garden cart in about 5 minutes and off she went (pulled by the other tractor). Another 2 projects I did last year with the backhoe.....300 feet of drain tile for the downspouts on the house and barn. Best thing.....I could do it at my leisure and not once did I hurt my back :thumbup1gif:

Another great thing about a TLB....resale. They lose very little of their value.

Just food for thought.

Thank you for the details. I haven't signed for the tractor yet and it wasn't special ordered so I'm sure opting for something different wouldn't be a big deal. It really looks like the 1025r still gets the job done and I will kick myself everything I could have used that backhoe.

·
Super Moderator
2,241 Posts
Thank you for the details. I haven't signed for the tractor yet and it wasn't special ordered so I'm sure opting for something different wouldn't be a big deal. It really looks like the 1025r still gets the job done and I will kick myself everything I could have used that backhoe.
Yes the 1025 does get things done. Some things may take longer than the 'big boy's but hey, that's more seat time.

Like any tool, you learn its strengths and weaknesses and learn to make it work. When you own an implement like the backhoe, you'll be surprised what projects you do. When you have to rent or borrow one, you usually plan everything out, get all the necessary material rounded up, go pick up the machine, drive it home, do the work, hurry to get it back...blah blah blah. When you have one of your own you can do spur of the moment digs like I did today.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I would hate to be the guy that talked you into a 1 series and you ended up regretting the small machine but I will mention the backhoe has got to be the most interesting attachment to run.

I dug an electrical trench at the girlfriends house last summer and it worked pretty well.
I did have some trouble trying to crowd the bucket toward me after curling the bucket into a load and thought to myself that the machine was weaker than I would have liked, but after jumping off and hand shoveling a little in a 45 degree bend I had to take I realized how damn hard that soil was and got my lazy ass back in the seat real quick!

Hope you come back after you purchase the machine you decide on and join the motley crew on here.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
121 Posts
My quest started with the need to have a tractor more capable than my 1962 30hp Fordson Dexta with no Loader capability.

Baby is a beast and brushhogs trees (10ft tall coastal myrtles)

video of the Dexta cutting the 2"-3"diameter Myrtles
https://www.facebook.com/100010050791916/videos/283857908625900/?t=3

But I needed something more than a 50 yr old mower.. I needed something for the homeplace. I needed something for the project land 300 miles away to move dirt and dig .. I needed it in a compact form and within my budget at a ridiculous 0% offer... now I will say I didn't knkowof this site prepurchase so I didn't know of the limitations of the post hole ;ift.., but hell I got Ol' Blue eh?:yahoo:

after my 1025r cured my creek issues with the backhoe, and helped me with other bad drainage [arts of my property, after moving dirt with the loader, im not questioning the choice at all.
good luck with your choice, im sure you'll be happy.:bigthumb:.. make a list of pros an cons.. attachments needed and cost:gizmo:

See ya in the yard!:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
You can rent a mini-track hoe a bunch of times for the cost of a backhoe....convenience has a price, and a cost...you could also buy a whole bunch of other implements for the cost of a backhoe. Figure what projects you face first and buy to fulfill that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You'd be surprised how much you will use a backhoe. I use mine all the time on projects I never thought of. Yeah, you can rent a mini exc., but you'll need to figure in the hassle to go pick it up, work the heck out of it, then return it. I used to do this. IMHO it was a pain in the a**. All that was needed were an afternoon of thunderstorms or a unexpected setback and you're shelling out hundreds of dollars on a rental machine for nothing.

And yes, a mini track machine will dig better and faster. But you can say that on just about any tractor attachment. A small skid steer will outperform the loader of a SCUT, but it'll dig the crap out of your yard in the process. A zero turn will do much better at mowing, but it isn't very good on real hilly terrain. You also wouldn't spend 30-50K on a track excavator to enjoy the benefits of a backhoe.

These machines do many tasks but none of them are typically superior. It's the "many tasks" part that makes them shine.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You'd be surprised how much you will use a backhoe. I use mine all the time on projects I never thought of. Yeah, you can rent a mini exc., but you'll need to figure in the hassle to go pick it up, work the heck out of it, then return it. I used to do this. IMHO it was a pain in the a**. All that was needed were an afternoon of thunderstorms or a unexpected setback and you're shelling out hundreds of dollars on a rental machine for nothing.

And yes, a mini track machine will dig better and faster. But you can say that on just about any tractor attachment. A small skid steer will outperform the loader of a SCUT, but it'll dig the crap out of your yard in the process. A zero turn will do much better at mowing, but it isn't very good on real hilly terrain. You also wouldn't spend 30-50K on a track excavator to enjoy the benefits of a backhoe.

These machines do many tasks but none of them are typically superior. It's the "many tasks" part that makes them shine.
^^This in a nutshell.
I've had the 1025 TLB for about 6 years. There's always a time where a mini ex would be 10 times faster or easier. Just like there's always a time where a dozer or bigger loader would be easier. But the 1025 gets the jobs done i have around my 4 acres. I'm always glad i got the backhoe and not the mower deck.
Not trying to talk you out of a bigger tractor mind you because i have no idea of your needs.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I had a 1025R for a year. To small for for me. I went to a 3R and going to a 4R.
I never bought a back hoe. To much money for a home owner to set around. If I need a back hoe I rented one for nothing
compair to buying one. Also it free up storage space.
I do have a loader , forks, brush hog, tow behing mower, box blade, rake and 3rd 4th and 5th svc all for less then a 10k back hoe.
I have 15 acers.
I'm not saying a back hoe is bad it's just not a tool you going to use the most.
I would look at the 2R with a bucket and maybe a cab with A/C
You will enjoy life better.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have less acreage than you and bought a 1025r TLB. It's completely over kill for what I need, and I don't regret it a bit. :laugh: Beats the heck out of a shovel, and for me, the convenience is worth the dollars spent. I don't like or enjoy renting anything. It's only :gizmo: As it was, a 1xxx series was the smallest JD machine with a factory fel. I felt I would hate myself later if I passed on the hoe. Economics be dammed at this point in my life. Surprisingly, I've used the hoe just as much as the loader.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,488 Posts
To add to the confusion.
I had a BH on my 1988 JD650, used it A LOT. I have a BH for the 2320, don't use it near as much as I did with the 650.
I guess the point is once the BH work is done, it's pretty much done.
Trade in value of a tractor with a BH is pretty darn good.

BTW joeymjustice, IMO cold feet is normal for a first time buyer, that will be gone in about 2 weeks and you'll be happy no matter what you buy.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts