Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any other folks living in the Northern tier are doing any special things to maintain their JD's (or others) in colder climates. In AK we use different grades of grease for arctic use and install block heaters, oil pan heating pads, transmission heating pads. All those heating elements are handy to keep the tractors plugged in at night so oil and hydraulic fluids are warm on start-up. Anyone else using straight synthetic oils, hydro fluids, grease in cold weather and how are they working? I'm basically seeing what is working for tractor maintenance in colder climates and what is not. I'd rather learn this way than working on a broke tractor in the winter. Thanks

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I was wondering if any other folks living in the Northern tier are doing any special things to maintain their JD's (or others) in colder climates. In AK we use different grades of grease for arctic use and install block heaters, oil pan heating pads, transmission heating pads. All those heating elements are handy to keep the tractors plugged in at night so oil and hydraulic fluids are warm on start-up. Anyone else using straight synthetic oils, hydro fluids, grease in cold weather and how are they working? I'm basically seeing what is working for tractor maintenance in colder climates and what is not. I'd rather learn this way than working on a broke tractor in the winter. Thanks
I just changed to Amsoil 5-40 synthetic. I wanted to go with the JD 0-40 plus 50 synthetic, but the dealer didn't have any on hand. I have a block heater, and I am considering the JD transmission oil heater also.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
My main concern in Michigan is fuel. I need to burn all the summer fuel out of my tank, or as much as I can, then fill with winter fuel and treat it with additive. There is such a long time between final plowing of food plots and moving snow that my tractor just sits. I have the battery tender on the battery and that's all. When I start the tractor I give a a while to warm up!

Sent via TapaTalk from a hunting blind near you. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
At 50Hr maint I changed to Amsoil 5-40w synthetic and low-vis JD transmission fluid. I know I'm in the "banana belt" compared to you but it helped in the winter. I also cycle the gloplugs at least 3 times before starting. I doctor up all the fuel with Amsoil "Diesel Concentrate & Cold Flow Improver" and "Cetane Boost Additive".

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil anf other fluids

At my last oil change I went with the JD 0-40 synthetic. I'm getting ready to change out hydraulic fluid and looking for a good synthetic that will work well in JD equipment. My tractor has the manual transmission so I don't have the e-hydro to worry about in the extreme cold. I was able to plug in for two hours and warm everything up then fired right up this weekend and it was only 5 degrees. Once things warmed up I was able to do a couple hours plowing and moving hay.
I understand the switch from summer blend to winter blend to prevent jelling. So far I have run #1 (winter blend) in my tractor year round. I do add Diesel Doctor or Howes so I have added lubricity for the fuel pump etc. It's worked fine. From what I understand the #2 (summer blend) will provide a bit more power. I'll try and get some for use this summer.
Next purchase.... A cab.... Brrrr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.