Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a JD 647 tiller on my 2520 and it’s been reliable and good to me but if I could change one thing it would be the depth! The specs say 7” depth but I can’t get it

Looking to upgrade to a 3038E but am curious as to what tiller will give me additional depth? The JD655 and JD665 both still say 7”. Will either of these tillers get me deeper then my current JD647?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Id think this would be a setup or adjustment issue with the hitch.
Do you have shoes on the tiller? Maybe try removing them.
Tilling depth is generally the max recommended depth. Once you get deep enough, you end up getting the tine shaft itself in the dirt, and while you can till like that, its harder on the tiller.
My 30 Hydraulic tiller has a 6" max depth, but Ive gone deeper than that. I have no shoes or skids on it, and the hitch is set to let the tiller go as deep as I want it, which is more than the 6", I just dont usually let it go past that.
Any chance your hitch just wont allow it to go lower?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Like he said, the shaft and shoes are generally your limiting factor.
If you really want to go deep, a plow, chisel, or ripper are what you need. Tillers aren't intended to be deep tillage tools.

FYI, other than breaking up roads/paths or heavy compaction, the average farmer is only digging 4-5 inches at most. The majority of the tillage they do is in the top 2-3"

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Like he said, the shaft and shoes are generally your limiting factor.
If you really want to go deep, a plow, chisel, or ripper are what you need. Tillers aren't intended to be deep tillage tools.

FYI, other than breaking up roads/paths or heavy compaction, the average farmer is only digging 4-5 inches at most. The majority of the tillage they do is in the top 2-3"
This right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :thumbup1gif:

I have run my tiller probably 8-9" in well worked soil but that really isn't good for the tiller, that was in very loose soil. The tines are supposed to be able to clean out when they come around to the top. On average the most depth you will normally get out of a tiller is 5-6" deep, chisel plowing is only 7-10" consistently.
And it also makes no difference what brand tiller you are referring too, a tiller is a tiller, pretty basic in design.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I agree with everything above but will add; tipping it forward will make it go deeper but it is going to take you a couple passes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts