Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love this time of the year with all the bowl games on television. I'm a diehard Buckeye and Big Ten fan. The one time a year I rout for Michigan, and right now they are letting me down. Let's go Blue! :yahoo:

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Pita full game killing me. Go Blue

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that was ugly. Didn't represent the Big 10 very well. :gaah:

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Boy oh boy that was bad :banghead:

See what MSU can do on Monday

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Who shows up

The fun of college games is to see which teams show up. Some teams just don't seem to handle the layoff, long wait etc. well and they either come out flat or so excited they forget how to play. If they play a team that's really ready to play, it's a lousy game.

Of course, sometimes the matchups just aren't even but realistically most teams that make it to a bowl game have the ability to play pretty good football. It's just that the elite teams do it every week and the also rans only play well some of the time. Part of that is the elite teams have 2-3 deep players that could start for anyone else so if the first string gets tired or injured, the second or third guy is just as good.

I didn't see the first part of the Alabama/Oklahoma game last night. It was 28-0 when I turned it on but I'll give Oklahoma a lot of credit. They played Bama even the rest of the game and crept back into it. Evidently they were too wound up at the start but once they decided to play, they were pretty good. Albama was just Bama, should go ahead and move to the NFL and be done with it.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
The fun of college games is to see which teams show up. Some teams just don't seem to handle the layoff, long wait etc. well and they either come out flat or so excited they forget how to play. If they play a team that's really ready to play, it's a lousy game.

Of course, sometimes the matchups just aren't even but realistically most teams that make it to a bowl game have the ability to play pretty good football. It's just that the elite teams do it every week and the also rans only play well some of the time. Part of that is the elite teams have 2-3 deep players that could start for anyone else so if the first string gets tired or injured, the second or third guy is just as good.

I didn't see the first part of the Alabama/Oklahoma game last night. It was 28-0 when I turned it on but I'll give Oklahoma a lot of credit. They played Bama even the rest of the game and crept back into it. Evidently they were too wound up at the start but once they decided to play, they were pretty good. Albama was just Bama, should go ahead and move to the NFL and be done with it.

Treefarmer
The first quarter of the Oklahoma/Alabama game was rather like watching the ferry sink with your '55 Chevy convertible on it. Pretty dismal...but they eventually did make a good account of themselves. There's a lot of "what ifs", but after all, the idea is to play all four quarters.

·
Registered
192 Posts
OU/Bama was over in the first quarter. Bama players are just soo much better than everyone else. I believe the only reason OU got back in the game is the Bama players let off the gas. That's why we saw Saban destroying his headset, and berating players as they walked off the field. He know's what it takes to win titles, and he knows if they don't play a full 4 quarters of football, then can get beat.

I was hoping OU would show better...but their defense is just horrible. Good-God, I think Bama hit the slant-pass any time they needed a play.

I really think Clemson has the defense to take Bama. Going to be a fun game to watch.

Unfortunately for every other team in College Football, we are all playing for 3rd place until Saban and Dabo retire or are lured to the NFL.

I'm a Nebraska life long fan. Grew up watching T.Osborne get schooled by Switzer's OU teams year after year. Loved watching the 'Skers beat Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis and Dwayne the Rock Johnson in the Orange Bowl : )

Sad to see Urban Meyer leave thee B1G. Hoping Frost can get Nebraska contending for conference and national titles some day.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not a fan of the bowl series. Prefer my national championships I guess... However, with how distorted the conferences are, even conference champs can vary a great deal in overall quality.

Either way, this Saturday it's horns up down in Frisco TX! Hail the herd! GO BISON!! :good2:

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
Well it's all over till it starts again in the fall. I'm talking college football. It's my favorite. I have been losing interest in the pros for a while now. I can't stand the whiny showboating look what I just did attitudes!:banghead: As of late the college kids are doing it too. Needs to be a lid put on all this crap for sure!

Yeah I know there is still one more game!! I could care less which one wins. Well, actually, I'd like to see 'Bama fall!:thumbup1gif: One thing for sure though. It's amazing how well the recruiting works down south!

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
Well it's all over till it starts again in the fall. I'm talking college football. It's my favorite. I have been losing interest in the pros for a while now. I can't stand the whiny showboating look what I just did attitudes!:banghead: As of late the college kids are doing it too. Needs to be a lid put on all this crap for sure!

Yeah I know there is still one more game!! I could care less which one wins. Well, actually, I'd like to see 'Bama fall!:thumbup1gif: One thing for sure though. It's amazing how well the recruiting works down south!
I agree. I hate that crap after a score or a big hit. Some college players act like they are preparing for the NFL. I would much rather see them score a TD, hand the ball to the referee and head for the sideline. The BS really irritates me. I haven't seen an NFL game in over two years. The kneelers are the ones who sent me away and the BS and the kneelers have kept me away. NFL leadership hasn't helped any either.

But, I love college football. I won't be able to stay awake to see the championship game, but if I wake up to pee, I'll check the score. Otherwise, the score will have to wait until morning. I do like to see Alabama win though.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I agree. I hate that crap after a score or a big hit. Some college players act like they are preparing for the NFL. I would much rather see them score a TD, hand the ball to the referee and head for the sideline. The BS really irritates me. I haven't seen an NFL game in over two years. The kneelers are the ones who sent me away and the BS and the kneelers have kept me away. NFL leadership hasn't helped any either.
The ticket prices for the Alabama - Clemson game might reflect the dislike for the showboating is spreading,,,

This year, you can get tickets for less than 10% of the price of last years tickets,,

SOMETHING has driven the price down by over 90%
The article I read said that the TV viewers may see a LOT of empty seats at the game,, :flag_of_truce:

I hate the targeting hits that are still occurring, that needs fixed,, ejection is not enough,,, missing the rest of the season might be better,,
the coaches need an incentive to teach the players how to be safe,,,

If the coach looses a few star recruits,, coaching WILL change,,,

·
Registered
192 Posts
I blame ESPN for all the showboating that is going on in the NFL and College Football. Everyone wants to be on the "highlight" on ESPN.

Heck, there was a really good article years ago on college football teams moving up in divisions, just so they could be seen on the ESPN ticker that shows at bottom of the screen. Athletic Directors wanted the free advertising, to help get better recruits, win more games, get more $$ for Coaches/facilities/ticket sales.

I haven't watched ESPN in years. Hate how they are biased towards SEC in College Football, Yankees/Red Sox in baseball, and pretty much ignore any NBA teams that don't have LeBron or Steph Curry. And don't get me started on hockey...ESPN failed there.

In the end it's all about viewers/TV/money/contracts.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
I blame ESPN for all the showboating that is going on in the NFL and College Football. Everyone wants to be on the "highlight" on ESPN.

Heck, there was a really good article years ago on college football teams moving up in divisions, just so they could be seen on the ESPN ticker that shows at bottom of the screen. Athletic Directors wanted the free advertising, to help get better recruits, win more games, get more $$ for Coaches/facilities/ticket sales.

I haven't watched ESPN in years. Hate how they are biased towards SEC in College Football, Yankees/Red Sox in baseball, and pretty much ignore any NBA teams that don't have LeBron or Steph Curry. And don't get me started on hockey...ESPN failed there.

In the end it's all about viewers/TV/money/contracts.
I only watch college football and NASCAR. I do not care for ESPN at all. I watch Army football on CBS Sports and then find another game to watch to fill the Saturday afternoon in the Fall. ESPN also has the Big 10 channel, the SEC channel and next fall the ACC channel.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
I only watch college football and NASCAR. I do not care for ESPN at all. I watch Army football on CBS Sports and then find another game to watch to fill the Saturday afternoon in the Fall. ESPN also has the Big 10 channel, the SEC channel and next fall the ACC channel.
With the raiding of the home of the DC Solar CEO and also the company headquarters on December 21st, Chip Ganassi shut down the 42 team for the Xfinity series, which is really unfortunate because the driver slated to drive the 42 in Xfinity, Ross Chastain, really deserved a shot at a good ride with a good team.

Everything I have found seems to indicate the issue with the DC Solar CEO comes down to a long standing dispute which he has had with the IRS on tax credits, etc. DC Solar leases a lot of the equipment they place with residential and commercial customers and as a result, the company owning the asset receives the tax credit, etc. There has been a long on going issue with the IRS claiming that DC Solar shouldn't be able to claim certain tax credits which were designed for the end user as an incentive to help the end user offset the high cost of the equipment. I know I have read about this tax credit issue for quite some time. DC Solar by owning the assets and leasing them, claims the credits. There was also some talk of the alleged misuse of the various credits.

I don't know the actual specifics of the matter beyond it most likely being tied to tax credits. While the FBI raid is an aggressive move, I do know first hand that if you push things a bit too far, the Feds respond with a sledge hammer to make a point. Been there, done that.......Lived to tell about it.

Don, apparently Roush has also lost Lilly as a sponsor as well as other major sponsors leaving the sport and so as it sits right now, neither Ganassi nor Roush are going to be fielding any cars in the Xfinity series. While this does open the door for smaller teams, the truth is the financial threshold to play in NASCAR continues to grow and if something doesn't change, the Xfinity and Truck Series are both going to be fielding many fewer competitors in the series.

If this trend doesn't change, NASCAR will be headed into a future which is more uncertain than at any other time I can think of.......Not only are spectators not interested, increasing numbers of sponsors aren't interested which means fewer teams and cars. This is a death spiral if something doesn't happen. Most of the Xfinity teams aren't viable businesses, they are enthusiasts funding the team out of their own pockets, which is harder and harder to do each year.

The ticket prices for the Championship College game are selling for as low as $115 for a ticket (today) with a face value selling price of $599 or more. In fact, I have read where if something doesn't change, the tickets will be down in the $70 range to avoid empty seats. They are also using the trick of covering sections of the stands with advertising to make the empty seats appear to be bill boards. Just imagine how they will have to give the ads away to get the tarps to cover the seats.

Also, the scheduling of putting the game on Monday night on the west coast, thousands of miles from either schools campus, leads the interest in the game very flat.

I am not a huge football fan and i won't watch the KneeFL at all. But the one thing about the way the game is played which always drives me nuts is how the teams manage their playing time. For the first 3.5 quarters of the game, they just play along trying to not have a delay of game penalty.

Then, after squandering many minutes of playing time, they always get obsessed with the last few minutes of the game trying to be as efficient as possible. Then when they don't score to tie or win in the last few minutes, they over analyze what could have been different in those few minutes while the majority of the time remains ignored.

Perhaps the pressure of playing the entire game measuring every second would be more than the team could handle. Maybe the fans wouldn't like to have to pay that close of attention to every minute of the game if the playing was all as intense as the last few minutes.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
I occasionally listen to NASCAR radio. It seems as though the common topic is how to get more people in the stands. I live an hour from Pocono and two hours from Watkins Glen. I have been to two races at Pocono, both of which were rained out early in the race, and have never been to a race at Watkins Glen. It's much easier for me to watch from the recliner. My normal routine is to see the beginning, go outside and do something, and come in for the last twenty or thirty laps.

I wasn't aware of Genassi and Rousch not running cars in the Xfinity races. Rousch owned the Busch series when Mark Martin drove the 60 car. For some reason, Rousch has not found the right combination in either series for the last few years. I really like Jack Rousch and would like to see his cars do well.

I have heard reports on the ticket prices for the college championship games, some as low as $30, but I can't remember where on TV I heard the report. If you don't live in the area, the cost for air travel, hotel and living expenses would preclude most of us from attending. Again, I would rather watch on TV. I won't see the championship game, because I can't stay awake that long and then get up at 0430 for work. I would think that attendance and TV watchers would be more apt to watch the game on Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow, I can honestly say I did not see that happening with Clemson and Bama last night.

I thought Bama was getting too much love from Vegas with the 14+ spread vs. Sooners (OU covered), and thought 5.5 points over Clemson was a little high...

But considering how Bama just manhandles teams in the trenches, I did not think Clemson would win as they did last night.

A few observations from watching the game:

- Felt like Clemson was doubting themselves early in that game, even after getting the pick-six, and going up early. It was as if they were waiting for Bama to explode...which they did not. As the game wore on you could see their confidence growing.
- Saban gambled last night with the fake field-goal, in much same way he gambled with on-side kick a few years ago. When Bama lined up for the FG, even my daughter said, "look Dad, Clemson is playing for a fake...they have defenders off the ball..." I think Saban knew his defense was not going to stop Clemson, and he needed touchdowns instead of field-goals.
- Saban was uncharacteristically calm on the sidelines last night. No throwing headsets, and just a simple "god damnitt" on Tua's first interception that turned in to a pick-six. Did he know it was only a matter of time...
- Bama's offensive coordinator did himself no favors. When you are gashing Clemson's defense for 7-10 yards on zone runs, you should...wait for it...KEEP RUNNING THE BALL! Why did Bama get away from the run game? Gash Clemson, run the ball, control the clock, wear down their defensive line, keep the game close, then drop in some play-action to get the kill.
- Venables had an OUTSTANDING defensive game plan. Dialing up blitzes, mixing coverages...made Tua have to think...and forced errors. And they came up HUGE on fourth downs.
- My daughter noticed Bama was getting no pressure on Clemson's QB with just a four man rush. He had plenty of time in the pocket to survey the field and make throws.

The big question in my mind after watching last night's game...did we just witness the beginning of the end of the Alabama dynasty?

If Clemson had won a close game, or even won with a last second score as they did a few years back, none of this "end of Bama" conversation would be happening. But Bama got soundly beaten, by 28 points.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
Yes, Alabama got their a$$ handed to them. I didn't see the game. Night games don't go with a 0430 wakeup. I was very surprised at the score. If I were a gambler, I would not have bet a nickel on either. I thought it would be that close.

As aside, Army finished the final rankings at 19. First time since 1996, if I remember the article correctly.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I didn't see the game but I'm glad of the outcome.

I cut the cord a few years ago. I hate that public school games are not shown on OTA. Should be required.

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Enjoyed the game

Wow, I can honestly say I did not see that happening with Clemson and Bama last night.

I thought Bama was getting too much love from Vegas with the 14+ spread vs. Sooners (OU covered), and thought 5.5 points over Clemson was a little high...

But considering how Bama just manhandles teams in the trenches, I did not think Clemson would win as they did last night.

A few observations from watching the game:

- Felt like Clemson was doubting themselves early in that game, even after getting the pick-six, and going up early. It was as if they were waiting for Bama to explode...which they did not. As the game wore on you could see their confidence growing.
- Saban gambled last night with the fake field-goal, in much same way he gambled with on-side kick a few years ago. When Bama lined up for the FG, even my daughter said, "look Dad, Clemson is playing for a fake...they have defenders off the ball..." I think Saban knew his defense was not going to stop Clemson, and he needed touchdowns instead of field-goals.
- Saban was uncharacteristically calm on the sidelines last night. No throwing headsets, and just a simple "god damnitt" on Tua's first interception that turned in to a pick-six. Did he know it was only a matter of time...
- Bama's offensive coordinator did himself no favors. When you are gashing Clemson's defense for 7-10 yards on zone runs, you should...wait for it...KEEP RUNNING THE BALL! Why did Bama get away from the run game? Gash Clemson, run the ball, control the clock, wear down their defensive line, keep the game close, then drop in some play-action to get the kill.
- Venables had an OUTSTANDING defensive game plan. Dialing up blitzes, mixing coverages...made Tua have to think...and forced errors. And they came up HUGE on fourth downs.
- My daughter noticed Bama was getting no pressure on Clemson's QB with just a four man rush. He had plenty of time in the pocket to survey the field and make throws.

The big question in my mind after watching last night's game...did we just witness the beginning of the end of the Alabama dynasty?

If Clemson had won a close game, or even won with a last second score as they did a few years back, none of this "end of Bama" conversation would be happening. But Bama got soundly beaten, by 28 points.

Thoughts?
I'm not a fan of either school so I could just sit back and enjoy watching it. I agree with your analysis, particularly on the Alabama run game and the Clemson defense. Venables did have a great plan but when Alabama left the run game, it played right into the Clemson plans. The fake field goal was stupid- the announcers picked up on it, Clemson picked up on it and probably half the people watching thought it was coming. It's also amazing to me that with Alabama's run at the top of college football they don't have a decent kicking game. Any decent college team should have a kicker that's pretty solid from 40 yards in. Over 40 yards on a consistent basis takes a pretty good kicker, long snapper, holder but I'll bet Saban is looking at the soccer team for a kicker or recruiting out of HS. I would be. . .

A few other thoughts. The Clemson quarterback played lights out. I know he's a good quarterback but the final three quarters were about as good as you can get and he's a true freshman. Will he continue to improve? If so, Clemson could be replace Alabama at the top for the next 2-3 years. The Clemson receivers helped him out as well with few, if any drops and some amazing catches. Still, I think that quarterback was just in the zone for the later part of the game which is really fun to watch but demoralizing for the Alabama defense. If you are playing almost perfect pass coverage and the kid throws a back shoulder out which arrives perfectly placed 1/2 second after the receiver makes his cut there just isn't much you can do on defense.

Fun stuff to watch. I seldom have watched the NFL after they went off into the deep end of the idiot pool but still enjoy the college games.

Treefarmer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts