Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a guy tell me the other day that the deere combines are more prone to fire than case/NH. I'm trying to figure out if he was blowing smoke (no pun intended) or if deere is really more prone to fires than case.

On the other hand, he is a diehard fiat fanboy so...:mocking:

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
We have every color of combine under the rainbow here, and my windshield drive and talking with local farmer experience says the fire is not brand specific, but more related to the failure to properly maintain the equipment. Lots of guys have a battery leaf blower they use to blow the chaff and debris away from the engine and feeder housing area more than once a day, and of course keeping an eye out for failed bearings and componets when doing the morning walk through.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Had a guy tell me the other day that the deere combines are more prone to fire than case/NH. I'm trying to figure out if he was blowing smoke (no pun intended) or if deere is really more prone to fires than case.

On the other hand, he is a diehard fiat fanboy so...:mocking:

any thoughts?
The reason they are more prone to fire is because There Are More of them so... We’ve had two different neighbors/friends burn up their round balers due to bearing failure. Both were New Holland’s so don’t think they are more prone to you just see more New Holland balers around here.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We have every color of combine under the rainbow here, and my windshield drive and talking with local farmer experience says the fire is not brand specific, but more related to the failure to properly maintain the equipment. Lots of guys have a battery leaf blower they use to blow the chaff and debris away from the engine and feeder housing area more than once a day, and of course keeping an eye out for failed bearings and componets when doing the morning walk through.
This ^

·
Registered
588 Posts
The reason they are more prone to fire is because There Are More of them so... We’ve had two different neighbors/friends burn up their round balers due to bearing failure. Both were New Holland’s so don’t think they are more prone to you just see more New Holland balers around here.
Just because there is more of them, doesn’t mean there will be more fires. I live in the Memphis area, which has more black folks than white folks. The black people are complaining that there are more blacks in the city jail than there are white people. Just makes good sense to me that whoever is the majority race would then have the majority race in jail. But these folks call it racist.

I guess it all depends where you live if something is more prone to happen or not. Sorry about telling the truth, but a lot of folks don’t like to hear it.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
:think:a
Just because there is more of them, doesn’t mean there will be more fires. I live in the Memphis area, which has more black folks than white folks. The black people are complaining that there are more blacks in the city jail than there are white people. Just makes good sense to me that whoever is the majority race would then have the majority race in jail. But these folks call it racist.

I guess it all depends where you live if something is more prone to happen or not. Sorry about telling the truth, but a lot of folks don’t like to hear it.
:think:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Maybe

Deere has had a couple of models that seem to be more prone to fires but I think it's an overstatement to say all Deere are more prone than all Case IH. I know one farmer who had a Deere catch on fire three times. He put it out before too much damage was done but the third time was it- he traded for something different. I also know a Case IH owner who lost a virtually new combine last year and he is pretty meticulous about his equipment.

I'll have to check with some friends who are claims people to see if there is any real data.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
3 yers ago my son was running a new Deere that did not catch on fire but was smoldering and smoking. He stopped before it was flames and the fire department put it out. It was 1 in the morning. Factory reps were there that morning to inspect it. I would say they take it quite seriously.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I screwing around on the interwbs and heard that the Australian insurance commission did a study... they didn't find any brand with a higher fire rate than another.

Now the guy i was talking to said that the deere DEALER said that the Deere's are inherently flawed and prone to fire... I still think he got a tone blown up his A$$. ::crazy:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Might have been one time

I screwing around on the interwbs and heard that the Australian insurance commission did a study... they didn't find any brand with a higher fire rate than another.

Now the guy i was talking to said that the deere DEALER said that the Deere's are inherently flawed and prone to fire... I still think he got a tone blown up his A$$. ::crazy:
There may be some leftover feeling from when Deere was later with the idea of rotary combines. As I recall, Gleaner, New Holland and IH all went rotary when Deere was using a conventional design. The rotarys are a bit simpler and may have been less fire prone. That's just a guess and someone could easily prove me wrong.

Treefarmer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts