Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hobby of collecting paper stock certificates is known as Scripophily. Now some will ask why bother to collect these but like any collection, if you have to ask why, then it likely wouldn't interest you.:unknown:

I began collecting these many years ago when they were issued to you for your ownership in the specific equity. As I purchased shares in various companies, I noticed that some companies really produced very nice certificates, very detailed and intricately designed and quite colorful, far more than what was necessary to merely be functional. The extent of design and color which went into some certificates is quite impressive, especially considering these were often produced well before the technology made this type of production much easier.:geek:

I presently have approximately 10,000 different certificates in my collection. They vary from enterprises involving the ownership of the Titanic, the infamous Pullman Car Company which made luxurious rail cars and also held one of the most violent responses to an organized labor strike to automotive companies which were arround for a very limited time in the early 1900's. I have an extensive collection of Air Line certificates and we quickly forget many of the airlines which came and went along the way. For example, Eastern, Pan Am Air, Trump Air, Hughes Aviation and many others.:airplane:

I also collect life insurance company policy documents from prior to the 1940's. I have contracts which were entirely written in a calligraphy style writing by hand, from the first word / page to the very last. My collection of these is much smaller and less than 30 total documents. The oldest document I have was issued in the 1870's.

The other odd thing I have taken to collecting is Encyclopedia Sets, and I have complete sets starting in the 1890's to the 1970's. My goal was to have a set of encyclopedias for each decade. They are really interesting to read through and see the changes such as the remapping of Europe numerous times. The way they provided information, for the most part, was very factual and certainly not politically biased as things are today. Many young people today have never seen a set of encyclopedias and are pretty clueless to using them the way many of us did as we grew up. :dunno:

The old Life Insurance policy contracts are much more difficult to locate than stock certificates as the issuing companies often required the beneficiary surrender the original issued contracts back to the insurance company upon the filing of the beneficiary claimants statement. The reason for this practice was to prevent someone from finding the contract, years after the initial death claim was paid and then inquiring with the Life Insurer about the validity of the contract.

Back in the "old days", it was a time consuming administrative task to check on the status of a policy which someone "found" many years after the claim was paid and the original file was "dead filed". That is the term used for old files held after their required IRS record retention period post death claim payment. Now of course, it merely takes seconds to verify the status.

So please, tell us about anything you collect, besides tractors. This should be interesting....Thanks for responding.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Very, very, cool. I had no idea that that was a type of collecting! Do you have a pic? I might have to try it.

I Don't collect much other than bachmann electric trains. All new stock. I'm not very far in my collection yet- which might be a good thing!:lol: Will try to get a picture soon.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If I'm to believe what I was told by an antique book/map/paper dealer, stock certificates were made as fancy as possible to combat any ol' Joe from printing off a batch of his own, like money before good USB printers.:laugh:

I used to collect anything New York Central RR and I also have some stocks bearing the near photographic likeness of Cornelius Vanderbilt. They are as fine an engraving as any Twenty $ bill's of the time.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Ok, I came on this topic as I didn't know what Scripophily was. I also didn't know people collected these kind of things. New to me. Thanks for the knowledge. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,049 Posts
Tools, Tractors, Trumpets and Harley Davidson's. Have way too many tools but there was a time when I used them for a living. Also have everything inherited from my Father and Grandfather. I'm down to two tractors, three vintage trumpets and three HD's after selling off some of the fleet.

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
I don't collect anything. I don't know....I've always been the type that if something isn't useful it doesn't stay around.

I do have a lot of books but those are read - not to just look at on a shelf.

I do have lots of tools but they all have a purpose.

I tried taking up collection something when I first had to stop working to help fill my time - just couldn't do it and don't understand it for some reason.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Cool, would love to see a few pics of some.

My collecting addiction is vintage camping trailers. A little more bulky that certificates. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
Nothing as cool as SulleyBear for sure.
I used to collect as much official company paperwork as I could find from the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie, and Conrail railroads. I also used to collect baseball cards, and NASCAR diecast of mostly Jeff Gordon. Key words "used to". Haven't done any collecting for quite a while.

I guess it's not really considered a collection, but I do have an extensive collection so to speak of HO railroad equipment from my "basement empire building" days.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very, very, cool. I had no idea that that was a type of collecting! Do you have a pic? I might have to try it.

I Don't collect much other than bachmann electric trains. All new stock. I'm not very far in my collection yet- which might be a good thing!:lol: Will try to get a picture soon.
I will have to get some pictures. Soon as I have some, I will post them. Thanks....

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I'm to believe what I was told by an antique book/map/paper dealer, stock certificates were made as fancy as possible to combat any ol' Joe from printing off a batch of his own, like money before good USB printers.:laugh:

I used to collect anything New York Central RR and I also have some stocks bearing the near photographic likeness of Cornelius Vanderbilt. They are as fine an engraving as any Twenty $ bill's of the time.
You are correct about the need to combat fraud as one of the reasons why the certificates were really "fancied" up in many cases. While they do specifiy the specific number of shares and many of the originals were actually issued to someone who's name and address appear on them, others did not so they would have been easier to fake.

Also, in the old days, the issuing companies seeking the investment capital and kept detailed books on who owned how many of their shares. You had to redeem your shares to the "Official recordkeeper" who would verify your ownership and then forward you the proceeds when you redeemed them. Now with the ways equities are traded, can you imagine trying to maintain these types of records before you would allow someone to get their money? I have some friends who trade in and out of the same stock several times a day. While I don't subscribe to this approach of timing, they do it for the smallest swings and will cash out if they hit a targeted return objective.

I will have to post some good pics of some of my more elaborate certificates so people who haven't seen them will see what we are talking about. The extent of detail in some are very impressive.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nothing as cool as SulleyBear for sure.
I used to collect as much official company paperwork as I could find from the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie, and Conrail railroads. I also used to collect baseball cards, and NASCAR diecast of mostly Jeff Gordon. Key words "used to". Haven't done any collecting for quite a while.

I guess it's not really considered a collection, but I do have an extensive collection so to speak of HO railroad equipment from my "basement empire building" days.
There are certain railroads which I have collected everything I could find from their printed schedules to ticket stubs for riders to pay stubs from their workers as well as any of their promotion material. There is something special to me about railroads but I don't know what it is and I have no family railroad connections that I am aware of. I also have railroad phones and lights and signaling lanterns. My wife is cleaning the carpet in my "collection room" where I have all of the stuff cataloged and organized so I best stay out of there for a day or two until the carpet is really good and dry......

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I collect diecast tractors, trucks and what not. Mostly Ertl Deere stuff in 1/64 scale. I don't have space for big stuff. :)

I've started branching out into other brands. I've got a bunch of this stuff.

View attachment 43263
I also have some die cast stuff. It's amazing how big the die cast hobby has gotten. I have a bunch of packaged matchbox cars from back in the 70's and 80's which were never opened. I used to have all of these in a display case but even in there they could get dusty so I repacked them all and put them away. Kind of out of sight, out of mind.

Boy those who are serious collectors of certain die cast things are very specific about never having unpackaged some of the more unusual stuff. I have cases of all of Dale Jr's cars when he was driving the #8 and many of the cases have 4 or 6 boxed cars in each case. I haven't even cut the tape on the cases to check them to make sure they are the actual cars they are supposed to be but I have never gotten the wrong stuff when dealing with those who I bought from on those items.

I had one guy who threw a fit because I had actually opened the box of an individual die cast piece and had cut the little clear plastic circle on the end flap which shows they were sealed at the manufacturer. With that circle cut, he refused to take possession of the item. Oh well, i gladly took it back and put it away. Every now and then my wife will ask me what all of the cases stacked in the walk in closets in the guest rooms are and I will tell her "it's just my stuff"......

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I came on this topic as I didn't know what Scripophily was. I also didn't know people collected these kind of things. New to me. Thanks for the knowledge. :bigthumb:
Just one more example of how the GTT forum is always increasing our knowledge! Even in non John Deere ways.....:bigthumb:

Now that just made me wonder if I have any John Deere stock certificates in my collection. I never thought to check before. Now I will......

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool, would love to see a few pics of some.

My collecting addiction is vintage camping trailers. A little more bulky that certificates. :laugh:
Just FYI, I am about an hour or so driving time from the National RV Museum in Elkhart, Indiana. If you ever need anything from any of those companies in that area, which as you know is the major historical RV production and parts center for many different brands, models, etc., just let me know and I would be glad to help you out.

If it is a part or something you want someone to look at and check out and get pictures, just let me know. Like I need a reason to jump on my Harley and buzz across the border.....

But seriously, if something ever comes up from that area and you need a hand, don't hesitate to PM me and I will gladly do what I can to help you out. I used to deal with several of the supplier companies over the years when I owned a cargo trailer dealership and hitch business plus over the years, I have had numerous RV's myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts