Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<Rant>

Why can't they bury it more than an inch deep? I was clearing an overgrown area to the side of our driveway and I snagged it with the box blade and tore it. The last time they buried it, they moved it, which I didn't know. To be fair, I didn't call 811. Didn't think I needed to call just to scrape the weeds off of the surface...

My repair appointment is, get this, June 30th.

:mad:

</Rant>

Thank you for letting me vent. :)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
That shallow and no protection over it. Are they idiots?

·
Registered
365 Posts
My Comcast cable is buried only a couple of inches down as well, and I pretty much know where it is in my yard. When I need to dig in that area I will grab an old transistor radio turn it on and lay it on the ground until I hear the static increase. I am able to locate my buried Comcast cable that way. I can use the same method to locate my in ground e-fence that I buried for my dog as well.

Back to your situation. You may be able to strip the wire back and connect a jumper between the center core wire to get you back in business until Comcast finds the time to do the repair.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the upside, they used RG11 for the run. I don't have any tools to deal with that, so I ran a piece of quad shield RG6 from the house to the street. I'm back in business. Both ends are covered and I ran it through the culvert under the driveway, so it should be good if it actually takes them 2 weeks to get out here.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
If you want it any more than a couple inches down, you'll have to provide the trench.

They don't call 811 either......They only go down as far as needed to "hide" it. Getting any further down than under the grass would require some work. You really don't thing they are gonna work do you?

You're probably better off with your temp cable.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Comcrap and Century Fink (Ma Bell) only bury them a 2 - 4 inches here too. I nailed both one time with my back-blade. At least I called 811 and had them marked so the utilities couldn't jump on my case for nailing the lines.

When the house next door was built last summer, the CATV and phone lines were in conduit at least 24" below grade. Maybe there has been a code upgrade here requiring that.

All low voltage wiring gets short changed when it comes to a proper installation.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Cable companies are notorious for shallow underground & low overhead cables! I've plowed them up when plowing gardens & taken them out when hauling farm tractors in the past. Municipal utilities once cut ours at the pole in our front yard when replacing underground electric cable. The cable company (Suddenlink) put in a "temporary" line, took them several months to get around to burying it! Same ones hung one across the road for the house next door, box truck took it out, tearing it off their house. ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Comcrap and Century Fink (Ma Bell) only bury them a 2 - 4 inches here too. I nailed both one time with my back-blade. At least I called 811 and had them marked so the utilities couldn't jump on my case for nailing the lines.

When the house next door was built last summer, the CATV and phone lines were in conduit at least 24" below grade. Maybe there has been a code upgrade here requiring that.

All low voltage wiring gets short changed when it comes to a proper installation.
I don't see a necessity to call 811 if I am only working on the surface. At a minimum burried cables should be below the frost line.

I would say it is not the operators fault for an improperly installed cable.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I don't see a necessity to call 811 if I am only working on the surface. At a minimum burried cables should be below the frost line.

We have underground utilities in my neighborhood. We never hooked up with cable, but we have to be very careful digging around within 6 feet of the house. The telephone line goes 3/4 the way around the house and is at a depth of 0" to 4". I've cut it once digging footers for our deck 15 years ago, and uncovered it recently removing a nearby tree. Our power lines are also "buried" but we haven't dug much where those are located. I can only imagine that they are less than 24" down at most.

Regarding putting them below the frost line, that's 48" where we live, and I can't see the cable/telephone company bring in equipment to trench that deep. We called 811 to "locate" our utilities, but they can't tell me "how deep" any of the wires are. We took a lot of pictures so we can estimate where they are at any time as the paint lines are long gone.

Now my question is "who owns" the wire in the ground. For our telephone, I am told Ma Bell owns up to the interface on the side of the house, anything after and inside is my responsibility. For my 110/220, who owns the part from the connection box at the edge of my property to my meter?

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts

I agree with your comments; but the utility companies have the big bucks to get the laws written to favor them when it comes to who is responsible for cutting a line. So the minor inconvenience to call for a locate is worth the CYA factor for me.

As for frost line depth, that could be pretty deep and unreasonable depending on where one lives. I say phone and cable lines should be buried the same depth as electrical service lines are.

Now my question is "who owns" the wire in the ground. For our telephone, I am told Ma Bell owns up to the interface on the side of the house, anything after and inside is my responsibility. For my 110/220, who owns the part from the connection box at the edge of my property to my meter?

Just my 2 cents.
Around here the phone and cable companies own the wires until they reach the boxes on the side of your house. The electrical and gas lines are owned by the utilities up to the meter, after that they are yours.

But the water companies out here fall under the "Special District Form of Small Government" that Colorado set up in 1946, which means they can do pretty much whatever they want, and they don't participate in 811. Our meter is inside the basement; but the worthless water company only claims pipe ownership to the stop-valve serving your property, which is usually by the street.

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Being a retired resident installer repairmen of OLD ma bell and trained close to 40 yrs ago. We were given a spade bar appx 5 -6 " in length and with a curve on the bottom of bar and the base app 1/2-3/4" across and the height was about 5-6" high. The company wanted us to bury the underground cable going to your house the depth of that bar. This spade bar had a step welded above the tallest part of bar and a waist high handle . I can tell you , you could step ,jump on that step and if you got it to even start to go below the grass you was lucky.
Most of the time I would use the tire wrench , or largest screwdriver and scratch out a path for the wire to be placed . Several yrs later ,they gave us a shovel and you know your lawn , some places rocks are just inches from the top soil and trying to plant a flower or a tree can be a pain. On top of trying to get your line just buried so no one would trip over the line the company would want another 7-10 jobs done .
Yes we could turn the job over to a non union contractor and depending where you lived , mobile home parks ,forget about using a trencher to bury your line. Yes they would use a trencher if they felt like it or could because of rocks even then I think they only had to go 6-12"..
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two very nice Comcast employees (not contractors) came today and spliced my cable. They said that the policy is that the cable is supposed to be buried a minimum of 6" deep, but acknowledged that is rarely the case as contractors are the ones that bury the cables and they aren't held accountable. They are gone, here is their handywork as it sits now. You can see part of my 350' "patch" in the upper part of the pic by the driveway.

IMAG0727.jpg

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
When they ran cable out to my area a few years ago, the appointment for them to hook my house up was for afternoon. So on the day I had to be somewhere else that morning but made it a point to be home in time as I wanted to show them where to run the cable thru my yard. I was thinking of putting in a storm cellar and wanted the cable to skirt that area.

So I get home before noon and the contractor is already there and just about has the cable run, and of course right smack in the middle of the area I did not want it in. He was using the machine that just plows it in a few inches deep. I told him what I was planning and asked him to redo that part of the cable. He refused and his answer was, "when you get ready just go ahead and cut it and call the cable company, they will send someone to fix it."

Just like the old adage, there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but there's always time to redo it later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts