Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have been around quite a few 445's, every one will cough, choke, hick-up, burp, throw-up, shiver and shake on cold start. So as I have been looking at my friend's and family's 445s', mine is the worst with a fresh rebuild. So, ware do you start to look for this cure?

·
Registered
223 Posts
When you say cold start , what's the temperature? You also say fresh rebuild, does that mean they installed new glow plugs or used the old ones when it was rebuilt?
If they tested and assuming the old ones where good , reinstalled the old ones , I would start there. Even if new ones were put in I would check them to be sure they are good also. If they test good check to ensure you have voltage to them.

·
Administrator
20,468 Posts
Isn't the 445 gas?

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
As I have been around quite a few 445's, every one will cough, choke, hick-up, burp, throw-up, shiver and shake on cold start. So as I have been looking at my friend's and family's 445s', mine is the worst with a fresh rebuild. So, ware do you start to look for this cure?
Your 445 is fuel injected. Assuming it runs well after warm-up it could be a number of things. Check the fuel pressure first. Does the pump pressurize the fuel injector when you turn the key on, prior to cranking? Does the system hold pressure at rest. Could be fuel leaking back through the pump check valve back into the tank OR a leaking injector draining residual pressure off and flooding the engine when you shut it down. Could also be an engine or air temp sensor out of range.

In order to go any further you'll need a service manual, fuel pressure test kit and a good multimeter.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Mine starts great, right down to -5 F. Its a 2000 with 640 hours. I cannot help with troubleshooting though, just saying it's not all of them,

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I might of over killed my statement earlier. It will start easy. But not smooth. I just started it up a few minutes ago; out side temp is 8 degrees. If I wanna put the throttle past 1/2 way it will run smooth. But I don't like to do that on any cold engines. That might be what people in here are confused about. This engine is still breaking in yet, so I might just give it some more run time before I start wrenching.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was -4 degrees today and I started up the 445. It started the same as if it was 40 degrees. Rough idle at first, then smoothed out about 3 minutes or so later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts